Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Upgrade to what? I doubt there's much available that would have better image quality than the K-70...
I doubt I'll ever sell my K70. Maybe I'll pass it on to a friend or something eventually, but I can see no good reason not to keep it- it's a fine camera.

03-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #17
DeeCee2019

So I decided to keep my K70 after my son told me he'd like to take a photography course in the fall. I'll pass the camera to him to use. In the meantime, I'll start saving up for a new one.
03-08-2019, 10:54 PM   #18
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeeCee2019 Quote
So I decided to keep my K70 after my son told me he'd like to take a photography course in the fall. I'll pass the camera to him to use. In the meantime, I'll start saving up for a new one.
Well you and your son should join the forum. It is an awesome resource, with lots of great people.

You sound like you would fit right in.
03-08-2019, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #19
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Um, to perhaps a Canon (more lens selection).
I dunno man.

The K mount was used on a lot of glass.

And there is M42.

03-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Um, to perhaps a Canon (more lens selection).
With over 200 Pentax lens choices, (not counting those made in K-mount by other manufacturers) about 35 of which are in production or in stock, what lens can't you find for your Pentax?
03-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #21
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The 50/1.8 is the plastic base DA that goes with the 35/2.4 - prices have varied greatly from $50 to $75 with occasion higher used prices.
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
There is a lot of bias around here against "plastic", but I'm not sure why. As a Canon user, I had a kit lens with a "plastic" mount that lasted me for over ten years.
03-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
There is a lot of bias around here against "plastic", but I'm not sure why. As a Canon user, I had a kit lens with a "plastic" mount that lasted me for over ten years.
I am not sure either,

as noted in the " shoot out " in depth review of the 50mm lenses:

QuoteQuote:
Taking into consideration the factors that were reviewed, the Pentax DA 50mm F1.8 is the niftiest of the fifty’s. Although the lens did not blow the competition away, it did hold its own against the D FA 50mm F2.8 and the FA 50mm F1.4 both which cost more. There has been much discussion on the forum about the composite rear mount. We don’t know of any instances of failure and it is the same material used in the DA 35mm F2.4, which has been on the market for a number of years. Time will tell if this is the wave of the future or just a passing fad.

Read more at: Pentax 50mm Prime Lens Shootout Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-10-2019 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Quote brackets added again
03-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
No, that would be a rip off imo. I don't know of Henrys or your tax system, but a main dealer should be able to give you >50% of the new value providing it is not damaged.
the dealers do not give 50% based on my experience with CDN and US dealers.....especially if it is a camera with a small market like Pentax. The dealer that was quoted by the poster is likely not even going to sell the used equipment but is selling it to another company. In fact Henrys camera used to have a website where they sold their used equipment, open box, etc., and they have closed it down. If they offer 25% the retail cost then you are doing well with the dealers up here. They actually are honest enough to tell you they will not budge from their trade in amount and that you would be better to sell it yourself on the internet. It sucks but that is the business of used cameras.

03-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #24
DeeCee2019

@MarkJerling Not sure, I think I was just focusing on my son's hockey when I thought about it. I took pictures at his game yesterday, and the majority of them were not in focus. It was the first time they turned out like this. I've used this lens before and I'm not sure what happened. I also tried using the 50mm before and those pictures looked much better than with the kit lens, but being a prime lens, it was hard to take the pictures I like to take. (I take em as close as I can from the glass)

It's his last year of playing, unless his joins his school team next season. Who knows, maybe he'll play football and I want to make sure I have the right lens.

I looked into the 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE lens. I like to take landscape, portraits, and would this lens be good with sports as well?

Uh, how do y'all quote someone's response? Do I have to be a member?
03-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The 55-300mm PLM is excellent for sports, because it's Pentax's fastest-focusing lens. Definitely worth getting if you're interested in telephoto use.

QuoteOriginally posted by 4609254:
Yes, you'll get a lot more posting options.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-21-2019, 10:34 AM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . It's his last year of playing, unless his joins his school team next season. Who knows, maybe he'll play football and I want to make sure I have the right lens.

I looked into the 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE lens. I like to take landscape, portraits, and would this lens be good with sports as well? . . .
there are excellent " user " and " in depth " reviews of Pentax lenses and " user " reviews of some third party lenses under " Lenses " above

user reviews:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/hd-pentax-da-55-300mm-f45-63-ed-plm-wr-re.html

" In Depth Review " :

" HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE

Introduction

If you're a Pentax shooter who's not quite ready to step up to a professional lens like the DA* 60-250mm f/4 or D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8, there are only two homegrown options to scratch the telephoto itch: the DA 50-200mm or the DA 55-300mm. For years, the DA 55-300mm f/4–5.8 was the better of the two choices. This consumer zoom provided ample telephoto reach, weather sealing, and good-enough image quality, all in a portable package.

But it's 2016, and though the DA 55-300 f/4-5.8's image quality is still fine, its autofocus system is definitely showing its age—particularly for the sorts of subjects you're likely to shoot with a telephoto zoom.

Enter the HD Pentax DA 55-300mm f/4.5–6.3 ED PLM WR RE, featuring a retractable design and a new Pulse Motor (PLM) system powering the autofocus.
Smaller, lighter, and 100% more silent than its predecessor, the new DA 55-300mm looks to be an upgrade in every way but one—its narrower aperture range. Still, we had to put it to the test to find out whether it can best a time-tested favorite. Come along as we find out! "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-da-55-300mm-f45-63-ed-plm-wr/...#ixzz5ipS5e9Mz

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-21-2019 at 10:44 AM.
03-23-2019, 06:18 PM   #27
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Absolutely, please join up. Having another member would be awesome.
03-26-2019, 05:06 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@MarkJerling Not sure, I think I was just focusing on my son's hockey when I thought about it. I took pictures at his game yesterday, and the majority of them were not in focus. It was the first time they turned out like this. I've used this lens before and I'm not sure what happened. I also tried using the 50mm before and those pictures looked much better than with the kit lens, but being a prime lens, it was hard to take the pictures I like to take. (I take em as close as I can from the glass)

It's his last year of playing, unless his joins his school team next season. Who knows, maybe he'll play football and I want to make sure I have the right lens.

I looked into the 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE lens. I like to take landscape, portraits, and would this lens be good with sports as well?

The 55-300 is a lovely lens. I manage OK with the cheap Sigma DG70-300, which I use for kids sport all the time. Also for (fast) cycling races. You can't go wrong with a great lens like the 55-300mm PLM.
05-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #29

Ebay is your best bet to gauge values