Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #256
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Or bail and go buy a Pana or Oly

It's defective logic of bad marketing department.

They wasted 5 years for really strange product which can't compete with any other brand...

It's not the problem of ordinary customer. To buy or not to buy...
It's rather prosaic thoughts...

Pentax Q is THE FACE OF PENTAX BRAND AS MIRRORLESS SYSTEM. It's really strange FACE.
I don't want to buy FF from another brand, EVIL from another brand...

Hoya is different from other companies...
Instead of FF - 645D
Instead of APS-C EVIL - unknown animal Pentax Q with 1/2.3"

The history of HOYA/PENTAX can end in dramatic way - the sales will drop drastically. I've already seen it before...

The logic of HOYA with Pentax Q steals away from me and my friends...

06-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #257
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
If Ford built a Lincoln like a Maybach and kept the price of a Lincoln I'd buy it
I'm not sure it's the correct analogy of my, admittedly, bad/incomplete post. What I was proposing is simply a pocket version of the Q with a touch screen and a 16-sumthing lens, which should be cheaper, which would be a Lincoln for Lincoln price.
06-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #258
Pentaxian

After just looking at the preview announcement on DP Review and the $800 price tag, it's not anything that I will be looking at initially. I also don't like having to spend additional $249 for a real viewfinder.
06-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #259
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well going alone is another problem. Just another mico-K-mount has no future either. So to me there are a few options that really could work.
  1. Join Panansonic/Olympus with the micro 4/3th using the same mount, just with a Sony sensor of high quality.
  2. Create a unique small evil camera as small as Pentax Auto 110 was in past with real small lenses and a small sensor.
  3. Make an entree level EVIL that in future wil make entry level DSLR like K-x obsolete. New micro-K-mount that with an adapter will take all current lenses but also new lenses. Give it APS-c sensor like K-x/K-r.
  4. Make a high-end EVIL wit a FullFrame sensor with the current K-mount so all lenses will fitt. No nonsens about thinner camera, since it is to use with big lenses. (maybe even Trans-Lucent).
  5. Leave this new market between P&S and DSLR to others and make no money out of it.

To me number 1 and 4 make the most sence.

Number 5, doing nothing in a time that entry leven DSLR will be going out of the market due to all the EVIL's is not smart, and in this same time P&S is losing ground to iPhone and all others smartphone's. In P&S the only real future is bridge camera and rough camera's like W90.
Well I did see this clearly on januari 24th in the other thread about small sensor.

It turned out to be number 2 and I like what I see. Just wait what the market will do with this nice little camera.

06-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #260
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well I did see this clearly on januari 24th in the other thread about small sensor.

It turned out to be number 2 and I like what I see. Just wait what the market will do with this nice little camera.
No any chances for Pentax Q at non-Japanese markets.
06-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #261
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wahid_satu Quote
I'm not sure it's the correct analogy of my, admittedly, bad/incomplete post. What I was proposing is simply a pocket version of the Q with a touch screen and a 16-sumthing lens, which should be cheaper, which would be a Lincoln for Lincoln price.
i would likely as well
for this kind of cam for me DOF is not the issue (as a matter of fact there are many times i would like longer DOF at wide fast apertures which this addresses
just too rich for what it is for me, by the time i added a couple of lenses i could pay for a K5 body which I also want
06-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #262
Veteran Member

Am I the only one who thinks it's cute?

I think the images would have to be really something for it to be of much interest, (And it looks like this model's possibly a bit short on controls for my taste,) but I noticed people don't seem to like the styling.

06-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #263
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's defective logic of bad marketing department.

They wasted 5 years for really strange product which can't compete with any other brand...

It's not the problem of ordinary customer. To buy or not to buy...
It's rather prosaic thoughts...

Pentax Q is THE FACE OF PENTAX BRAND AS MIRRORLESS SYSTEM. It's really strange FACE.
I don't want to buy FF from another brand, EVIL from another brand...

