Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-11-2019, 06:03 AM   #1
Upsweep

Pentax K-70 & AF200s Flash

Hi, could I use an AF200s Flash unit on a K-70 in manual mode?

09-11-2019, 06:42 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
here is a link to the user reviews of that flash

QuoteQuote:
This relatively compact flash has 25% stronger flash output than the AF 160S, with which it otherwise shares most features.

The AF 200S was designed for use with the compact MV, MV1 and ME Super cameras, but it can be used on any camera with a hotshoe.
The flash has two Auto settings where a sensor in the flash meassures the exposure and turns the flash off when the subject has received the right amount of light. You manually set the aperture corresonding to the selected auto setting.

The flash also has a manual setting where it always fires at full power. . . .
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-af-200s.html#ixzz5zDv8KvmK
09-11-2019, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Upsweep Quote
Hi, could I use an AF200s Flash unit on a K-70 in manual mode?
The short answer is yes. The flash provides on-flash exposure automation at two different f-number settings and may also be used as a fully manual flash. It also features a few flash dedication features that might be supported on your camera. On bodies of the time, those would include:
  • Flash ready indication in the viewfinder
  • Automatic setting of shutter to the X-sync speed when using either of the two "auto" modes and flash signals "ready"
Behavior on a Pentax dSLR is generally similar, depending on camera mode. For example:
  • Flash ready should display in the viewfinder
  • It is likely that X-sync will automatically be set to 1/180s (or last set whichever is lower) in M mode when using either of the two "auto" modes of the flash
  • It is possible that X-sync will automatically be set to 1/180s or lower in Av mode depending on ambient light when using either of the two "auto" modes on the flash
  • There is also the outside chance that the appropriate aperture for either of the two auto modes may be auto selected in some camera modes. This is highly unlikely. Edit: Will not happen due to lack of "mode" contact on the foot.
Exposure compensation may also work. It may prove fruitful to explore the full range of camera and flash mode combinations including green button with the understanding that both "auto" modes require the proper aperture setting for the camera ISO. (The ASA/ISO setting on the flash works the slide calculator on the back and does not change the flash output.)

The flash manual may be downloaded for free from: Pentax Manuals | Accessories (PDF password is "Pentax")

Steve

Note: I made a significant edit to clarify and and correct the earlier post. Sorry

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-15-2019 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Clarity
09-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #4
Upsweep

using AF200s flash on K-70 in manual mode

Thank you very much for those replies, I look forward to testing them out soon.