Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2023, 10:33 PM   #1
twitesman

K100D internal battery is dead!

K100D internal battery is dead! How / where to replace the internal battery? Not the 4 AA batteries.

Last edited by pschlute; 04-02-2023 at 03:31 AM. Reason: removed email
04-02-2023, 03:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitesman Quote
K100D internal battery is dead! How / where to replace the internal battery? Not the 4 AA batteries.
Hi. I have removed your email from the post as it is generally not a good idea to post that in open forum.

You will hopefully get an answer to your question, but may do better if you become a forum member and post in the troubleshooting sub-forum
04-02-2023, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It might be a procedure similar to Tutorial: Change Back-up Battery Pentax K-30, K-50, K-500 - PentaxForums.com

Why you shouldn't store your Pentax without the main battery - PentaxForums.com

Sometimes you can revive the internal battery by entering full main batteries and keeping camera on / using long time , to recharge the internal battery. Especially after long storage without main batteries ..., it just needs time to recharge the internal battery.

12hours to full charge of internal backup battery is hinted here in the faq K100D : Digital SLR Cameras | RICOH IMAGING
04-02-2023, 05:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Years ago when I moved on from my Pentax *ist DS, that camera was packed away, no batteries, and forgotten about. Ten years later I was inspired to dig it out and try a few shots with it after some one else posted a good image taken with the same model. I put some rechargeable AAs in it and everything worked including all settings and my info.

04-02-2023, 06:07 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both my k100d and k100d super have dead onboard batteries. I just live with it.
04-02-2023, 08:16 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

My K100D Super has had a dead internal for years. I simply set date and time every time I change batteries. I really don't miss it in terms of functionality.
That been said, if there is a simple fix out there I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks,
Ismael
04-04-2023, 08:21 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

The K100D service manual shows the internal battery mounted on the main board just below and to the left of the viewfinder, so replacing it would mean removing the camera's external casing. It's not something that has any real impact on using the camera, so it's probably best just to live with it. The risk of bricking the camera trying to replace the internal battery doesn't seem worth it.

The internal battery in my own K100D is dead, and as others have pointed out all you have to do is reset the date each time you load a new set of AA batteries.

04-04-2023, 08:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
The K100D service manual shows the internal battery mounted on the main board just below and to the left of the viewfinder, so replacing it would mean removing the camera's external casing. It's not something that has any real impact on using the camera, so it's probably best just to live with it. The risk of bricking the camera trying to replace the internal battery doesn't seem worth it.

The internal battery in my own K100D is dead, and as others have pointed out all you have to do is reset the date each time you load a new set of AA batteries.
It’s also sometimes difficult to source the exact same size and voltage part when replacing this type of battery. I don’t know if that’s an issue with the k100d.
04-14-2023, 03:53 PM   #9

Dead internal battery

Right now I have 2 Pentax bodies (K-x & K-01) with the dead internal battery/capacitor. Fine, I have no problem to set up the time/date every time I need to recharge the main battery. However, I am not sure whether this dead part is not depleting (continuously discharging) the main battery. At least I suspect this is happening to my K-01. Its a pity I can't measure the current consumption without disassembling the camera.