Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2021, 09:55 AM   #1
Jay in Boise

broken chain, Pentax 6x7

Hi, I'm guessing the chain that broke on my 6x7 is the one that's been discussed in earlier question/answer threads. Since I don't use TTL metering, I have always used an incident light meter, how important is it to even have the chain? Right now it's dangling down from the top of the lens mount and just hanging there. Can I just cut it off with wire cutters? Any thoughts?
Thanks, Jay.

09-13-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd be inclined to remove the chain completely rather than leave bits floating around. Not having taken a 6x7 apart, I can't say if there's a risk of a chain fragment jamming but that's something you don't need. Just saw a YouTube video from Portland Camera Service, dated August 1, 2021 (
) showing off an upgraded chain so that possibility exists too (no indication of the cost is given). Some people have, apparently, had luck in reconnecting the separated chain links and compressing the offending link. Not sure how strong that link would be, especially on a well-used body, but it might be worth a shot. In your case, it may be tidier than cutting the old chain out. Good luck with your choice.
09-13-2021, 01:54 PM   #3
Jay in Boise

thank you.
12-10-2021, 07:27 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jay, were you able to fix it?