Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #1
Eduardo Lopez

Shutter Issue KS2

Pentax FA 28-105 F4-5.6 ( old lens set on A settings ) sometimes photos are nice in short distance ( less than 10 ft.) and sometimes blurry in short distance. No problem of photos beyond 15 feet are sharp and acceptable. Is there an issue of slow aperture speed set in auto mode and taking short distance that's why photos are blurry. I thought it was only caused by hand shakes, but mostly not acceptable. Needs idea to solve the problem.

08-06-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Eduardo... What are the shutter speeds and focal lengths on your blurry photos? Also, did the camera confirm that it had autofocused correctly before you pressed the shutter button all the way down?
08-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds more like a settings issue to me. Can you post a problematic photo /w EXIF intact? You can upload straight out of camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
Eduardo Lopez

The photo is blurry with two tries. The info I got from computer display are: shutter speed 3/10 sec., focal length f/4 36 mm.
Pressing the shutter halfway one square frame appears before i press the shutter fully down.
I do not believe that is caused by handshake because some are good enough.

08-06-2018, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eduardo Lopez Quote
The photo is blurry with two tries. The info I got from computer display are: shutter speed 3/10 sec., focal length f/4 36 mm.
Pressing the shutter halfway one square frame appears before i press the shutter fully down.
I do not believe that is caused by handshake because some are good enough.
3/10th of a second is pretty slow. 1/30th without SR would be needed at 36mm and then that's only the acceptable level if you view at a certain size.
08-06-2018, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

In fact, without SR you'd really need to be shooting at a shutter speed of 1 / (focal length x crop factor)... so for 36mm, the shutter speed needs to be 1 / (36 x 1.5) = 54, which is roughly 1/60s.

With SR enabled, it depends on how steady your hold is, and the size of reproduction you're looking for, but 1/15s is possible, though pushing it. Personally, I don't have a particularly steady hold these days, so even with SR switched on, I tend to stick with a shutter speed of 1 / (focal length x crop factor) where possible, and when I drop to slower shutter speeds I take multiple shots and pick the best of the bunch.

Of course, in Auto mode, you don't have much control over things.

I suspect the reason your shutter speed is so slow is that you're shooting a slow-aperture lens at an ISO that is too low for the lighting conditions.

There's nothing wrong with the shutter on your K-S2. You're simply reaching the limits of your lens and the camera's Auto mode
08-06-2018, 04:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is why they sell tripods. No way to hand hold that slowly without a lot of practice and a bit of luck.

08-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
This is why they sell tripods.
Potentially, sure. Faster aperture lenses, better use of natural and flash lighting, and higher ISO settings can all help too
08-06-2018, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This page has a good set of charts about handheld photography. It talks about stabilized and unstabilized as though these were all the same when some SR systems will be better than others but it gives a good idea of what to expect.

Found here: Minimum Shutter Speeds for Handheld Shooting: The definitive answer to "How slow can you go"
08-07-2018, 02:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Nice chart, but where to "This camera has "X" numbers of stabilization come in"