Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2019, 09:34 PM - 3 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread is funny.

Pentax user talking lenses: I look at pictures, not charts.

Pentax user talking sensors: I look at charts, not pictures.

10-30-2019, 06:09 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
This thread is funny.

Pentax user talking lenses: I look at pictures, not charts.

Pentax user talking sensors: I look at charts, not pictures.

Your eyes see what you want to see - use only them if that is your preference.
I am a retired scientist - I will look at the facts, not at what I want to see.
10-30-2019, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Your eyes see what you want to see - use only them if that is your preference.
I am a retired scientist - I will look at the facts, not at what I want to see.
What "facts"? I see charts that purport to show color and noise information about the imaging pipeline of the KP versus several other cameras but not the destructive nature - i.e. loss of detail - that occurs due to the KP's "Accelerator".

As a retired scientist, you should not only look at "facts" that support your own predisposition but also "facts" that may not support it.

The Photos to Photos graphic indicates there is a high amount of noise reduction occurring in the KP RAW file (relative to other cameras); so the next step would be an analysis and quantification of the penalty incurred by use of the Accelerator - the aforementioned loss of detail.
10-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #34
Pentaxian

What "facts"? I see charts that purport to show color and noise information about the imaging pipeline of the KP versus several other cameras but not the destructive nature - i.e. loss of detail - that occurs due to the KP's "Accelerator".

As a retired scientist, you should not only look at "facts" that support your own predisposition but also "facts" that may not support it.

The Photos to Photos graphic indicates there is a high amount of noise reduction occurring in the KP RAW file (relative to other cameras); so the next step would be an analysis and quantification of the penalty incurred by use of the Accelerator - the aforementioned loss of detail.
I evaluate a photo based on what it is. I notice no loss of detail in my KP {but I don't "pixel peek" either}. If you want something else, then get it!!

10-30-2019, 11:10 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Veteran Member

Since the KP is now for sale new at 747.00 USD, and a lot of folks want their electronic gear to be new, there is not much comparable, price-wise that can give good results at over ISO 6000. And as Pentax is positioned as a value brand,good luck finding lenses for your Canon, Nikon and Sony cameras with equivalent IQ for anywhere close to the same money. I love my KP when I have a slower long lens mounted since TAV and let the ISO roll is a great way to get the shot.
10-30-2019, 01:48 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I evaluate a photo based on what it is. I notice no loss of detail in my KP {but I don't "pixel peek" either}. If you want something else, then get it!!
I think it is useful for folks who dislike a "feature" to bring it to the attention of the manufacturer.

I have both a K-3 II and K-70; I prefer the output of the K-70 at higher ISO, as for my use I find the Accelerator in the K-70 does a good job balancing noise reduction and detail retention. However, my satisfaction with the K-70's output does not prevent me from acknowledging that there is indeed an unusually high amount of RAW "cooking" going on and that there is a bit of a penalty for that. Ideally, there would be the option to bypass the Accelerator, because I realize there are folks who don't want it to pre-process their images, and I respect the opinion those people.
10-30-2019, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Since the KP is now for sale new at 747.00 USD, and a lot of folks want their electronic gear to be new, there is not much comparable, price-wise that can give good results at over ISO 6000.
Well, there is the K-70...

10-30-2019, 03:19 PM   #38
Pentaxian

It is comparable only if you don't consider built-quality. The K-70 is a clear successor of the K-30/50/S2 line, while the KP is much much closer to the K-7/5/3 line.
10-30-2019, 05:14 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Veteran Member

Fantastic camera

---------- Post added 10-30-19 at 05:16 PM ----------

No feedback from the OP here, so I still wonder what exactly does he shoot that his needs for high ISO trumped the K3II output...I'm really curious.
10-30-2019, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #40

K-New will be the next one. It's thought to be a flagship camera.
10-31-2019, 07:32 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is comparable only if you don't consider built-quality. The K-70 is a clear successor of the K-30/50/S2 line, while the KP is much much closer to the K-7/5/3 line.
Sure, there are several advantages of the KP over the K-70, but I was clearly responding to the statement about "good results at over ISO 6000".
10-31-2019, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

Sure, there are several advantages of the KP over the K-70, but I was clearly responding to the statement about "good results at over ISO 6000".
And tongue in cheek as well!
10-31-2019, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote

No feedback from the OP here, so I still wonder what exactly does he shoot that his needs for high ISO trumped the K3II output...I'm really curious.
A Mamiya 6x7.
11-02-2019, 07:07 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I would like to see kp-ii. Probably a year from now.
11-02-2019, 07:31 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It isn’t really a high degree of processing and loss of detail. In practice the loss of detail is indiscernible. @Rondec has shown this on his many K-1ll posts.

Curiously, another (hostile to Pentax) review site praised the noise performance without criticizing the ‘academic’ loss of detail when reviewing KP. @Class_A only objects to the inability to deselect Noise Reduction, not to any actual visible loss of detail. For almost all of us the noise processing is a boon.