Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2020, 10:53 PM   #1
chuff

thin haze cleaning advice

Im in the process of purchasing a lens with some light hazing to it. My question to the forum is this. Can it be clean professionally and can a forum recommend a proffessional to undertake this task

Thank you

09-28-2020, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #2

It depends on the lens, where or which elements are affected and whatever the source of the haze was.

Recommendations for service or cleaning would depend on the model of the lens and your location.

What lens is in question?
09-28-2020, 11:21 PM   #3
chuff

cleaning advice

Its a TAKUMAR 105mm f/2.4
10-01-2020, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't want to sidetrack the OP too much, but what are usual sources for haze? I thought it was vaporized helicoid lube.

10-01-2020, 07:07 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are many types of what Ebay lens sellers call "haze".

Sometimes lens separation can look like "haze". If that's the cause of the haze, it will be very difficult for the average photographer to correct at home, and there are few lens repair services that would do it. Unless it's a very expensive lens, such damage will often effectlively make the lens a constructive total loss.

On the other hand, if the haze is light, fairly new and near one of the outer elements, it can sometimes be easily removed by the adventurous do-it-yourselfer.

I have had some cases of older haze that had permanently attached itself to the elements surface and could not be removed with any of the 5 solvents that I commonly use. It's not uncommon for me to find haze that is impossible to remove!

Unless a lens with haze in it is super cheap, it's usually best to not buy it because you really never know how difficult the haze will be to remove until you take the lens apart and actually try to remove it.

When I have a lens with haze that I can't remove, the best and easiest approach is usually to find a "donor" lens, and swap a good element from the donor lens with the element with the haze on it.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-01-2020 at 07:21 AM.
10-02-2020, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've had "haze" in a lens that was vaporized helicoid lube (that then redeposits itself on the internal lens elements). It was cleaned off by a former forum member for a fairly reasonable price.
If I took photos of it with a macro lens it looked like condensation (which is what it is)

I've had "haze" in lenses that was element separation. There was nothing for it there, as it was an inexpensive lens.
That was splotchy, like glue that's been pulled apart (which is basically what it is)

I've had "haze" in vintage lenses that looks a bit different. I've left that alone unless it was something that looked like I could clean it off.
That's been smoother and with no distinct edges or bubbles...

-Eric
10-03-2020, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haze as noted can be lubricant based, or fungi. A technician with a hood and Ether/alcohol should be able to remove vaporized lubricant. Fungi can etch the coated surface.....But fungi is rarely on a single element.
10-05-2020, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Run away from any lens with internal haze or fungus. Not worth the trouble and you can contaminate your other optics.

Regards

11-10-2020, 07:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I know a lot of people donít find fungus to be a deal breaker if the image quality is good but I avoid at all costs. Tried to clean a few lenses with very light fungus just to get experience but always found the glass to be etched.
11-12-2020, 03:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Oh, this is a very painful question. My experience is that the lens must be free of fungus, I am very afraid of contamination of healthy lenses. As for the haze from the vapors of the lubricant, unfortunately this cannot always be corrected, many old lenses cannot be completely disassembled, or there is a high risk of damaging the lens. I am familiar with an experienced master at the Canon Center, he is very reluctant to take on some types of lenses.
11-12-2020, 04:17 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Buy it an try it, it may still shoot just fine.
11-13-2020, 06:40 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great question. Great advice. Thanks for sharing so we can all learn.
11-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I wouldn't buy a lens with haze. I had one, with haze that resulted from dropping it in a (very clear, incidentally) stream. The lens worked fine but realistically would never be the same optically (or eventually probably mechanically.) So I scrapped it.
11-13-2020, 05:50 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its all about value....If its a cheap enough deal, great! If it's pricey, Buyer Beware!