Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2019, 01:49 AM   #1
pit

KP and K70 successors ?

Hello.
I would like to know if there will be a successor for the K70 and the KP. I was a Pentax user a few years ago, but I was not satisfied of the noise my K3II had when shooting in low light at night. Above 800 iso, there was a lot of noise. So, I sold my K3 and went to another mark, but since I've seen that Pentax has made improvments on the K70 and KP concerning noise and iso capabilities, I would like to go back to Pentax again. But...I don't want to spend money if a new model a new model is planned to come out. So my question is to knwo if there will be a successor of the K70 or the KP soon ? For the 100th anniversary ?

09-24-2019, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi there

Most likely there will be a successor to these cameras, but whether it will be just one model or two, and when (given the declining digital camera market), remains to be seen.

I will say, the KP's image quality and high ISO performance is among best in class at this point in time, and the K-70 is very nearly as good. I wonder, are you using all the techniques available to you for low light shooting - e.g. fast lenses, tripod, off camera lighting, shooting raw and using post-processing noise reduction effectively etc.?

We're reaching the limits of what current sensor technology is capable of. Indeed, cameras like the K-70 and KP (even the full frame flagship K-1II) already use hardware modules to process noise generated by the sensor at higher ISO settings. So whilst it's possible we might see small incremental improvements in high ISO performance from replacement models, I wouldn't expect those improvements to be game-changing...
09-24-2019, 03:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pit Quote
Hello.
I would like to know if there will be a successor for the K70 and the KP. I was a Pentax user a few years ago, but I was not satisfied of the noise my K3II had when shooting in low light at night. Above 800 iso, there was a lot of noise. So, I sold my K3 and went to another mark, but since I've seen that Pentax has made improvments on the K70 and KP concerning noise and iso capabilities, I would like to go back to Pentax again. But...I don't want to spend money if a new model a new model is planned to come out. So my question is to knwo if there will be a successor of the K70 or the KP soon ? For the 100th anniversary ?
A new APS-C camera has just been shown. See Close-up Photos: New Pentax APS-C Flagship - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

This camera will be available in 2020. It is the successor to the K-3ii and, while no specifications have been released yet, it's likely to be a good step up from the KP and the K-70.
09-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #4
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pit Quote
Hello.
Pentax tends to play their cards close to the vest, so we can only guess at the answer. When the KP first came out, it was priced at something like $1100 - it was priced at $700 when I purchased one last Black Friday, and now it is priced at $800. The KP is a fine camera; I'm sure any replacement will be priced at $1100 or more, so my advice at this point is to see if the price of the current models drops again at Black Friday {or before}, and then grab one. I really doubt if a replacement is worth waiting for.