Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
spnelson2000

K-50 saving in RAW

My K-50 use to save everything as JPEG and showed them as JPEG when i pressed the display button. Now it is saving them as RAW files and when I press the display button I get a "green" image. How do I switch it back to JPEG?

Thanks in advance

Steve

01-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Click the Menu button, then under the first page, go to 'Image Capture Settings' and change 'File Format' to JPEG.

Alternatively, click the Info button, and go down to file format (bottom left box) and change to JPEG.

Also, here's the user manual if that would come in useful: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-50.pdf
01-26-2020, 07:59 PM   #3
spnelson2000

tried that

OK, I have done both of those repeatedly but no change. I have the user manual open and tried everything it says. I have gone to change Digital Filter to on and HDR to auto but it will not stay. As soon as I leave either setting it reverts back to off.

Steve
01-26-2020, 08:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What mode are you in? Are you using a 'User' mode (Such as U1, U2...) ? If so, after you change it, you'll need to set it to save as the user settings.

01-26-2020, 08:20 PM   #5
spnelson2000

mode: auto

I have it in Auto while I am trying to fix this.
01-26-2020, 08:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe pressing the RAW/Fx button on the side may toggle you between shooting RAW and Jpg and that's what happened.
01-26-2020, 08:29 PM   #7
spnelson2000

have tried pressing button

I have tried pressing button and taking picture, it shows on the display screen after I snap a photo a +- symbol and RAW. I can take 10 shots and they all do the same thing.

01-26-2020, 08:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I believe pressing the RAW/Fx button on the side may toggle you between shooting RAW and Jpg and that's what happened.
Ah, I've forgotten about that button. I have mine set to DoF preview.

To OP, to set it so that it doesn't change the file format, go into the menu under the fourth 'camera icon' menu, and go into "Button Customisation" and set it to something else, personally (as mentioned above) I like it as optical preview, which means when pressed it stops down the lens to the selected aperture offering a preview of the DoF and focus.
01-26-2020, 08:52 PM   #9
spnelson2000

what I did and no change

Ok, went to 4 under camera icon, went to button customization, selected it. selected the RAW/Fx One Push File Format. changed it to Optical Preview. Pressed it. Took a photo, still showed data processing on display screen and the +- icon with the letters RAW. when I pressed the review button I still got the "green" image on the display screen.
01-26-2020, 08:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not just go back to the factory default settings?
01-26-2020, 09:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Ok, went to 4 under camera icon, went to button customization, selected it. selected the RAW/Fx One Push File Format. changed it to Optical Preview. Pressed it. Took a photo, still showed data processing on display screen and the +- icon with the letters RAW. when I pressed the review button I still got the "green" image on the display screen.
Can you describe the 'green' image?

After changing the RAW/Fx button, did you set the camera back to JPEG in the menu?

Also, what shooting mode are you using?
01-26-2020, 09:24 PM   #12
spnelson2000

green image

it is like the photo is has no color except a flashing green image. I went and tried the reset but now it is worst. Going to give up and take it to the Pentax Store this week and see what they say.

Thank all of you for your help.

Steve
01-27-2020, 08:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
it is like the photo is has no color except a flashing green image. I went and tried the reset but now it is worst. Going to give up and take it to the Pentax Store this week and see what they say.

Steve
Hmm, you've lost me there. Make sure your battery is fully charged...?

Hopefully the store can help
01-28-2020, 03:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spnelson2000 Quote

Steve
Eeek - that sounds like a loose flat-flex connector for the LCD (or a straight-up failure somewhere in the graphical-processing pathway). Either way, should be easy for the repair shop to fix - replace the flat-flex, the LCD, or the main board... mind let us know how you get on!

Just out of curiosity - are the images saved to the SD card still green when you're looking at them on the PC - it'd tell us whether the problem is related to the datastream in the camera (it recorded a dodgy image) or whether its the hardware related to displaying the image on the camera (it recorded a good image, but is displaying it wrongly).