Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2019, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your not doing yourself any favours by using a lens with a Mac aperture of 3.5. for long exposures with tracking is fine but I think you would get more out of a rokinon 14 f2.8 or something.

11-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I never heard of the red intensifier or didymium filters, but I'm intrigued after googling them. Have you tried them, and how well have they worked for you?
11-05-2019, 07:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
I never heard of the red intensifier or didymium filters, but I'm intrigued after googling them. Have you tried them, and how well have they worked for you?
Yes I have two smaller ones, and even though I am in a very dark area, sky-wise, I still have some small cities nearby so yes, I found that they helped even when doing single exposure star images. I need to step up and get a 77mm for my FA* and DA* lenses since winter is the best time for astro here in Maine. But I am working full time so staying up till 2 and 3AM is not as easy. (That and shoveling snow take up my energy! )
11-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Yes I have two smaller ones, and even though I am in a very dark area, sky-wise, I still have some small cities nearby so yes, I found that they helped even when doing single exposure star images. I need to step up and get a 77mm for my FA* and DA* lenses since winter is the best time for astro here in Maine. But I am working full time so staying up till 2 and 3AM is not as easy. (That and shoveling snow take up my energy! )
Winter is the best time for astrophotography here in Connecticut as well, but the light pollution is so much worse than it is in Maine. I'm trying to find dark skies that are relatively close to where I live.

11-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
Winter is the best time for astrophotography here in Connecticut as well, but the light pollution is so much worse than it is in Maine. I'm trying to find dark skies that are relatively close to where I live.
Here is a useful site for forecasting the quality at your location. Clear Sky Chart Homepage

If you get up to Maine, The Acadia, Mount Desert Area have pretty good night skies even close to Bar Harbor.
11-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Here is a useful site for forecasting the quality at your location. Clear Sky Chart Homepage

If you get up to Maine, The Acadia, Mount Desert Area have pretty good night skies even close to Bar Harbor.
I've been using this one: Light pollution map
11-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #22
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 8mm Ultrawide is a fisheye lens. Objects at infinity are extremely small. On my cameras, the lens has a 167degree field of view from corner to corner, even though the box says it is 180 degrees. I am not sure that this lens would be a good one for astrophotography. As for using filters, I do not know of any since my lens has no method of fitting a filer on the lens.