Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #1
Roland

K-x suddenly got very weird

All at once my flashes overexpose 5 or more stops. And outside non-flash shots have the upper 85% totally black. but only some of these. Some are OK and a few are out of focus or slightly underexposed. The outside shots w/o flash that are close to the subject (5-20') are well over-exposed, further ones are not. And suddenly when I view stem on the screen at the back of the KX, there is this flashing red light in all the overexposed portions.

I don't know of there is some arcane setting that got changed somehow, or whether the KX just blitzed. It is the same no matter the ASA/ISO setting. And I just got it back three or four months ago from the shop from a cleaning, so dirt getting somewhere seems unlikely.

06-15-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds a bit like the shutter is playing up. How much use has it had over the years?
Either that, or you've got the camera in Manual with a shutter speed too fast for the flash.
Try restoring all settings to the factory default first, and shoot some test shots with flash and without in P mode.
06-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Roland Quote
And outside non-flash shots have the upper 85% totally black. but only some of these.
That sounds like the shutter blocking the shot. Maybe the shutter is wonky.

Hit the ev button and make sure it isn't set high. I would probably also go with a factory reset if not quickly resolved but make sure your card works in old firmware. I know old cameras needed firmware for some cards but don't know if factory reset makes firmware reset.
06-16-2020, 01:33 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm guessing you meant the K-x (digital), and have updated the title accordingly

This could be a failure of the in-camera aperture motor. Do you get the same results with a manual lens (or without a lens at all)?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-16-2020, 06:21 AM   #5
Roland

K-X

Thanks, all. EV is set at 1/3, the lowest I can go (I think). I don't recall when I got this camera, as it replaced my first K-X, which was a new model when I bought it. I think this one was lightly used when I got it. They had been discontinued then, but I figured that I had been satisfied with my first K-X, sort of knew it, and liked using AA batteries. I use it for hundreds of shots when on vacation (once or twice year), around here once in a while (it Is scenic where I live) and every few days for my real estate business, which probably adds another 500 shots a year. I normally shoot on Auto (unless the knob got turned by mistake, which happens!).

I don't have a manual lens, just the kit lens and a Tamron 70-300 but did try shots with no lens (never would have thought of that). With flash on, it's all white (flashing with red). With flash off, it's totally dark. I fooled around with the flash settings and that part seems to be working once more. No more blinding white photos. Will I get them again in the future? We'll see. It should have worked correctly no matter what setting I used.

I used to sell photos once in a while, and often gave slide shows to audiences. That was in film days when I used Nikon FE and FMs. With the advent of digital, I seem to have lost much of my original interest as I am not very technically-oriented and do not enjoy fooling with things in the computer, even less inside the camera. I'm more of a "set it and forget it" person so have little familiarity with the many intricate settings available today.

Fooling with it yesterday, I have not been able to get the black upper 85% again. There were quite a few on the shoot a couple of days ago. One thing to mention: the bottom of the black was not a sharp line, like one might expect when a curtain was not synced properly. It was more indistinct.
09-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Roland I have a Kx with just under 12000 shutter clicks on it and would be willing to sell it to you if interested. It has worked very well for me. I recently upgraded to a K70 and have another Kx as a back up for it. Let me know if you might be interested.
11-06-2020, 06:21 AM   #7
FJC

If you want to know the number of shutter actuations of your camera, just upload your last shot to "Camera Shutter Count" in the Internet.