Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Dan, did you test what was suggested here? I went through that with my k-x last year...

11-25-2019, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MalcS Quote
Had the same problem with my ist*D with a new set of lithium AAs. The fix was to put the AAs in a flash, charge it up, fire once, and then put the batteries back in the camera, after which it worked fine from then on. Not sure if this is a fault with the camera or what exactly, but it seems it doesn’t draw enough power to ‘wake up’ the new lithiums initially. If you don’t have a flash, any device that draws a bit of power should do the trick (assuming the problem you are having is the same). Wierd...
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Had same problem with mine... I decided to just let it sit overnight with the batteries in it (off position) and it fired up the next day and has been fine since.
could be the wake up the battery thing, could be caps in the camera got lazy.
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
The IST Dl is very finicky towards batteries. It would only accept fully charged batteries. Any Alkaline AA battery that was sitting around which lost its charge wouldn't turn on the camera. Try using a fresh charged rechargeable or the non-rechargeable Lithium (not Lithium-Ion rechargeable) and it should power on. BTW this question is how I ended up in PentaxForums and the rest is history.

Emphasis added so that I can say "same here" to that bit. I kind of gave up on mine but am now curious to try some of these other suggestions.

Hope the OP sees some good luck!
11-29-2019, 01:48 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by don nicholson Quote
wont start up. I put in new batteries but when I turn it on the battery symbol just flashes.
Sometimes I have to turn my K-30 on - off - on - off -on before it will react positively to a set of AA batteries. In my case I have set the "AA battery type" menu option to "Auto" and it may take a few tries for it to get it right .... or current has to flow through the batteries in several spurts to get it right.
12-01-2019, 12:01 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Years ago I dropped my ist DS and it refused to start. I removed the batteries for a day, reinserted them, and the camera fired up. I gave said camera to a friend a while back and he recently informed me that the camera no longer powers up on batteries. However the AC power pack works fine and my chum has made a new battery pack with an external jack plug for powering the camera in the field. The problem with this particular camera is the circuitry regarding DC input has failed but the external power input is fine.