Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
Sabrina

I'm unable to adjust the F stop please help!!!

I have a pentax camera and I'm able to everything except the F stop. It shows the F stop as __. Does anyone know how to fix this?

01-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What camera and lens? It could be dirty contacts between the two (an erasure or cotton tip with a little isopropyl alcohol works). Or it could be an older lens that won’t transmit data to the camera.
01-19-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Sabrina Quote
I have a pentax camera and I'm able to everything except the F stop. It shows the F stop as __. Does anyone know how to fix this?
If your lens has an "A" on the aperture ring, set it to "A".

If your lens has no aperture ring, see above.

If your lens is manual, see below:

How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-19-2018, 07:28 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
It shows the F stop as __.
What this means is that the camera does not detect a lens with electrical contacts on the base and is unable to control the aperture* as a result. The causes include:
  • The lens does not have the required contacts for body-controlled aperture. With such lenses, one must set the aperture manually using the ring on the lens.
  • The lens may have the contacts, but the aperture ring is not in the "A" position. On most, this means pushing a small button on the side of the aperture ring to allow it to slip into this position. (Lenses without aperture rings should always be detectable.)
  • The contacts on lens and/or body might be fouled (dirty) and unable to properly conduct electricity. In that case a light buffing with a clean microfiber cloth is usually enough to get them clean.
As noted above, lenses without the "A" contacts on the base are still usable, but require special attention if one wants to use the built-in meter.

Steve

* The f-number on the LCD display is the setting to be applied, not the setting as detected.