Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #1
Isaiah Riley

Help - K-3 not turning on

Hi, So i recently bought the k3. And I'm not sure whats wrong with it. I just bought two new batterys for it and its just not turning on. Now i know that it is a little older, and may have been a display model, but it was a kit that came with a 135mm lens so im not sure. Can anyone help migure out whats wrong with it?! I wanna avoid returning it if i can.

02-02-2019, 08:08 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Isaiah, 3 things to try would be making sure the battery is fully charged, that at least 1 memory card is inserted and lastly, that the memory card door is closed.
Good luck.
02-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #3
Isaiah Riley

Help reply

I check all of the boxs and it still wont turn on @pjv
02-02-2019, 08:46 PM   #4

So i checked all that and it's still not turning on.

02-02-2019, 08:47 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was it advertised as working when you bought it? Also, are the batteries you bought new? On genuine Pentax batteries, there is a date code which will tell you when they were made.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #6

No i bought it from my old job. And I've been looking at it for a year now and i finaly got it. My coworkers at my old job all assumed that it was a battery issue but never tested it.
02-02-2019, 08:50 PM   #7

And as far as batteries i have two aftermarket and one original and none of them seem to be turning it on.

02-02-2019, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #8
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
and may have been a display model
QuoteOriginally posted by Isaiah_riley Quote
My coworkers at my old job all assumed that it was a battery issue but never tested it.
Are you able to take the camera back to get a refund Isaiah? If not, I feel that you might have to get it serviced. Again, good luck.

PS. Excellent to see that you have joined up here.
02-03-2019, 06:15 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You could try using a Q-tip with circuit cleaner sprayed on it to clean the battery terminals and the contacts on the batteries.
Or get an AC adapter (K-AC132) and try it.
Did someone try doing an update with a weak battery in it? That can fry a camera.
02-03-2019, 11:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This issue was discussed a few months ago: Pentax k-3 will not power on - PentaxForums.com
02-10-2019, 06:53 AM   #11
Unregistered User

We've all been trained to believe that a "warranty" is something having to do with availability of remedies. That's wrong. A "warranty" is a promise, made at the time of the original contract (even if you paid cash and got no receipt in an oral transaction, that's still a "contract", by the way), that the item will have certain properties, functionality, characteristics, or qualities, etc. It is NOT a period of time in which you can get the item fixed - that's a limitation of remedies for breach of warranty.

In Virginia, where I'm located, the statute of limitations on breach of warranty is four years. Since the apparent cause of the defect is the failure to affix an internal screw securely, such that it can come out and drop on to sensitive electronics and fry the circuits, that's a "manufacturing defect". When the manufacturer promises that the item will be free of manufacturing defects for a period of one year, that means they're on the hook for any manufacturing defects that existed during that time, but you've got four years in which to sue for breach of warranty, regardless of the limitation on the remedies they offer. And, clearly, the failure to attach the screw properly at the factory was a defect in "parts, materials, or manufacturing".

Now, OP didn't buy the camera retail and got no warranties of any kind, probably - sounds like the camera was purchased "as-is and where-is, and with all its faults". Though, if former employer knew the camera was up-gefort and didn't reveal that information, that could be a case of fraud. But, given the cost to repair stated in the other thread identified above, I'd say toss that camera and write off the cost, and go buy a new one. Saving the lenses and any other accoutrements, since those'll work on any other camera with the same characteristics.
02-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

potential client asking for an opinion from an attorney -

do I have a case, can I sue ?

- yes but that isn't the correct question

will I win ?

- possibly, but that still isn't the correct question

well, what is the correct question ?

- there are two correct questions:

- - - can you collect the judgment

- - - and would the judgement be greater than the cost and effort of litigation

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-10-2019 at 09:50 AM.
02-12-2019, 05:20 AM   #13
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
potential client asking for an opinion from an attorney -

do I have a case, can I sue ?

- yes but that isn't the correct question

will I win ?

- possibly, but that still isn't the correct question

well, what is the correct question ?

- there are two correct questions:

- - - can you collect the judgment

- - - and would the judgement be greater than the cost and effort of litigation
That is the first question, and there's also the cost of collection as well. I used to tell prospectives that if their case wasn't worth at least ten thousand dollars, there's really no point in pursuing legal compensation, merely as a matter of time, convenience, and money. Of course that leads to two problems in society: first, the average nonlawyer may take a notion to pursue extralegal methods of gaining "justice" for himself (my torts professor said the reason for tort law is to keep joe and bill from going out behind the castle to hack at each other with broadswords), and secondly, when the average nonlawyer gets tired of a system that continuously supports nickle-and-diming people to death and decides as a group that they don't need no stinkin' government anymore. When the numbers of those who are "not economically viable" (ref: "Falling Down") acquires critical mass, we're going to have trouble, right here in River City. Oh, no, that's a different movie, isn't it?
02-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
This issue was discussed a few months ago: Pentax k-3 will not power on - PentaxForums.com
Yeah, three people with this problem posted there, but I don't see that it has been 'resolved' yet.