Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-22-2020, 03:56 AM   #1
chuff

re winding film

Good afternoon to the forum

Ive just finished my first roll of film but Ive not idea how to wind the film on ready for processing.

Can anyone on the forum help please. I want to insure I do this correctly before opening the camera

Thank you

10-22-2020, 04:42 AM   #2

Hi, definitely don't open the back until you've wound the film back into the canister. What model is it? I'm sure someone will help.

10-22-2020, 04:49 AM   #3
chuff

Its a 6X7. I certainly would not.

The issue is the re winding of the film when finished
10-22-2020, 04:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chuff Quote

Ive just finished my first roll of film but Ive not idea how to wind the film on ready for processing.

Can anyone on the forum help please. I want to insure I do this correctly before opening the camera

Check it out, link to YouTube.

Thank you

10-22-2020, 04:53 AM   #5
chuff

Thank you but I need the rewind on a 6x7 which is different to the enclosed vid
10-22-2020, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

You don't rewind 120 film. It has a paper backing to protect it. At the end of the roll you crank the lever a few times to ensure the roll is all the way in the take up spool. There is typically a sticker or tape that says EXPOSED you use to keep it from unwinding. You take it out and the swap the empty spool on the left to the right so you can load the next roll.
Hope this helps.

*EDIT* found this video on Youtube:

Thanks,
10-22-2020, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chuff Quote

Thank you
Here is a link to the 6x7 manual:

Pentax 6x7 Manual

It goes over film loading/unloading.

Phil.

11-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Here is a link to the 6x7 manual:

Pentax 6x7 Manual

It goes over film loading/unloading.

Phil.
I recall drooling over this and a Mamiya but both were out of my price range. Did loading or unloading need to be done in the dark? With no canister, how did light not ruin the film?
11-02-2020, 05:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

120 Film has a paper backing that protects the film. The paper has a long leading and trailing extensions that as long as it is properly wrapped around the spool (at the beginning and at the end) it is safe to work outside of darkness. Of course if you open the back mid roll it will be ruined.

Thanks,
11-03-2020, 08:09 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

120 Film has a paper backing that protects the film. The paper has a long leading and trailing extensions that as long as it is properly wrapped around the spool (at the beginning and at the end) it is safe to work outside of darkness. Of course if you open the back mid roll it will be ruined.

Thanks,
Thank you for that! As you described it, I started to remember my dad's camera that used something similar, back in the early 1960s or before.
12-14-2020, 05:46 AM   #11
Forum Member

You don't rewind 120 film. Check other answers here too.
12-14-2020, 06:39 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Of course if you open the back mid roll it will be ruined.
Yeah, not a good idea, but strictly speaking, in the case of 120 film, only the frames in between the two reels, ie the unrolled part, will be ruined. The parts of the film rolled up in their reels would be protected by the paper backing. So if you were to open the back accidentally (perhaps if you thought the roll was finished) it would still be worth closing it again, finishing the roll, and developing it.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 12-14-2020 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Clarified this is about 120 film
12-14-2020, 06:43 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Using a medium format film camera with interchangeable backs, it is possible to change films (for example, mono to colour) mid-roll by swapping the back over. The film in the removeable back, both exposed and unused, is protected by a dark slide, interlocked so the back cannot be removed unless it has been inserted correctly.
12-15-2020, 12:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Yeah, not a good idea, but strictly speaking, in the case of 120 film, only the frames in between the two reels, ie the unrolled part, will be ruined. The parts of the film rolled up in their reels would be protected by the paper backing. So if you were to open the back accidentally (perhaps if you thought the roll was finished) it would still be worth closing it again, finishing the roll, and developing it.
I've even opened up 35mm film and most of the film was fine after shooting a 36 exposure role. Only the last few shots were really ruined.
12-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I've even opened up 35mm film and most of the film was fine after shooting a 36 exposure role. Only the last few shots were really ruined.
Aren't you the lucky one! I've done that disaster once or twice (or more ) and had no good results, ever.