Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
CLrog

Pentax Spotmatic SP question

Hello, I have a Spotmatic SP, in which the light meter does not work because of the battery. I do have a hand held meter which I use. It seems like the shutter will open and close correctly in spite of this, is that correct ? Is it better to replace the battery anyways for the camera function? Thanks

03-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Spotmatic will work/fire the shutter without a battery, as the battery is used only for the light meter (hence the switch on the front). If you want to use the in-body lightmeter you'll need a battery, but since you have a hand-held lightmeter you can use that if you want too.
03-23-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
CLrog

thanks

thanks for your note, it seems like sometimes the mirror gets stuck in the 'up' position after I trip the shutter, not sure why that would happen. Often when I trip the shutter again it resets
03-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CLrog Quote
thanks for your note, it seems like sometimes the mirror gets stuck in the 'up' position after I trip the shutter, not sure why that would happen. Often when I trip the shutter again it resets
Can you reach in and gently pry the mirror down? Sometimes, with very old cameras like the Spotmatic, the foam cushion around the focusing screen, that is there to soften the blow when the mirror flips up, can get soft and sticky. Occasionally, the mirror will stick to the foam.

If it resists coming back down, then there is probably something broken or out of adjustment inside the camera. Having this fixed, if you can't do it yourself, may be more expensive than the camera is worth.

03-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CLrog Quote
This is a very common problem, caused by dried or gunked up lube in the mechanism. I just fixed mine today...it took a couple of hours, required taking the bottom off and working in a few drops of alcohol or naphtha, then once dry, a drop or two of watch oil. All is now well with the mirror. A better (longer lasting) fix is to strip it down fully and give everything a good soak clean or an ultrasonic bath, but it'll do for a while.
04-08-2018, 01:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
May I suggest that you join the Spotmatic group on Yahoo: Yahoo! Groups

There are many there who can give you lots of help. Plus there is a lot of information on many topics related to Spotmatics. I started the group back in 2000 but I am no longer the group's owner. However, I am still a member.