Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
Dean Knudsen

istDL internal battery replacement

Does istDL have internal battery that needs to be changed? If so, how often and how easy is this procedure?

03-10-2018, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If the camera is still retaining the time and date when you swap batteries, the internal battery is fine.

Replacing the internal battery is not easy -- it's likely to be soldered on to the main circuit board.

Last edited by photoptimist; 03-12-2018 at 07:06 PM. Reason: corrected a correction (thanks stihlmania!)
03-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure about the DL, but my ist D uses a 2016 cell for keeping date and time. There's a small circular door on the bottom that retains the cell.
03-10-2018, 07:24 PM - 2 Likes   #4
maw
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Hi Dean,

I think you refer to the buffer battery, which is on the bottom of the camera, (I own the *istD), I think the function is equal to the DL,
You need to replace the battery with a Lithium CR2016 (or similar) which is needed to keep the camera updated, the Date, and maybe other parameters.
The duration is variable depending on how new the battery is, but a few years certainly, the procedure is very simple.

Let me know if it is the one you are referring to.

03-12-2018, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
If the camera is still retaining the time and date when you swap batteries, the internal battery is fine.

Replacing the internal battery is not easy -- it's likely to be soldered on to the main circuit board. -- see maw's answer.
The 1st DL and 1st DS both have the memory battery internally mounted on the main board, the 1st D has a replaceable memory battery on the bottom center of the camera.
03-12-2018, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
maw
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Hi Dean,

1) If the date and time are working, you don't have to worry, see page 25 of the manual, it is written that you need to use the CR-V3 or Lithium Battery or AA Alkaline batteries for power supply.

2) If you do not see the correct date and time at power on, the problem It is almost certainly due to internal power supply, in which case you will have to send it to a service center, I think.

If you can tell us how exactly is the situation.
03-18-2018, 05:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

As others have noted before me.....the ist-D uses a 2016 coin type battery, and is accessed on the bottom of the camera.

The ist-DL does not use a battery, but rather a capacitor to retain / provide power to the camera when the main batteries are either dead, or being replaced by the user. If the date and time change when you replace the main batteries (AA's) then you'll need to either open up the camera and replace this capacitor (not easy) or simply live with the issue.

I will point out that the capacitor was never designed to be replaced by the user....however, it can be done. Getting the camera back together afterwards is probably the most difficult part of the procedure.