Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2019, 05:50 AM   #46

Not me : only pleasure for a retired boy

12-09-2019, 05:06 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Me too, never made a single cent out of photograghy. Maybe because I am not good enough :-)
12-09-2019, 11:01 PM   #48

Photos: Albums
Nope, not here. It would be a very very hard market to enter in my area, there are a ton of talented wedding, family, sport, and nature photographers. I enjoy it from the hobby side, where no one is relying on me for results while I go through the learning curves.
12-10-2019, 03:43 AM   #49
Veteran Member

I am a pure hobbyist, never won any photo contest over the last 10 years !

12-10-2019, 04:31 AM   #50

Hobbyist here, with my day job as a teacher. Interestingly, though, photography is becoming more a part of my job. Sharing what we are up to on our social media is an increasing part of what we do at school, and as "the guy with the good camera" I am often asked to do bits and bobs (portraits of prize-winners, shots from school trips, a shot of the front of the school, etc.). It's a pleasant diversion from the work I am actually supposed to be doing, but I've got to be careful about it. It's pretty hard to justify buying (for instance) a long lens to make capturing sports matches easier, if I'm only doing it for a setting which is not making me any money!
12-10-2019, 10:32 AM - 2 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I used to have a quote up on the wall above my screen that went something like "Testing will only prove the presence of bugs, never their absence"
An old adage I remember from my first job: There's always one more bug.
01-28-2020, 08:05 AM   #52

Photos: Gallery
Been working professionally for only six years and the industry and profession changed greatly even in that short time. From what I’ve seen some amateurs love photography and even produce better work than pros; their equipments are often better too. Some of the attributes I’ve had to learn from working photographers are: using old but reliable equipment too keep overhead low since it’s not a hobby for them. 2. Have to maintain a stable business which that entails filing tax properly and being able to work with people of varying personalities, perceptions, and expectation. 3. Despite usual negatives some people complain about the industry I feel it’s still a fun job; there are times I couldn’t quite believe I got paid for having so much fun.

02-03-2020, 11:49 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography has always been an interest of mine. I became more serious about it because I also love art. I found I preferred using my own photos as an art reference rather than ones scoured from magazines that the copyright is someone else’s. Now I can get precise shots of what I need and not “Oh well that’s kinda sorta close to what I needed.
A good example of that scenario is when my sister who loves oil painting seen a typical Wolf painting. This wolf was depicted laying down and peering over a mountain edge. Sis and my mom both tried to paint that scene and both paintings were desperately off. When they complained of failure I looked at the paintings and the pic of the original and yes the Wolf in the original was wrong too.
I pointed out that the wolf in the painting looked like a skinny dog and had no wolf features. They then looked for wolf pics in that pose and found none.
A couple of years later I took pics of a wolf mix in the same pose with the K3. The neighbor’s wolf mix was laying in my yard chewing a bone.
I plan to add him to a piece of art soon. Now I can mix the two things I love, photography and art.
02-11-2020, 04:09 AM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I get a bit tired of hearing this statement - If this is the case you weren't passionate about it in the first place. If you really have a passion for something you will stick to it, especially in the face of adversity. There is much to be said of the trait of tenacity, I personally consider having it is equally important as talent. Certainly having a modicum of talent is crucial for any creative career but having the pluck to stick it through the good times and bad is just, if not more important. Do you think any of the great photographers present and past do not have any passion for what they are doing?
I turned my hobby into my career - software development.

Sometimes it’s not fun but that is more to do with the stress of having to deal with a customer problem - yesterday, of course - but the satisfaction of doing the job well is still there even after many years. Many of the people I have worked with for whom programming was also a hobby are still enjoying their hobbies. The best programmers I have worked with are the ones truly interested in it, both as a hobby and a career because they keep on learning and trying new things.
02-11-2020, 09:04 AM   #55
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I get a bit tired of hearing this statement - If this is the case you weren't passionate about it in the first place. If you really have a passion for something you will stick to it, especially in the face of adversity. There is much to be said of the trait of tenacity, I personally consider having it is equally important as talent. Certainly having a modicum of talent is crucial for any creative career but having the pluck to stick it through the good times and bad is just, if not more important. Do you think any of the great photographers present and past do not have any passion for what they are doing?
"Where your heart is, there your treasure shall be also."