Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2020, 06:52 AM   #1
Dr. Sunil W Kolte

Replacement of Pentax MZ 50 with new digital camera having same front aperature

I am having Pentax MZ 50 camera fitted to a zoom stereoscope microscope. It requires film. I want to know whether I could get equivalent digital camera so that I can replace the old one. The new digital camera should have similar aperture as that of Pentax MZ50, so that I can fit it into the camera hloder of the stereoscope microscope. Can you help?

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 07-21-2020 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Removed email address due to safety concerns
07-21-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The physical mount on all Pentax digital cameras is the same as that of the MZ 50 so if you are attaching at the mount then yes it should work. If you are attaching at the lens front then we would need to know what lens is being used. It is likely that will also work by using a similar or even the same lens but mounted to a digital camera.
07-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I assume you mean the lens mount on the camera ? That being so, any and all Pentax DSLR cameras have a version of the K mount fitted to the MZ-50, so should work with your other equipment. The limiting factors will be cost and IQ - the more modern cameras have better IQ and noise suppression than the older models, but can cost substantially more - presumably you are happy with pre-owned ? Have a look at some of the listings on eBay, get an idea of price, and of course on PF there are equipment comparison threads galore to help you choose, based on other people's experience rather than the advertiser's inflated descriptions!

Good luck anyway.

(Beat me to it, Jatrax !)
07-23-2020, 08:42 PM   #4
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Dr

The camera change yes the K mount is the same.
Would there be any issues if where the pop up flash housing it was longer on a newer camera ( overhang ) to the MZ 50 s. ?
It is more than likely that somewhere on this forum someone will know the measurements between camera models.

Dave

08-05-2020, 03:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll add to what others have said. If you'd like to have the same field of view as you have from your MZ-50, then get a K-1II. If you're happy to have a smaller field of view, then get a KP or wait for the release of the new APS-C model.