Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #1
BuserSusan

manual lenses on digital camera body?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have great lenses from my old Pentax ME Super SLR. Can I buy a digital camera body and use them on that?

10-17-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a Pentax K-mount 50mm manual lens that I use on my K50 body all the time.

Somewhere on this site is more detailed information. If I have a chance, I'll add a link as soon as I can find one. In general, though, one of the things that brought me to Pentax is extensive backwards compatibility with lenses back to the 1970's vintage without an adapter.
10-17-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Yes. Any K-mount lens works on any Pentax digital camera.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-m...-k-30-etc.html
10-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the beauty of the K system. Any Pentax K DSLR, can use any K mount lens. You might have to set it for focal length, manual aperture, and manual focus; depending on the lens, but after that it's business as usual.

10-17-2019, 08:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for putting that link up, that's the one I was thinking of.
10-17-2019, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As mentioned, you can use all your lenses that you used on your ME Super, on a digital Pentax body.

One thing that wasn't mentioned is that there are two types of Pentax DSLRs:

1. Full Frame: That currently is only the K-1 and the K-1 II. This will give you the same original view as the ME Super used to give you with your lenses.

2. APS-C: That is all other Pentax DSLR bodies since what, 2005 I think. What APS-C means is that the sensor is smaller, so the field of view will be a bit narrower. The "crop factor" of Pentax DSLRs is about 1.5, which means that a 35mm lens, which is a normal/wide angle lens on your ME Super, will give you about the same field of view as a 50mm lens (52.5 in fact is the field of view with the crop factor applied). Your 50mm lenses will give you a 75mm field of view. Note that the lens didn't change, in this example they're still 35mm and 50mm, but the field of view that they give on these cameras is a bit smaller.

Here is a more detailed explanation: Understanding Crop Factor | B&H Explora

But in short, if you want your lenses to look the same on digital as they do on your ME Super, get a K-1 or K-1 II. If you don't mind the crop factor and want to save some money get APS-C (APS-C cameras are cheaper).
10-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

But in short, if you want your lenses to look the same on digital as they do on your ME Super, get a K-1 or K-1 II. If you don't mind the crop factor and want to save some money get APS-C (APS-C cameras are cheaper).
As someone who owns both a ME and K-1, the digital full frame will be shockingly big. It's more than twice the weight of the mini-ME (hah!) and substantially chunkier

A K-S2 or K-70 will be more in line with the size/weight of the ME, but of course you'll have a crop sensor, so that's a good excuse for DA Ltds.

10-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

a couple more posts the OP might want to look at:

M42 Lenses on K-1000 SE - exposure problem - PentaxForums.com

M42 Lenses on K-1000 SE - exposure problem - PentaxForums.com
10-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've even used a Pentax 67 lens on my K-1 (with a 3D printed adapter). Manual almost all the way - you set the aperture with the camera in manual, push the green button and the camera determines the shutter speed. You still have to focus manually but the camera gives a "beep" when the proper focus is obtained. Old screw mount Pentax lenses can also be used with an adapter.
10-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I've even used a Pentax 67 lens on my K-1 (with a 3D printed adapter). Manual almost all the way - you set the aperture with the camera in manual, push the green button and the camera determines the shutter speed. You still have to focus manually but the camera gives a "beep" when the proper focus is obtained. Old screw mount Pentax lenses can also be used with an adapter.
Isn’t there a professionally made adapter?
10-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In theory, at least, and mainly in fact, any Pentax lens can be used on any Pentax K-mount camera. A few need a small adapter. The Pentax joy just keeps on going.
10-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a K-50 (my first DSLR), rather than a Canon or Nikon, so I could use all my old M series lenses that I purchased back in the 80s with my Pentax ME. I don't use them a lot but they are fun and add an extra dimension to my photography. You should check out this thread, The M Club
10-17-2019, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #14
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go for it. Some of my nicest lenses date from the film days - some of them more than 50 years old. The main difference is in the coatings. Older lenses may only be single coated and will not be as flare-resistant in some situations. The other thing to consider is that older prime lenses can be very good but zooms less so. With the advent of computers, complex lens design has advanced and the cost of producing them has fallen. So older zooms may disappoint. It has nothing to do with digital. It's just the quality of the lens.
10-19-2019, 06:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Pentax is great system for using manual lenses. The mounts are backwards compatible and you've got catch in focus to play with as well. My manual lens collection is growing fast because old lenses are relatively inexpensive compared to modern lenses and there's a lot of great glass out there in modern manual lenses. Not to mention that with an adapter you can mount almost any old manual lens from another manufacturer to your camera.