Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2018, 09:29 AM   #1
Randy Mc

Digital Camera Utility 5 file order issue

I updated my operating system to Mohave (Mac) and it seems to have caused a problem with the file order in the Pentax folder when opened in the program. When I open the "PENTAX" folder in finder, the files are in "Name" order. When I open the "PENTAX" folder in Digital Camera Utility 5, the file order appears to be random. I have already removed and reinstalled the application and the updates. The problem persists. I contacted Apple, but because it's a 3rd party app, they could not help. I can't seem to find contact information for anyone at Ricoh to ask directly. Has anyone experienced this issue?

12-31-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Under the View menu in DCU5, don't you have a "SORT BY" option, where you can select how to sort images? For instance you can sort them by NAME, or by FILE DATE/TIME, or by SHOOTING DATE/TIME, etc. It's possible that when you updated to Mojave, your DCU5 (and maybe some other) preferences got lost. That's not uncommon when updating the OS. Try regenerating the desired preferences in DCU5 manually and you should be OK.
12-31-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
Randy Mc

The "sort by" option works for sorting selected images within a folder. My issue is with the order of the folders themselves. Specifically, when first opening the application you would select the "PENTAX" folder in order to choose a subfolder that would contain the image files. It is those folders that appear in a random order. I currently have over one hundred folders within the "PENTAX" folder, which makes it difficult to find the images I wish to process. I have contacted Pentax and Apple, but neither have an answer to the issue.
12-31-2018, 04:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I still suspect that you’ve corrupted your DCU5 preferences. If you haven’t already done so, try deleting the DCU5 preference file and then relaunching the app.

01-02-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Randy Mc Quote
I updated my operating system to Mohave (Mac) and it seems to have caused a problem with the file order in the Pentax folder when opened in the program. When I open the "PENTAX" folder in finder, the files are in "Name" order. When I open the "PENTAX" folder in Digital Camera Utility 5, the file order appears to be random. I have already removed and reinstalled the application and the updates. The problem persists. I contacted Apple, but because it's a 3rd party app, they could not help. I can't seem to find contact information for anyone at Ricoh to ask directly. Has anyone experienced this issue?
QuoteOriginally posted by Randy Mc Quote
The "sort by" option works for sorting selected images within a folder. My issue is with the order of the folders themselves. Specifically, when first opening the application you would select the "PENTAX" folder in order to choose a subfolder that would contain the image files. It is those folders that appear in a random order. I currently have over one hundred folders within the "PENTAX" folder, which makes it difficult to find the images I wish to process. I have contacted Pentax and Apple, but neither have an answer to the issue.
File order? Or Directory/Folder order? Your original post says files but I think you are clarifying this to be the folders not the files within a folder - correct? Did you try deleting the file that holds preferences yet?
01-03-2019, 03:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The view/sort by menu in DCU5 [version 5.4.0] is there on my Mac [Mojave 10.14.2]. Nothing in the view menu is selectable except refresh. Deleting the preference file did not help.I would suggest you still try that..... The finder view/sort works fine. Also getting the dreaded spinning beach ball sometimes in DCU5, requiring a force quit. Crash/force quit reports are sent to Apple automatically, so they do know there is some issue with Mojave and DCU5.