Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2019, 03:33 PM   #1
Siebig

Digital backs for the 645

Hello everyone I am an old time Pentax 645 owner. I was an industrial photographer and love using my Pentax 645 and all the lenses, I shoot film. Does anyone know of or heard of a "DIGITAL BACK" available for the Pentax 645 . . . not the digital 645 but rather just a digital film back ?
Hope to hear from you be well and thanks
Mike S

06-06-2019, 03:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think so...but even if they did, a used 645D would probably be cheaper

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-06-2019, 11:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The only company's that offer digital backs are Mamiya & Hassleblad (mainly Mamiya & Hassy mounts), which start at ~$20K.
09-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #4

I just read an article about the I'm Back digital camera back that is being developed with several adapters for medium format cameras. The aterisk indicates that the item for the 645 will only be developed if there's sufficient interest level. Try searching I'm Back digital camera back because that's the name of the company doing it.

09-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #5
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
The only company's that offer digital backs are Mamiya & Hassleblad (mainly Mamiya & Hassy mounts), which start at ~$20K.
You forgot - or ignored - Phase One backs and specialty cameras. The backs are very expensive: i.e.
Phase One IQ3-100 Achromatic Digital Back - Black and White 100 Mp - on sale at Ebay for 29K USD
Phase One IQ3-100 Achromatic Digital Back | eBay

Phase One is currently pushing the IQ4 series of backs meaning that the IQ3 is "old".

Phase One bought Mamiya in 2015.
09-04-2019, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jungledude Quote
I just read an article about the I'm Back digital camera back that is being developed with several adapters for medium format cameras. The aterisk indicates that the item for the 645 will only be developed if there's sufficient interest level. Try searching I'm Back digital camera back because that's the name of the company doing it.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Might this be the article?

I'm Back Unveils a Cheap Digital Back for Old Medium Format Cameras

In case it is not clear, the intent of the I'm Back products is not to generate high-quality photos, though I am not sure just what the output might be good for. The shutter is held wide open on "B" and the image is projected by the taking lens on a focusing screen similar to that in the viewfinder and a high resolution, but low quality photo or video made of that. Below is the promo example of the 35mm version on a Pentax ME with M 50/1.7 mounted.

Steve