Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pts1958 Quote
Pentax is the only brand which offer the possibility to use old lenses... I'm still using lenses buy with my MX (1978)
This is not quite true - some modern lenses can be used with some modern Nikon bodies.

12-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Beware the Ricoh pin...

While there is a vast array of K-mount glass that works great on a modern Pentax digital camera, some lenses from Ricoh in the 1980s, as well as from some third-party manufacturers, have a pin on the base that jams in the autofocus plug on the body...

There are some threads that explore this in detail, but none of the real Pentax lenses have this issue...

-Eric
01-08-2020, 10:47 AM   #33
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I have I think 2 lenses that have the Ricoh pin. The one I just switch the aperture off the A setting when putting on/taking off and it has no issues. The other one has a rounded pin that doesn't seem to get caught in the AF mechanism.
01-11-2020, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

for any reader of this thread not familiar with the problem with the " ricoh pin "

here is an explanation of the problem given in another thread -

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Glad you found your solution. Even more glad that you did not experience "Ricoh Pin Lock" on your camera.

For the benefit of the casual browser, here is the executive summary of the "Ricoh Pin" issue:
  • The infamous "pin" is found on lenses made to fit the Ricoh programmed exposure cameras
  • These lenses have a "P" on the aperture ring and include Ricoh's Rikenon-P series as well as third party lenses where the mount is marked with "K-R", "PK/R", or something similar
  • The pin is located such that it will drop into the AF drive gear on your Pentax dSLR when attempt is made to mount
  • Once engaged with the gear slot the lens will be extremely difficult to remove

The links posted above show the pin in all its glory.

A few additional notes:[LIST][*]The "spring-loaded ball" variant of the pin is less problematic[*]Rikenon lenses other than the "P" series (Rikenon, XR Rikenon) are not

02-08-2020, 04:53 PM   #35
Forum Member

Hope you enjoy; I have about 30 Asahi & Pentax Nikon, Russian, German and more lens I use on a Canon 6D, Pentax 20D, K1000, you get the Idea it"s a blast. I have been looking at the reviews of the lens on this site for 25 years very helpful.
02-10-2020, 12:20 AM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by coondog Quote
I have been looking at the reviews of the lens on this site for 25 years very helpful.
How did you do that when this site has only been up since 2006?
02-10-2020, 07:30 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
How did you do that when this site has only been up since 2006?
It is very simple I got my first Pentax camera in 1969 I think it was a Spotmatic. I am now 71 years old when you get to this age time kind of blends. Plus I lived in San Francisco from 1960 to 1989. So It's a perspective thing that comes with age and wisdom. Witch means I forget what happened when, many many GREAT memories and they blend together sometimes you'll see later. This site is just GREAT I Have learned so much. THANKS to everyone that does not even know how much help you all have been. THANKS for all the many many hours of you have contributed.

02-10-2020, 08:59 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm not 71 yet but will be at the end of this year. I was responding to your comment reading reviews on this site for 25 years. You certainly could not have done that since this site isn't that old.
And I meant no offense by what I said.
02-12-2020, 11:27 PM   #39
Forum Member

None taken, As soon as I read your comment and read what I wrote I said to my self OH MY BAD I just went a little to far back in time. Thanks
02-13-2020, 01:30 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I'm not 71 yet but will be at the end of this year. I was responding to your comment reading reviews on this site for 25 years. You certainly could not have done that since this site isn't that old.
And I meant no offense by what I said.
I reckon one could easily do it. I often do 7 hours of house cleaning in 3 hours.... especially when unsupervised.

And.....if you read a 2012 thread in 2012.... well thats one thing..... but if you read a 2012 thread in 2020.... does that count as extra time..... I reckon it would in most sports.... like it would be time on or something.

Last edited by noelpolar; 02-13-2020 at 01:35 AM.
02-24-2020, 03:40 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Old lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by pts1958 Quote
Pentax is the only brand which offer the possibility to use old lenses... I'm still using lenses buy with my MX (1978)
I use many old lenses on my Nikon DSLR.