Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2022, 05:50 AM   #1
Donald Cook

Downloading to laptop problem

My X-5 won't download to my HP Windows 10 laptop. A message says it is malfunctioning. I haven't used it for three years and haven't downloaded any photos since 2015. Bought a new lead, same result. Tried to download onto wife's Windows 10 laptop, same result. Any thoughts?

07-28-2022, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hello Donald. Have you tried removing the SD card from the camera and inserting it directly into your computer?
07-28-2022, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Donald -

Does the X-5 show what is on the card if you press the > button on the back? If there are images on the card and the card itself is fine, then pjv's advice may work.
If your laptops do not have an SD card slot, you might have to go get a SD to USB adapter, like this.

If the X-5 shows no images, then sadly your SD card may have become corrupted and there is nothing that can be done.

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 07-28-2022 at 06:44 AM.
07-28-2022, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Donald -

Does the X-5 show what is on the card if you press the > button on the back? If there are images on the card and the card itself is fine, then pjv's advice may work.
If your laptops do not have an SD card slot, you might have to go get a SD to USB adapter, like this.

If the X-5 shows no images, then sadly your SD card may have become corrupted and there is nothing that can be done.
Or something has happened with the X-5. You might still be able to remove the card and use your computer (with the use of a card reader if necessary) to download the SD card contents. If that fails, then start looking at the card as the issue. Even then, there are card recovery application which might help salvage the card contents.

07-28-2022, 08:36 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Cook Quote
My X-5 won't download to my HP Windows 10 laptop. A message says it is malfunctioning. I haven't used it for three years and haven't downloaded any photos since 2015. Bought a new lead, same result. Tried to download onto wife's Windows 10 laptop, same result. Any thoughts?
One of the problems we used to have in the lab industry was people buying cards and sticking them straight into their camera and using them without formatting them. If the images show up on your camera screen but you can't download them, or even see the card on your computer, this may be the issue.