Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2020, 11:05 PM   #1
DPanakkal7

K70 aperture block failure

How do I resolve / repair the aperture block failure issue? I live in Los Angeles

06-20-2020, 11:19 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DPanakkal7 Quote
How do I resolve / repair the aperture block failure issue? I live in Los Angeles
If you'd like to get it repaired, here is info on how to send it in to the Pentax repair center:
Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - PentaxForums.com

Or, if you'd like to do it yourself, here are detailed instructions:
Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-21-2020, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish Pentax would have invested extra $.10 to address this issue before the release of K70. Almost 3 years now, my K50 still going strong after the surgery!! This is my travel buddy along with the 40mm XS lens. Would love to have the flippy screen of K70.
09-06-2020, 06:42 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just got mine back after the saame failure. Besides the Aperture Block there was also a failed resistor, I'm unsure if the resistor failed because of or caused the Aperture Block failure

09-06-2020, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
I wish Pentax would have invested extra $.10 to address this issue before the release of K70. Almost 3 years now, my K50 still going strong after the surgery!! This is my travel buddy along with the 40mm XS lens. Would love to have the flippy screen of K70.
How are they to address it?
The company which manufactures their solenoids moved all production to China.
The "non-Chinese" 'white' solenoids are not available in volume at any price.

I think the best 'fix' is to use a different mechanism - the stepper motor used in the KP, as well as in their 'flagship' cameras - but that seems to cost a tad more than $.10.
Purchase a KP, and you will have your flippy screen.

Last edited by reh321; 09-06-2020 at 08:36 AM.
09-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you'd like to get it repaired, here is info on how to send it in to the Pentax repair center:
Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - PentaxForums.com

Or, if you'd like to do it yourself, here are detailed instructions:
Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com
or the OP can get aperture-ring equipped lenses and control aperture "the old fashioned way" from the lens and use "green button" metering, as I did by getting an FA 28-105 lens.