Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2021, 03:57 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that usually its not worth fixing haze (which can be caused by a number of things), except where:
* The lens sufficiently valuable - then it might be worth fixing
* You are able to do it your self (not something I recommend unless you have relevant experience).

On the other hand if the lens is cheap and the haze is very light, then the lens can still be used as is (signficant haze will most likely flare more and lose contrast)

06-29-2021, 01:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I've had a lot of good experiences cleaning lenses with dust blowers, lens wipes and microfiber cloths to remove 'haze'. If there's fungus, I've often tried to soak the elements in hydrogen peroxide, and that usually seems to do a good job.
07-13-2021, 08:13 AM   #18
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I wouldn't buy a lens with haze. I had one, with haze that resulted from dropping it in a (very clear, incidentally) stream. The lens worked fine but realistically would never be the same optically (or eventually probably mechanically.) So I scrapped it.
It could have been cleaned, and lubricated, then reassembled.
07-13-2021, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
It could have been cleaned, and lubricated, then reassembled.
This was a consumer-but-above-kit level "normal" zoom. At the time I dropped it the cost of the lens new was, within a few dollars, equal to the cost of having it serviced would have been, plus amount I got for it (with disclosure) on a trade-in.

I'm not a big fan of repairs vs. replacement on photo or electronic equipment when the cost is anywhere close, and should have listened to myself with regard to a recent laptop repair. I'm typing now on the new replacement laptop I ended up with anyway, although the old one is back in partially operating condition. I'm okay with factory service if time is not a factor, or service by someone you know - although I'm somewhat cautious when the only references I have are reviews on the internet.