Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2011, 01:52 AM   #466
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here in Singapore we had over 60 Pentax users showed up in our monthly gathering, the biggest outing we've ever had:

You can click on the photos to see bigger versions

01-22-2011, 06:12 AM   #467
Veteran Member

Last week I was walking in old city Jerusalem and I saw two Japanese tourists with K-x and kit lenses. no locals so far.
01-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #468
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Saw several Colleagues on a TransAtlantic Cruise this fall. I think there are a number of European Lodge Members.
01-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #469
Veteran Member

What a fantastic Pentax outing today!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Here in Singapore we had over 60 Pentax users showed up in our monthly gathering, the biggest outing we've ever had:

You can click on the photos to see bigger versions
Frank, I'm really glad to have gone for today's Pentax Singapore user outing. Definitely enjoyed the great camaraderie and chats with so many of those who attended. Actually the number is closer to 70 people... plus I definitely saw quite a number people on the street toting Pentax cameras.
Anyway one of the highlights is you playing with Loke's brand new Sigma 500mm f/4.5 HSM. What an awesome lens!!!

01-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #470
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Frank, I'm really glad to have gone for today's Pentax Singapore user outing. Definitely enjoyed the great camaraderie and chats with so many of those who attended. Actually the number is closer to 70 people... plus I definitely saw quite a number people on the street toting Pentax cameras.
Anyway one of the highlights is you playing with Loke's brand new Sigma 500mm f/4.5 HSM. What an awesome lens!!!
Thanks for the photo, Denis. The lens is indeed awesome. I wish it were mine ...
01-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #471

I noticed someone with a K10D or K20 on the ferry back to SF from Sausalito yesterday. Other other cameras that stood out for me, is it looked like another person had a Hasselblad around the Ferry Building, and there was someone using a large format camera in Union Square.
01-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #472
Forum Member

Yeah, PENTAX users are rare, but not that much. Just week after I bought my K-x I went to Spain and Morocco. I saw a tourist with pentax dslr in Marrakech and another one in Cordoba. I haven't seen anyone else with a pentax camera since then (more than three months). People mostly have Canons.
But I have to say that I don't understand why people buy Canon entry-level DSLRs. I think they are too overpriced and aren't as good as pentax ones. Also Pentax K5 is probably the best APS-C dslr on the market right now.

Last edited by freddykrueger; 01-23-2011 at 11:26 AM.
01-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #473
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shared this in a separate thread, but this one is likely to last longer, so here it goes...

I was at a press event for the introduction of a new motorcycle. One photo, a Hassy shooter, had borrowed a Nikon and a K-5 (or was it a K-7?) for the evening. I think he shot the whole evening with the Nikon.

Another guy had a blue K-x.

I was shooting video, so I had the GH2. Wish I had the K-5 for the dynamic range though...
01-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #474

I went on my first meetup group hike late last summer and out of six of us on the hike, four were Pentax users. Then, early this winter I was hiking up in Rocky Mountain National Park in one of the less travelled areas of the park, hiked a couple of miles up to an area of Cascades. We hadn't seen another soul the entire way up, and then when we got there two other people were there shooting... Both with Pentaxes. So we are out there, but yeah there are many times where I go out all day and see Nikons and Canons and no Pentaxes. But I've seen enough that I'm pleasantly surprised.
01-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #475
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wffwii Quote
I was hiking up in Rocky Mountain National Park in one of the less travelled areas of the park
Well, I might not be that adventurous, but it does remind me that one of the reasons I stick with Pentax is that it's definitely the road less travelled. Although, I wouldn't throw a fit if we were more mainstream!
01-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #476
Forum Member

My husband has been shooting Pentax for maybe 40 years. He has been extremely satisfied. People he knows that use Nikon or Canon shoot comparable images. It's not the camera, its the photographer!! That said, he purchased his first DSLR (*ist DL) almost 5 years ago. He recently upgraded to a K10D. He asked me if I wanted his *ist or if he should sell it. So now, I have an *ist DL. I've never used anything except a point and shoot. So, I'm still learning. But, the *ist fits beautifully in my hand (small hands!). It takes incredible images and I really couldn't be happier! I don't see how paying more $$ for a different name brand would do any more for me.

I am surprised, tho, at the lack of support and accessories NOT available for Pentax. It's a quality made, name brand camera. I think we are being cheated a bit here in the market. But, I suppose that one likely answer is that markup is higher for Canon or Nikon. With their base price being higher, there is more $$ to be made. So I'm thinking that merchants are going where bigger $$ are. It's sad, really. They don't know the large market they could be tapping into if they just carried Pentax accessories.

Regardless, I'm extremely happy with Pentax. I will search to the ends of the earth for extra accessories or do without rather than switch. I like to go against the stream anyway!!!
01-26-2011, 06:52 AM   #477
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frostie Quote
My husband has been shooting Pentax for maybe 40 years. He has been extremely satisfied. People he knows that use Nikon or Canon shoot comparable images. It's not the camera, its the photographer!! That said, he purchased his first DSLR (*ist DL) almost 5 years ago. He recently upgraded to a K10D. He asked me if I wanted his *ist or if he should sell it. So now, I have an *ist DL. I've never used anything except a point and shoot. So, I'm still learning. But, the *ist fits beautifully in my hand (small hands!). It takes incredible images and I really couldn't be happier! I don't see how paying more $$ for a different name brand would do any more for me.

I am surprised, tho, at the lack of support and accessories NOT available for Pentax. It's a quality made, name brand camera. I think we are being cheated a bit here in the market. But, I suppose that one likely answer is that markup is higher for Canon or Nikon. With their base price being higher, there is more $$ to be made. So I'm thinking that merchants are going where bigger $$ are. It's sad, really. They don't know the large market they could be tapping into if they just carried Pentax accessories.

Regardless, I'm extremely happy with Pentax. I will search to the ends of the earth for extra accessories or do without rather than switch. I like to go against the stream anyway!!!

Welcome to the club

the lack of accessories really has to do with the size of the market in most cases. Canikon have much larger market share so all accessories will be available for those brands. for all other brands accessories are frequently limited it's not just a Pentax thing
01-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #478

I sometimes make presentations at camera clubs. The usual kick-off joke is to ask if the left side of the room is Canon, and if the right side is Nikon. That usually launches something akin to a food fight, but somewhere in the crowd is the one Olympus, one Sony, and the one other Pentax shooter. Often the one other Pentax user comes up at the break to share stories.

On the other hand, an old marketing joke is that that "insert name here" would market sushi as cold dead fish. It reminds me of the earlier days at HP. Stress excellent product engineering and build quality, and ignore marketing. Good for the few customers that found HP and bought its products, but better for IBM that did the opposite. Same methinks goes for Pentax.
01-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #479
Veteran Member

Pentax's Canadian marketing budget for the last 20+ years is reflected here (i'm dead serious I live in Canada's largest city and this is pretty much the only advertising I've seen besides one billboard that lasted about 56 weeks for the *ist ds

01-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #480

Living just on the US bank of the Niagara River, I visit Canada often. IMHO Pentax Canada does more marketing than Pentax USA. I attend an annual show and sale in Calgary, and Pentax is always well represented. There is one rep who attends, and is the most knowledgable Pentaxian I've ever run across - better than anyone I've found in the US.

Still if Pentax spends $1 on marketing in Canada, and 25 cents in the US, Nikon and Canon spend $100.