Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2021, 03:35 AM   #1
michellefilmnewbie

Pentax Espio 928 'E' code appears midroll

I'm new to film camera and got myself this point and shoot cam off depop. The E code appears midroll (sometimes after 10 to 20 shots) and refuses to advance my film. 'E" or '0' bounces back and forth on my monitor. It's devastating as I have to rewind the film back to its canister and waste the rest of the unused film or try fishing out the film leader. I found that it often happens after a bumpy trip (in a car ride, or when I'm running with the camera in my hand or my backpack). It is also quite sensitive and a slight bump or shake will cause the camera to wind erratically (am only aware of it happening when the camera is empty). I got the first roll of film developed and it came out fine, but the appearance of this E code is driving me nuts. I have no clue what's happening. Is there anything I can do/ should do to prevent this from happening in the future? Any ideas why this may be happening? Could it be the way I'm loading the film incorrectly or should I get my camera checked? Thank you so much!

06-10-2021, 07:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by michellefilmnewbie Quote
I'm new to film camera and got myself this point and shoot cam off depop. The E code appears midroll (sometimes after 10 to 20 shots) and refuses to advance my film. 'E" or '0' bounces back and forth on my monitor. It's devastating as I have to rewind the film back to its canister and waste the rest of the unused film or try fishing out the film leader. I found that it often happens after a bumpy trip (in a car ride, or when I'm running with the camera in my hand or my backpack). It is also quite sensitive and a slight bump or shake will cause the camera to wind erratically (am only aware of it happening when the camera is empty). I got the first roll of film developed and it came out fine, but the appearance of this E code is driving me nuts. I have no clue what's happening. Is there anything I can do/ should do to prevent this from happening in the future? Any ideas why this may be happening? Could it be the way I'm loading the film incorrectly or should I get my camera checked? Thank you so much!
Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like a film loading issue and the canister is not seeded properly. That may explain when the camera is shaken/bumped the film loading "E" error happens.

Here is a link to the manual if you don't have one. Check to see if you are inserting the canister properly and there are no broken parts visible.

U Sa Ble Lilm - Pentax ESPIO 928 QUARTZ DATE Operating Manual [Page 8] | ManualsLib

Phil.
02-19-2022, 02:33 PM   #3
Eve

Same thing happened to mine. On the first roll, I got to the 33rd exposure, was standing next to loud drum playing with the camera in my bag. Took it out later and it had the E on the screen. I removed the film in a pitch black room later and hand wound it back in, and all the pictures came out fine after I got them developed. That was my first time using the camera. I'm now on my 2nd roll, at the 17th exposure. I literally just picked it up and the camera rewound the film by itself back to 0!!! Again, I went to a pitch back room, turned off the flash, and fired 18 shots. Now I will attempt to finish the rest of this roll. Not sure if it's just my camera or this camera model that is so finicky??
02-22-2022, 05:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's not just the 928...

I've had a couple of the IQZooms/Espios of that vintage that did that. And some Minoltas and Canons with the same basic thing.
As mine were usually bought secondhand with no knowledge of their history, I treated it as "something very expensive has happened..." and got another one, though that was when they were selling for $20 each.

You are fortunate the camera still works enough to let you salvage the film and try again. When I've had cameras that did it, they would not wind at all, or would make some "binding-like" noise and not load.

-Eric