Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2019, 01:49 AM   #1
pit

KP and K70 successors ?

Hello.
I would like to know if there will be a successor for the K70 and the KP. I was a Pentax user a few years ago, but I was not satisfied of the noise my K3II had when shooting in low light at night. Above 800 iso, there was a lot of noise. So, I sold my K3 and went to another mark, but since I've seen that Pentax has made improvments on the K70 and KP concerning noise and iso capabilities, I would like to go back to Pentax again. But...I don't want to spend money if a new model a new model is planned to come out. So my question is to knwo if there will be a successor of the K70 or the KP soon ? For the 100th anniversary ?

09-24-2019, 02:07 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi there

Most likely there will be a successor to these cameras, but whether it will be just one model or two, and when (given the declining digital camera market), remains to be seen.

I will say, the KP's image quality and high ISO performance is among best in class at this point in time, and the K-70 is very nearly as good. I wonder, are you using all the techniques available to you for low light shooting - e.g. fast lenses, tripod, off camera lighting, shooting raw and using post-processing noise reduction effectively etc.?

We're reaching the limits of what current sensor technology is capable of. Indeed, cameras like the K-70 and KP (even the full frame flagship K-1II) already use hardware modules to process noise generated by the sensor at higher ISO settings. So whilst it's possible we might see small incremental improvements in high ISO performance from replacement models, I wouldn't expect those improvements to be game-changing...
09-24-2019, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pit Quote
Hello.
I would like to know if there will be a successor for the K70 and the KP. I was a Pentax user a few years ago, but I was not satisfied of the noise my K3II had when shooting in low light at night. Above 800 iso, there was a lot of noise. So, I sold my K3 and went to another mark, but since I've seen that Pentax has made improvments on the K70 and KP concerning noise and iso capabilities, I would like to go back to Pentax again. But...I don't want to spend money if a new model a new model is planned to come out. So my question is to knwo if there will be a successor of the K70 or the KP soon ? For the 100th anniversary ?
A new APS-C camera has just been shown. See Close-up Photos: New Pentax APS-C Flagship - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

This camera will be available in 2020. It is the successor to the K-3ii and, while no specifications have been released yet, it's likely to be a good step up from the KP and the K-70.
09-24-2019, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Hello.
Pentax tends to play their cards close to the vest, so we can only guess at the answer. When the KP first came out, it was priced at something like $1100 - it was priced at $700 when I purchased one last Black Friday, and now it is priced at $800. The KP is a fine camera; I'm sure any replacement will be priced at $1100 or more, so my advice at this point is to see if the price of the current models drops again at Black Friday {or before}, and then grab one. I really doubt if a replacement is worth waiting for.

10-18-2019, 05:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The K3 was regarded as having great noise performance......Soooo I doubt any new APS-C is going to help much if you weren't satisfied with the k3
10-18-2019, 06:40 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
The K3 was regarded as having great noise performance......Soooo I doubt any new APS-C is going to help much if you weren't satisfied with the k3
KP and K-70 have significantly better low light high ISO noise performance than K-3. I sold my K-3 after I bought a KP. I get cleaner files on KP at 3200 ISO than I did on K-3 at 1600 ISO. The next camera might be even better.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-18-2019 at 06:46 PM.
10-18-2019, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Sorry but KP is better than K3 regarding high ISO.

10-18-2019, 06:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
KP and K-70 have significantly better low lighting noise performance than K-3. I sold my K-3 after I bought a KP. I get cleaner files on KP At 3200 ISO than I did at 1600 ISO on K-3. The next camera might be even better.
I don't doubt its better. What I'm saying is if it was such huge deal breaker that he had to leave the system, when it was very competitive at the time for ISO performance, he'll probably be disappointed with a future APS-c. FF is more what you should look at if low-light is your main concern.
10-18-2019, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't doubt its better. What I'm saying is if it was such huge deal breaker that he had to leave the system, when it was very competitive at the time for ISO performance, he'll probably be disappointed with a future APS-c. FF is more what you should look at if low-light is your main concern.
KP with the Accelerator is actually a better performer than K-1 (though not better than K-1ll).
10-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I am certain that the K-3ii replacement will be at least as good as the KP - in other words significantly better than the K-3 family once the 'accelerator' has cut in. See the "DR" {first graph below - higher is better} and "noise" {second graph below - lower is better} from Photons-to-Photos.
Attached Images

10-20-2019, 02:30 AM   #11
Pentaxian

My understanding of sensor technicalities is limited so I ask, looking at those graphs, do the results suggest that there would usually be no need to set the ISO below 640 on the KP, unless (e.g. using a wide aperture in bright light) it would require a shutter speed beyond the maximum, in which case the ISO should be set straight to 100 (i.e. ignore those intermediate values)?

Philip

Last edited by MrB1; 10-20-2019 at 02:39 AM.
10-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
My understanding of sensor technicalities is limited so I ask, looking at those graphs, do the results suggest that there would usually be no need to set the ISO below 640 on the KP, unless (e.g. using a wide aperture in bright light) it would require a shutter speed beyond the maximum, in which case the ISO should be set straight to 100 (i.e. ignore those intermediate values)?

Philip
I prefer to use straight-from camera JPEGs, so I use my KP the same way I have used every camera for fifty years - I use a fairly low ISO and go from there - except I do use TAv mode a lot more, where I set both desired shutter speed and aperture, and that involves a lot of ISO values over 640. Each person can apply his/her own standards / procedures.
10-20-2019, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KP under ISO 3200 is good to go.
10-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hello.
KP is incredibily cheap at the moment, but extremely performant still.
It is also a matter of budget and how "urgent" this purchase is...
10-20-2019, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
KP under ISO 3200 is good to go.
I have my "auto ISO" limits set at 100 - 12800, and the images taken at ISO values like 6000 on TAv give me no reason to change the limits.