Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #1

A few shots at Street Photography
Lens: SMC-A 50mm f/1.7 Camera: K-x Photo Location: San Francisco ISO: 800 Aperture: F2.8 

Since some of the people in the other forum said I ought to post a few of these in this forum, here's 6 that I think work well for a series.

01-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Forum Member

All awesome pics. #2 is my fave.
01-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Compare to Vivian Maier.-Much Better IMO

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Tuttle Quote
Here are 2 links on the works of Vivian Maier street photographer. Reminds me of Weegee and Margaret Bourke White. Not to be missed!

Welcome to Vivian Maier Photography | Vivian Maier Photo Collection

Vivian Maier - Her Discovered Work

This can be found on the adjoining site, Post your photos!

QuoteOriginally posted by CameoFX Quote
Do you mean I should post in the critique section? And wow! that's a bit of an overcompliment I think I'm just an amateur starting out.

Sure thing I just figured I'd post a bunch and see what came of it [i really have no idea how things work around here].

Last edited by Sparkle; 01-06-2011 at 12:39 AM.
01-06-2011, 05:25 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good textures and detail rendered in these B&Ws.
Well done.
Bold compositions.
Thanks for sharing.

01-06-2011, 05:26 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good textures and detail rendered in these B&Ws.
Well done.
Bold compositions.
Thanks for sharing.
01-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #6
Inactive Account

That's a double compliment from Ash. LOL
01-06-2011, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Certainly #2 and #6 capture fantastic facial expressions.

#3 and #5 are some what odd moments in time but I didn't respond to them as much.

Regarding the exposure and the b&w conversions, the high-contrast look that is so often associated with 'street' photography has blown some highlights, particularly in #6 where we have this blob of hair and shirt behind the woman. Hard to say without seeing the original, but retaining some detail there may have been useful.

Either way I had to revisit the series twice and pick at nits to come up with anything resembling constructive input. Very well done!

01-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I find street photography a real challenge so I am doubly impressed. Nice work.
01-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #9

Not bad. You like harsh contrast. Nothing special about it. The expresions are indifferent.
01-09-2011, 04:56 AM   #10
Inactive Account

The idea here is to compare/contrast with the street photography of Vivian Maier, not whether one likes street photography, B & W or not. It requires an assessment of the two.
01-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
Certainly #2 and #6 capture fantastic facial expressions.

#3 and #5 are some what odd moments in time but I didn't respond to them as much.

Regarding the exposure and the b&w conversions, the high-contrast look that is so often associated with 'street' photography has blown some highlights, particularly in #6 where we have this blob of hair and shirt behind the woman. Hard to say without seeing the original, but retaining some detail there may have been useful.

Either way I had to revisit the series twice and pick at nits to come up with anything resembling constructive input. Very well done!
Oh yeah I was a little upset about that one - I had to rush over to grab the shot and was really not prepared anyways, and my expoosure comp threw off the hair highlights. And then there it goes...

QuoteOriginally posted by climit Quote
Not bad. You like harsh contrast. Nothing special about it. The expresions are indifferent.
I turned up the contrast for the street photography because it gives more of an intensity, or that "gritty" feel that seems fitting for these images [I feel].

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
The idea here is to compare/contrast with the street photography of Vivian Maier, not whether one likes street photography, B & W or not. It requires an assessment of the two.
Thanks again for the compliments Sparkle!