Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #1
Beth Sullivan

Auto 110 lens adapted for mobile phones

I have seen adapters for Auto 110 lenses for the Pentax Q and other cameras. I'm wondering, has anyone ever tried to mount them to a mobile phone? I see lenses you can buy now for mobile phones but I'm sure they aren't the quality of the Auto 110 lenses. I have a set from one of the very first cameras I ever owned. It would be nice to have a use for them.

Thanks!

06-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With how small the image sensors are on phones, I'm not sure you'll seem much of the quality of the lenses that way.

On the other hand, a Micro-4/3s camera has basically the same sensor size as 110 film, so it's a much better way of seeing what those lenses can do. The lack of an aperture-control on the 110 lenses could be a problem in bright sunlight, though.
06-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The registration distance is not very shot at 27mm - so over an inch. That could be awkward but not as bad as a full sized full frame K mount...
06-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

What a cool idea! I bet you could 3-D print a mount that would clip to your phone and place the lens the necessary 27mm away from the sensor.

john, wishing he had the time and means to do this.

06-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There's at least three solutions of varying degrees of complexity and efficacy.

1. Focusing screen: Mount the 110 lens in front of a ground-glass focusing screen than add a supplementary lens between the focusing screen and phone's lens to focusing the image on the screen.

2. Relay lens: Design a relay lens to refract and transmit the rays from the 110 lens into the phone lens.

3. Surgery: remove the phone's existing lens and mount the 110 lens in front of the bare sensor.

Option #1 is the easiest to make but the image quality might not be that great.

Option #2 takes major optical design and fabrication skillz and the image quality might not be that great.

Option #3 has the best image quality but requires a permanent modification of the phone.

Note: The add-on lenses for smartphones are not traditional lenses. They don't focus light so much as bend it to change the focal length of the phone'e built-in lens.
06-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
I have a set from one of the very first cameras I ever owned. It would be nice to have a use for them.
These lenses do very well on the diminuitive Panasonic GM1 and probably the GM5(if you can find one).
06-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #7
Beth Sullivan

auto 110 lens to mobile phone

Hmmmm.... seems like more effort than it's worth. I appreciate the explanation! Makes a lot of sense.