Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-23-2020, 07:20 AM   #1
danding

ME Super - Shutter button still releases in "LOCK" mode

Hi everyone, I just got an ME Super earlier today and took it out for a bit of shooting.

Everything seems to work fine, except for one thing:

With the dial in the 'L' shutter release lock mode, the shutter is still able to fire. I'm still able to press the shutter release button all the way down, as if it wasn't locked at all.

In this mode, the light meter doesn't work, which i believe is intended.

What could be the possible cause of this?

12-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If this is a recent purchase, you may wish to ask the seller. The shutter should not release when the mode dial is engaged in the lock position.

Steve
12-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
danding

Thanks for the reply - Unfortunately I bought this from an overseas auction, so I'm unable to contact the seller. I'm not sure if they would know either.

What could be a mechanical reason as to why the lock function isn't working? I can't find much information on it online.
12-24-2020, 12:40 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
What could be a mechanical reason as to why the lock function isn't working?
I truly don't know, having not taken one of those apart.

If the camera was described as being fully operational and you are able to lodge a complaint, you may be able to negotiate a partial refund.

Steve

12-24-2020, 09:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by danding Quote
Thanks for the reply - Unfortunately I bought this from an overseas auction, so I'm unable to contact the seller. I'm not sure if they would know either.

What could be a mechanical reason as to why the lock function isn't working? I can't find much information on it online.
Checking my "Super Program", which I believe was a slightly later camera, confirms that putting it in the "lock" position prevents the shutter from working. My memory, from when it was my primary camera, is that putting it in the "lock" position completely shut down the camera - no power would reach anywhere obvious. I have never taken that part apart {and I really don't want to now} but I am quite sure that your's does have a mechanical problem. What to do with that information is your decision. A skilled repairman could take it apart, but you would have to pay for that skill.
12-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems that on the dial there's a rod that when put into Lock mode pushes on a white plastic lever. This lever engages with a set of contacts, lifting the contact away and breaking the circuit.

The ME Super shutter button/dial isn't difficult to remove/inspect - there's one spring and detent to look out for, but removing the top cover to get a good look at the white lever is more involved. If you're in the UK and it turns out to be a broken part I have a bunch of busted ME Supers that I can strip a spare from.

Last edited by RedRuff; 12-25-2020 at 08:28 AM.
12-27-2020, 08:18 AM   #7
danding

Appreciate the responses my RedRuff and reh321, that's exactly what I was looking for. After I finish this roll of film I'll tinker around with the camera and take a look at the white lever you're talking about. I'll keep you guys up to date with what I find

12-27-2020, 11:05 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay so my nonsense about the white lever is probably not the issue you're having . I only just realised you mentioned the shutter button can still be pressed so I went back and took another camera apart to see how it worked, and finally found out what blocks it in Lock mode...

Green is the contact I mentioned that get lifted by the white plastic lever

Blue is the area the shutter button presses to trip the shutter

Red is a lever that gets pushed aside by the strip of thin metal sticking down from the shutter dial which blocks a hook shaped protrusion attached to Blue, thus physically preventing the shutter being pressed.

Your problem might be that the thin strip of metal protruding from the shutter dial could be bent, maybe as a result of being force-assembled in Lock mode. To get this far into the camera you'll need a lens disassembly tool or some needle-nosed pliers to remove the various nuts holding the ASA dial and wind lever. I don't know how much you like taking things apart so it might be better to get used to keeping your finger off the trigger
01-07-2021, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by RedRuff Quote
Okay so my nonsense about the white lever is probably not the issue you're having . I only just realised you mentioned the shutter button can still be pressed so I went back and took another camera apart to see how it worked, and finally found out what blocks it in Lock mode...

Green is the contact I mentioned that get lifted by the white plastic lever

Blue is the area the shutter button presses to trip the shutter

Red is a lever that gets pushed aside by the strip of thin metal sticking down from the shutter dial which blocks a hook shaped protrusion attached to Blue, thus physically preventing the shutter being pressed.

Your problem might be that the thin strip of metal protruding from the shutter dial could be bent, maybe as a result of being force-assembled in Lock mode. To get this far into the camera you'll need a lens disassembly tool or some needle-nosed pliers to remove the various nuts holding the ASA dial and wind lever. I don't know how much you like taking things apart so it might be better to get used to keeping your finger off the trigger
I just performed the repair at home with some JIS screwdrivers & a lens spannner!

Thanks so much RedRuff for your great images and description! Lifesaver. Turns out you were right, the strip of metal appeared bent. I've attached two photos for anyone that stumbles upon this thread and circled the metal strip under the shutter button dial that I straightened with a pair of tweezers. That strip appears to insert inside a moveable shutter lock bracket, so I needed to play with the angle of the strip to make sure it inserts into the slot properly. This then allows the shutter lock to engage properly!
Attached Images

01-07-2021, 10:43 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by danding Quote
I just performed the repair at home with some JIS screwdrivers & a lens spannner!

Thanks so much RedRuff for your great images and description! Lifesaver. Turns out you were right, the strip of metal appeared bent. I've attached two photos for anyone that stumbles upon this thread and circled the metal strip under the shutter button dial that I straightened with a pair of tweezers. That strip appears to insert inside a moveable shutter lock bracket, so I needed to play with the angle of the strip to make sure it inserts into the slot properly. This then allows the shutter lock to engage properly!
Glad you got it working again!
06-19-2021, 09:04 PM   #11
Forum Member

Great views of the assembly. I think I will not use the lock feature just to prevent this occurrence. Have not used this lock much before.