Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2022, 02:13 PM   #1
AstroMarty

Image Sync control of K70 without lens for astro setup not working

Hi,
I use a K70 for astro photography with the camera attached to a telescope with a T-ring and adaptor, i.e. without an ordinary lens connected to the camera. In this configuration I want to control the camera with Image Sync. The problem I have is that when the camera is under remote control via Image Sync I can't change shutter speed or ISO. The only properties I can control is exposure compensation and WB. However, I can change these properties with the buttons and dials directly on the camera without using Image Sync. So, I don't think it is a problem with the camera but rather a bug in Image Sync. Has anyone else experienced this? For me this would be of great value to solve since it would enable me to fully remotely operate my astro setup (without needing to be standing next to it during cold nights!). I think without the possibility to control all exposure properties with Image Sync when the camera has no lens attached would make it less attractive for astro use since there are no other means for tethering. I have not been able to find anything about this in manuals etc. I posted the same question in the "Pentax Cameras" FB group yesterday, with little response.

02-10-2022, 03:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure I can really help, as I haven't tried the set up, but the only thing that comes to mind is the update of the Image Sync App. A few comments have been made about the latest versions.
02-10-2022, 05:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroMarty Quote
Hi,
I use a K70 for astro photography with the camera attached to a telescope with a T-ring and adaptor, i.e. without an ordinary lens connected to the camera. In this configuration I want to control the camera with Image Sync. The problem I have is that when the camera is under remote control via Image Sync I can't change shutter speed or ISO. The only properties I can control is exposure compensation and WB. However, I can change these properties with the buttons and dials directly on the camera without using Image Sync. So, I don't think it is a problem with the camera but rather a bug in Image Sync. Has anyone else experienced this? For me this would be of great value to solve since it would enable me to fully remotely operate my astro setup (without needing to be standing next to it during cold nights!). I think without the possibility to control all exposure properties with Image Sync when the camera has no lens attached would make it less attractive for astro use since there are no other means for tethering. I have not been able to find anything about this in manuals etc. I posted the same question in the "Pentax Cameras" FB group yesterday, with little response.
Looking at the explanation of functions it appears you should be able to control ISO and aperture as well. I don't have my camera with me today (oh the horrors!) or I'd verify.
Functional Explanation / Image Sync / APP / DOWNLOAD / SUPPORT | RICOH IMAGING

EDIT: Until I looked at that explanation of features I had no clue the K3III had additional functions available with Image sync.
EDIT2: Which may explain the limitations when using Astrotracer on a K70 or K1? The same limitations don't appear to apply with the K3III or KP.

Last edited by gatorguy; 02-10-2022 at 06:13 AM.
02-10-2022, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroMarty Quote
Hi,
If you can quote exactly how your camera is set up Mode Dial, AF/MF Switch, are you using the Astrophoto option or your own settings and anything else that might be relevant I'll replicate it and have a fiddle.