Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2018, 06:08 PM   #1
debjimweber

Pentax K-3 II with weather proof-sealed body

I am interested in Purchasing the Pentax K-3 II which also has a weather proof, sealed magnesium alloy body w/92 different environmental seals, which sits over the top of the steel chassis. Can you tell me where and the cost of this Pentax? Thanks in advance for your help. Deb Weber.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 04-16-2018 at 06:41 PM.
04-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Deb
The K-3ii can be bought from a number of retailers.
Here are two options: Pentax K-3ii | B&H Photo Video
And: pentax k-3ii buy or learn at Adorama

You could also look at the KP as an option:
https://www.adorama.com/l/?searchinfo=pentax+kp
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Pentax%20KP&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&...op+Nav-Search=
04-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by debjimweber Quote
I am interested in Purchasing the Pentax K-3 II which also has a weather proof, sealed magnesium alloy body w/92 different environmental seals, which sits over the top of the steel chassis. Can you tell me where and the cost of this Pentax? Thanks in advance for your help. Deb Weber.
The K-3 II itself is weather sealed. No need for any other accessories.

Note that weather sealed does not mean waterproof (i.e. don't put it underwater).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-16-2018, 07:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have a K-3II. It is an excellent camera.

04-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As Adam said, It is more like "weather sealed" body than "weather proof" body.
04-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As already mentioned, the K-3 II is widely available. For specific advice it would help to know where you are.

The weather sealing is a reassurance, not a guarantee. I have had my gear thoroughly soaked in conditions where other photographers have put their cameras away, and lived to tell the tale, but that doesn't mean I go out of my way to get it wet. Also be aware that you need a weather sealed lens mounted on the camera for the sealing to be effective.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 04-16-2018 at 10:40 PM. Reason: typo
04-16-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For the WR lens, I recommend the DA16-85. Quite nice and also weather resistant.

04-16-2018, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I pushed my K-3's WR too much in the rain forests of Costa Rica last year. It did not survive. I blame myself not the camera. A great camera but just know that there IS a limit on how much rain it can take.
04-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A very good camera, Deb, but no camera is waterproof, which is why pros buy housings for them.

It's great at being weather resistant, as you've read, but that's not the same thing. You will not be able to claim warranty if sand or water's found inside it by repairers.
04-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The K-3 II is technically discontinued but remains available from major dealers, including B&H and Adorama. While it is highly resistant to water and dust ingress, it is not completely impervious to the elements. I've personally dealt with a malfunction on my K-3 II (with no lasting damage) after continuous exposure to heavy rain for more than an hour during a soccer assignment more than two years ago.

Draco
05-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
A very good camera, Deb, but no camera is waterproof, which is why pros buy housings for them.

It's great at being weather resistant, as you've read, but that's not the same thing. You will not be able to claim warranty if sand or water's found inside it by repairers.

Assuming we are talking about damage only through "weather" then thats actually wrong.

I claimed warranty for a K-5II where that happened.
It seems it was a problem with the sealing of the mounted lens.
If you only use WeatherResistant gear, it "ipso facto" has to be weather sealed.
Especially if you have a "legal costs insurance" and your gear is still under warranty, you should insist.
At least that is what I did, when that first happened to me. Afterwards i took an insurance.. because you sometimes even when you know you'll get it, you can have a hard time claiming your guarantee.
(depends on whom youre talking to)

But i am pretty sure there is a way to check if you literally drowned your gear.. (such indicators where also built into some early PDAs)
That is something you can not claim warranty for - dumbness.

Cause there is a straight line between UNDERWATER |and| WEATHER RESISTANCY.

Nonetheless if you are really into professional photography and plan to use your gear under dangerous environmental conditions all (or most of) the time, you should get a "photographer insurance"...
BTW i always put an additional rubber gasket on my lenses when i go outside, because insurance or not i dont want to miss it for longer than one day.

(You put that on your lens first -its gotta be a flexible one- and after you mounted the lens, you roll it down till it slips in the "mount gap")
05-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hitrate Quote
Assuming we are talking about damage only through "weather" then thats actually wrong.

I claimed warranty for a K-5II where that happened.
You were at their mercy, Hitrate.

Read the warranty.

You're not covered for water ingress!

Last edited by clackers; 05-26-2018 at 08:07 PM.
05-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #13

Whatever you say clackers,...

To me and my legal understanding WEATHER RESISTANT means weather resistant.(words layed open bind deeds... if they are written on the lens or in the warranty booklet doesnt matter IMHO)
Otherwise they should correctly start to sign their "not so tough" gear... with WS for "weather sealed" which in contrary to WR doesnt contain the liability of "RESISTANCE" in their wording.

If you for your person feel like PENTAX would normally drop you like a hot potatoe in such cases, that is OK and maybe I shouldnt answer you and let your statement stand for itself so people use there gear with more "personal responsibility".
<Because most of them feel "entitled"(to anything including the performance of gear that costs 3 times more) anyway since they dropped more than 50 bucks on a digital camera.. LOL>

But to hit the spot... my feeling on the other hand is, that RICOH is about 100% more reliable in this point than SONY....
And even with Nikons and Canons you only get treated with such "mercy"(how you "amiably" call it) if you drop them 5grand for it... and not even then you can be sure, despite you are in some Pro-Support-Program.(What to my experience with Sony doesnt even mean immediate replacement.)

Talking about responsibility... RICOH thought the same way about it as I did. - Because it happened just by exposing it to the WEATHER.
- If the camera freezes on water ingress whilst a non-WR lens is mounted... I guess you are pretty fu44ed.(same goes for dropping it into water)
and nothing else... (I didnt even mention my legal insurance...)
as I explained before... the situation will have some other outcome if you drop your gear into a river.

Anyway. I feel a lot safer receiving what you call "mercy" with
a) Owning WR and AW PENTAX gear
b) having legal and photographers insurance. *ROFL*
and i believe that SONY for instance would never have exchanged the unit(s), since they dont claim the "weather resistancy" by using explicit wordings(lens signations) like PENTAX does.
05-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

with regard to Pentax WR or AW

may I suggest you look at this thread?

About those WR body weather seals...User responsibility and best practice - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

and please review

Murphy's Law - any thing that can go wrong will go wrong

and

Finnegan's corollary to Murphy's law - Murphy was an optimist
05-27-2018, 04:51 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hitrate Quote
Whatever you say clackers,...

To me and my legal understanding WEATHER RESISTANT means weather resistant.(words layed open bind deeds... if they are written on the lens or in the warranty booklet doesnt matter IMHO)
Otherwise they should correctly start to sign their "not so tough" gear... with WS for "weather sealed" which in contrary to WR doesnt contain the liability of "RESISTANCE" in their wording.
Hello hitrate,

English seems to be your second language, and 'weather resistant' carries *less* responsibility than 'weather proof'.

This is the international standard for ingress protection, and none of the brands attempt to get certified by it.

IP Rating Chart | DSMT.com

So please take time to check your warranty. Pentax, like Canon and Nikon and all the other camera manufacturers, do not have to cover you against water or sand entry.

Insurance is the only way to cope after it's happened.

I went to a workshop with a sports pro, and he kills a 1Dx every year or so, it's the insurers who pay the repairs or replacements. Ultimately, it's him through higher premiums, it's his livelihood so he's prepared to pay, as an amateur, you might not be so philosophical!