Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
Magio

Vignetting

Hello and Hola to every one.
I recently made the jump from Nikon to Pentax.
I am really happy with the Pentax colors and the quality of both the camera and the lenses, but I am having an issue with Vignetting with the 35mm 2.8. Every time I used the camera in full frame mode I get extreme vignette. Is this normal or did I get a lemon.
I never had this issue with Nikon.

07-03-2018, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello there...

I assume you're talking about the DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited lens? If so, that lens is designed for an APS-C sensor. The "DA" designation on Pentax lenses tells you this - much like Nikon DX lenses which are designed for APS-C, while FX lenses are for full-frame. The image circle produced by the lens isn't sufficient to cover a full frame sensor without significant vignetting.

Hope this helps
07-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 35mm f2.4 and f2 lenses are better at full frame. The 2.4 isn't technically full frame but it is close enough. The F2 is a film era lens that does a great job.

But the da 35 macro f2.8 is strictly a crop lens.
07-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For future reference:

DA and DA-L are crop only.
DFA / FA / F are autofocus full frame. The FA and F are film era.

Generally "all" Pentax brand manual focus k mount lenses are full frame.

Generally "all" Pentax brand m42 screwmount lenses are full frame and can be adapted to the K-1.

07-03-2018, 08:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The 35mm f2.4 and f2 lenses are better at full frame. The 2.4 isn't technically full frame but it is close enough. The F2 is a film era lens that does a great job.

But the da 35 macro f2.8 is strictly a crop lens.
UncleVanya is correct but it is only so because of the vignetting on FF. Vignetting is a kind of religious concept which can lead to endless debates about what is acceptable but I think under many conditions the 35 2.8 vignetting is acceptable on the K-1. Many others will disagree. Some violently
07-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
UncleVanya is correct but it is only so because of the vignetting on FF. Vignetting is a kind of religious concept which can lead to endless debates about what is acceptable but I think under many conditions the 35 2.8 vignetting is acceptable on the K-1. Many others will disagree. Some violently
I defer to those with experience using the lens. Maybe posting a few examples of what can be expected from the DA 35 f2.8 Macro here or pointing to the samples taken on the K-1 would help the OP determine if they are experiencing the same level of vignetting or more.
07-03-2018, 09:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I defer to those with experience using the lens. Maybe posting a few examples of what can be expected from the DA 35 f2.8 Macro here or pointing to the samples taken on the K-1 would help the OP determine if they are experiencing the same level of vignetting or more.
Good idea I will try to get to this.

07-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Magio Quote
Hello and Hola to every one.
I recently made the jump from Nikon to Pentax.
I am really happy with the Pentax colors and the quality of both the camera and the lenses, but I am having an issue with Vignetting with the 35mm 2.8. Every time I used the camera in full frame mode I get extreme vignette. Is this normal or did I get a lemon.
I never had this issue with Nikon.
That one happens to be a crop lens. You can see and filter which lenses are FF and crop here:

Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: