Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
jouzhawhen

occupation

What percentage of members make their living in photo related field?

08-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome

It's difficult to say... Like other photography forums, most of our members are amateur photographers who enjoy it as a hobby. Then, there are some who are generally amateur but sell prints or shoot the odd event here and there - so it's not their sole, or even main, source of income, but they make a bit of money from it. Finally, there's a minority who are professional photographers earning their living from it - but this is a small proportion of our user base, I'd say.
08-26-2019, 12:42 PM - 4 Likes   #3

Not me. I enjoy photography wwaaayyy too much to try to earn my pay like that. I've found when your hobby becomes your living, it stops being fun.
08-26-2019, 11:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like Mike says there are photographers who are in the middle, ie some events and the odd show etc. I'd guess this group could usefully be sub-divided: 1) basically, amateurs who earn a bit approach as amateurs; 2) photographers, whose photography is not their main income, but who approach it in a professional way, growing their photography earnings. The group 2) type are where many, now, fully professionals start, testing their skills and learning the business before making the plunge.

08-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
jouzhawhen

Thank's for your answers. The question did not raise much interest, it looks like but i get the idea.
08-30-2019, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope, though I try to take nice pictures of people at events.
My photography has also led to presentations for community groups, educating people about bees, mostly.
08-30-2019, 05:59 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the OP might want to check out this area of the forum:

Photographic Industry and Professionals - PentaxForums.com

10-01-2019, 07:52 AM   #8
Forum Member

Ima print designer, art director but i am the lead in areas that require commercial photography. I use Nikon's. Hehe

10-01-2019, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by RookieGuy Quote
Not me. I enjoy photography wwaaayyy too much to try to earn my pay like that. I've found when your hobby becomes your living, it stops being fun.
I know what you mean. I honestly never was good enough to even think of becoming a professional. Well, maybe the thought of becoming a professional struck me once when I was young, but I knew that there was a lot of study and work to do if I wanted to go that route. And, while I enjoy it, whenever there is a major family event, like my daughter's 15th birthday (her mom's a latina), I was all for hiring a professional. I did ask some important questions though. Our pro started in the business very young, has shot a wide variety of venues, and still loves what he does. But, he has the personality for it, and like he told me, and I agreed, if you are going to shoot celebrities, models, brides, quinceneras (sweet-15's), and such (his current run), your skills as an amateur psychologist must be greater than your skills as a photographer to be successful.
10-01-2019, 02:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I work at a beach. But at least I get free access to take pictures. I've been looking into trying to take some optical design courses to try to gain a understanding of optics and how to design lenses. I'd like to try my hand at lens design in my free time and maybe I can apply that to a career in engineering. I'm already a manufacturing engineering student.
10-03-2019, 06:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Software developer.
10-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if anyone cares

I have been licensed to practice law since 1982

but I don't currently operate a business or represent clients
10-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I actually work at a local health department. I've done plenty of professional work but never full-time.
10-03-2019, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
if anyone cares

I have been licensed to practice law since 1982

but I don't currently operate a business or represent clients
My username gives me away. Since 1981. Still plugging away as a solo in Miami (ugh!).
10-03-2019, 01:18 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rexlawyer Quote
My username gives me away. Since 1981. Still plugging away as a solo in Miami (ugh!).
So if your username is anything to go by, you represent T-Rex's? Or dogs named Rex? Or your nickname is Rex and you're a lawyer?