Hoya is different from other companies...
Instead of FF - 645D
Instead of APS-C EVIL - unknown animal Pentax Q with 1/2.3"

The history of HOYA/PENTAX can end in dramatic way - the sales will drop drastically. I've already seen it before...

The logic of HOYA with Pentax Q steals away from me and my friends...
Maybe it can't compete with any other brand, maybe it did start something different, whicht might or might not do well. We will have to see.

And I know you want FF becaus better IQ and DOF control. But well, they have the 645D, which has even a bigger sensor, meaning even better IQ and DOF control than a FF camera. You should be happy that there is something better than FF instead of just complain.
06-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #264
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This camera isn't for me, but I don't think it is as bad as some of the comments would lead me to believe. I do think the price will have to drop fairly quickly to 600 dollars are a little less, in order to compete in the market as it currently stands.
06-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #265
Veteran Member

I wouldn't mind getting one of these and just keeping the fisheye attached all the time. Fun for parties, pocketable...I could see many uses for this. I wouldn't look at it as replacing my DSLR at all.
06-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #266
Veteran Member

I think it looks great and can imagine having lots of fun with this little camera. However, the price is absurd given the economy and financial state of most folks who can no longer use their house like a giant credit card.

This product is aimed at folks who are willing to sacrifice image quality and versatility (e.g., DOF, manual controls) for portability, unique features (RAW, ILs), and hip factor. But often times, I forgo DSLR quality for portability *and* the ability to geotag, email, tweet, etc., pics from my phone on the fly. I even take phone pics alongside my K5 for this purpose.

So the likelihood that I'd purchase this (even @ $600) over the next-generation Android-iPhone is unlikely. I imagine most folks ready to move the item from their shopping cart will make the same decision. For the price, this is a short-lived gimmick rather than a future phenomenon at any price >$400. I suspect Pentax knows this and has priced the camera to recoup some portion, however small, of the investment they've made over the last <chuckle> 5 years </chuckle>.
06-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #267
Veteran Member

Ogl:

While I often enjoy your posts, the thrill is gone. At least on this thread.

You have the right to remain silent. It would be wise to exercise it for a while.

Last edited by glanglois; 06-23-2011 at 10:46 AM.
06-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #268
Veteran Member

What in the world is Pentax thinking?

Less zoom range in the zoom lens than the Canon G12, with the same aperture
Significantly smaller sensor than the G12
Only slightly smaller than the G12 (body-only), highly unlikely to be smaller with the zoom lens mounted, and the mounted lens will make it "unpocketable".
MSRP $300 more than the G12... And that's without the zoom lens.

It's very disappointing that Pentax wasted their R&D money on this, instead of focusing on filling in the gaps in their SLR lens lineup and K-5 bugfixing.
06-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #269
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
What in the world is Pentax thinking?

Less zoom range in the zoom lens than the Canon G12, with the same aperture
Significantly smaller sensor than the G12
Only slightly smaller than the G12 (body-only), highly unlikely to be smaller with the zoom lens mounted, and the mounted lens will make it "unpocketable".
MSRP $300 more than the G12... And that's without the zoom lens.

It's very disappointing that Pentax wasted their R&D money on this, instead of focusing on filling in the gaps in their SLR lens lineup and K-5 bugfixing.
But, I would think that a good percentage of people who use this will use it with primes. If primes are sharp enough, it could certainly hit a nice niche (these lenses will really be pocketable, much more than the DA limiteds -- have a couple in one pocket and camera in the other).
06-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #270
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But, I would think that a good percentage of people who use this will use it with primes. If primes are sharp enough, it could certainly hit a nice niche (these lenses will really be pocketable, much more than the DA limiteds -- have a couple in one pocket and camera in the other).
If I was going to use it myself it would be the kit 1.9 and the fisheye and maybe the toy 35 equivalent
anything else I'd revert to my dslrs, but with these lenses it could be a fun camera, but not at an $800 base price which is the biggest issue
$800 or so with these 3 lenses and it would be closer to where it should be (and if the kit drops to $600 that's where it will be)