Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It isn’t really a high degree of processing and loss of detail. In practice the loss of detail is indiscernible. @Rondec has shown this on his many K-1ll posts.

Curiously, another (hostile to Pentax) review site praised the noise performance without criticizing the ‘academic’ loss of detail when reviewing KP. @Class_A only objects to the inability to deselect Noise Reduction, not to any actual visible loss of detail. For almost all of us the noise processing is a boon.
Cameraville did a K1-II to K1 comparison and the K1 was noticeably sharper

11-02-2019, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
Not to me.

We don’t control post-processing on hostile websites. IMO there is no discernible difference in like-processed images. The objection is academic.
11-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I own both and as I have said before, I would challenge anyone to look at the "Post Your K-1 Photos Here" thread and identify which of my posts were with a K-1 and which with a K-1 II. You just can't do it. You might be able to do it looking at the images at 200 percent and shooting at iso 3200 or something like that, but real life situations -- making prints, posting to normal web sizes -- you aren't going to see a difference except that the K-1 II images have less noise above iso 800 and a tiny bit less shadow detail.
11-02-2019, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

With posting on internet and making regular prints I can't see de difference between my K-70 and K-1. So I am sure that in practice the difference of resolved details between K-1 and K-1 II doesn't exist for me. Still I think that more than 99% of people don't care about pixel sized details when they see photo.

11-02-2019, 06:53 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I own both and as I have said before, I would challenge anyone to look at the "Post Your K-1 Photos Here" thread and identify which of my posts were with a K-1 and which with a K-1 II. You just can't do it. You might be able to do it looking at the images at 200 percent and shooting at iso 3200 or something like that, but real life situations -- making prints, posting to normal web sizes -- you aren't going to see a difference except that the K-1 II images have less noise above iso 800 and a tiny bit less shadow detail.
Well if we are just going off that, my 8MP 15yr old Olympus looks just fine online too...not really a valid point. I'd say sure probably won't notice it. I do however understand those who don't like it when the next generation of camera loses some detail over it's predecessor.
11-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Well if we are just going off that, my 8MP 15yr old Olympus looks just fine online too...not really a valid point. I'd say sure probably won't notice it. I do however understand those who don't like it when the next generation of camera loses some detail over it's predecessor.
I will admit that I paused when I first read about the loss of detail due to the increased noise reduction. I'm also not above pixel peeping myself. However, I am also not certain as to whether the loss of detail is detectable in most situations where we share our photos--certainly not on many web sites.
11-03-2019, 03:24 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You didn't read my full statement apparently. You do not notice any issues with the K-1 II when you are shooting it and processing the files. Except that there is less noise above iso 800. If you shot a K-1 and K-1 II image side by side on a tripod at above iso 800 and looked at the images at 100 percent, you might be able to see a difference in detail. Only the K-1 images would have more noise in them and once you take care of that, there would be no difference.

I am totally fine if people don't like the accelerator on principle, but they really magnify it into something it isn't.

---------- Post added 11-03-19 at 05:48 AM ----------

This is the sort of performance I am seeing with the K-1 II at iso 6400:

and a pretty heavy crop:

Not wonderful photos, but I hope it demonstrates that the K-1 II does not just mash detail above iso 800, which is what is implied by some folks.

11-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #53
Pentaxian

I do however understand those who don't like it when the next generation of camera loses some detail over it's predecessor.
If it does, and that is a big "IF", we can talk about it then.
12-08-2019, 05:48 AM   #54

To give an anwer to the first question, we are waiting for the new apsc camera and hope is that theseone will be THE product we're waiting for ! A K1 whith APSC and better autofocus, 10 ips, big iso and so on !
12-09-2019, 12:57 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pts1958 Quote
To give an anwer to the first question, we are waiting for the new apsc camera and hope is that theseone will be THE product we're waiting for ! A K1 whith APSC and better autofocus, 10 ips, big iso and so on !
Also some of these Knew features would be easy to implement in a lower grade body next year to replace K70 which is significantly older than KP...
01-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Also some of these Knew features would be easy to implement in a lower grade body next year to replace K70 which is significantly older than KP...
There is no reason to think that Pentax plans to keep three "APS-C" lines - I still expect to see one entry that consists of K-70 and KP melded together, and then the new features melded into it.