Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2023, 01:10 PM   #1
William DeGarmo

Pentax ZX-10 Repairs

I have a Pentax ZX-10 camera that was given to me. I discovered that the mirror was loose inside the camera body. Is there a way that I can repair this? Or do you make camera repairs and what might the cost be for such repairs? Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you,

Bill DeGarmo
email address redacted for privacy

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-26-2023 at 01:55 PM. Reason: email removed
04-26-2023, 01:52 PM   #2

Lack of parts makes repairing the MZ/ZX series next to impossible. Much of it depends on what repair is needed. Unless the camera has some sentimental value for you it is probably easier to buy a replacement camera, either working or with a fault (mirror lockup) that can be repaired with third party parts.

NSB-Tekunos in Japan might be able to repair it but the cost might be more than a replacement camera would be.

Note: I edited out your email address from your post for privacy issues.
04-26-2023, 02:25 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MZ or ZX series suffer often from a plastic mirror gear failure, but then the mirror flips to upward position ...
Loose is not typical unless a spring also broke... or another problem emerged.

If the gear error, If you are not afraid disassembling a camera, start here
MZ5n mirror blocked, service manual? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
The thread is long and evolved, but it contains what, how to repair and where spare gear can be obtained...

A search on this forum for ”MZ mirror gear” yields more results...

But MZ or ZX ’s (the name variant depends on Europe, America,... origin) are found cheap if you want an easy replacement....
04-27-2023, 09:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

When you say 'loose', do you mean completely detached ? If so, it may be possible to re-fix it to the mechanism which 'flips' it out of the light path when exposing.