Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2011, 05:13 AM   #451

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
Here we go, you can download it from here

PentaxQ001.pdf it's just over 3.5mb
Thanks NicoleAu. Some technical things i noticed:

- Confirmation of no AA filter (is this normal for compact cameras with high resolution sensors? does it matter? i dunno.)
- Manual exposure controls (aperture, shutter, ISO) in movie mode
- They're evaluating feasibility of K-mount adapter
- The description of "Bokeh Control" mode is interesting. Maybe it takes two images shifted along the sensor plane and calculates a relative depth map to build some blur masks? Probably wishful thinking. Though that'd be a neat post processing experiment.

Speculation: I also wonder if it's significant that Pentax is emphasizing 12.4Mp specifically? Could it be the IMX078CQK sensor that was announced earlier this year or something related? Possibly the first camera to use that sensor -- the first based on a 12.4Mp Sony BSI-CMOS sensor that I can find anyway.
ugh nevermind. the people at dpreview suck at data entry. at least the p300 seems to have a similar sensor based on their press release.

So we have BSI, no AA filter, DNG output, and presumably quality optics...
Certainly some questions for me in terms of IQ. Would be interesting to see output from DNG files.

Could be an alternative for ultralight travel, wilderness backpacking. A fast high quality 6mm lens and maybe a fast 20mm lens would be useful though. Could throw it in an Aquapac camera case and use it for kayak/canoe tripping, swimming, surfing, etc. Make a helmet mount and go mountain biking. A quality fisheye with 160 deg. FOV and image stabilisation can be very useful in situations like these. Too bad it doesn't seem to have 60fps video output.

Last edited by paene; 06-27-2011 at 09:22 AM.
06-27-2011, 05:21 AM   #452
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think Q37 is quite interesting:

Q: "Do you plan to introduce lens adapter to fit k-mount lens"
A: The Examination is underway. We have no fixed plan for it.

So we may well be able to recycle all the current glass on a Q.

They don't, as some may infer, rule out K-Mount Mirrorless at *all.
They state that they didn't use the existing K-Mount because it would require downsizing to work on the Q system - Which they also state in Q10 as being in development for 5 years (as previously remarked).

That means - K-Mount isn't used here because Q is specifically different. What it doesn't mean at all is that we'll never see K-Mount Mirrorless - Rather we will never See K-Mount in this form factor...

Q54, 55, 56
would seem to also not *at all* rule out a Mirrorless K-Mount.
06-27-2011, 05:22 AM   #453
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
This is good. John... Ned... talk to Japan. Tell them they need to make the Q weather resistant before the production versions hit the street. To date, not a single camera in the new mirror less, interchangeable lens segment offers WR. Adding it to the Q would instantly give the camera and system something beyond size novelty... and make it a player with the outdoor crowd. A weather-resistant Q would be an interesting proposition for backpackers and bikers who shoot a lot of landscapes and nature shots.
Understand the market drive is to get you to buy multiples. You will get a WR Q as v. 2.5, along with a couple of new lenses. It may even have a helmet cam attachment and an underwater housing.
06-27-2011, 05:25 AM   #454
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
I think Q37 is quite interesting:
Q: "Do you plan to introduce lens adapter to fit k-mount lens"
A: The Examination is underway. We have no fixed plan for it.
Deflection. The Q mount requires shutters in the lens. There is no in-body mechanical shutter.

06-27-2011, 05:32 AM   #455
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Am I the only one who is pretty sick of all this bashing and whining before a single picture is seen from this camera?

The solution is simple - if you like that sensor, then BUY that camera!
Q is obviously NOT for you. Bashing it in 100 more posts won't make it any different.
And there is no need for any brand tie up or brand loyalty in choosing a mirrorless systems. Just choose whatever suits YOU most!

Well Put worth a rep

Once we see reviews and have real sample images commentary on image quality makes sense. And it's blatantly obvious this is not aimed at the enthusiast crowd. Most of us will not buy this for various reasons. hence the pending apsc mirror-less that is supposedly in the pipeline. I am actually intrigued by this camera and it may well find a home with me (the world doesn't revolve around razor thin DOF) If Image quality is decent and low light performance is good as well then i can see some uses for this camera. It looks like a fun little machine. You guys remember photography being FUN don't you
06-27-2011, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #456
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
it's not for me...it's not for you...it's not for anybody...
everybody will forget about Pentax Q close to winter...
Why don't you just stop commenting. you haven't added anything to the debate, you haven't seen an image from a production sample, and the camera was obviously not targeted at you. unless you a a market research expert with the data at hand on the whole camera market not just your tiny part of it you are concerned with you are not qualified to make useless blanket statements like this. there is a whole world out there beyond the forum ogl. I've shown this to a number of friends photographers and general public alike. almost universally they expressed interest in it. even a few of the pro photographers i know thought it could be a fun camera to own.
there are times i find this forum really disheartening, and every time a new camera of any sort is released and people spend their time bashing it is the most frequent.
I for one admire HOYA/Pentax for putting something out there that is different and opens a potentially new market. It may well turn out not to be a camera i (or many here) have use for, but I would be very surprised if they don't sell some pretty serious numbers in the asian market, and if the street price does indeed drop i bet they sell a few in North America as well
06-27-2011, 05:56 AM   #457
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
Here we go, you can download it from here

PentaxQ001.pdf it's just over 3.5mb
It feals like being an industrial spy reading the forbidden words. Great job on that and credits for this job!

06-27-2011, 05:58 AM   #458
Banned

Do you think that with the coming of Q the PEF files are going to the Pentax museum? I only use DNG myself.
06-27-2011, 06:05 AM   #459
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I see very serious problems with Pentax Q.

First of all, no any sense in interchangeable lenses at 1/2.3" sensor. Useless.
Lenses are slow and sensor is tiny. Zoom is rather mediocre.
There is no problem with Q camera, it's a very good experimental, car key size toy camera with retro look with toy lenses on, just overpriced a bit but it will come down..
06-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #460
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Deflection. The Q mount requires shutters in the lens. There is no in-body mechanical shutter.
The toy lenses don't have shutters - they use the electronic shutter which is available in the Q camera.
06-27-2011, 06:22 AM   #461
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
never mind that using even the smallest of the K mount lenses on this camera defeats the purpose

I'm somewhat interested in the camera, but could care less if I could use the k lenses on it (just like i have no desire to adapt my medium format lenses to K, or my m39 lenses to fit the q.
every system design has its function and purpose for me
i sure like the idea of small and light though
06-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #462

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
The richness and legitimacy of an online forum is compromised if people can't give their true opinions on a product for fear that it will harm their vendor of choice.

Lying about things to boost a product is incredibly unseemly and doesn't jive with the spirit of this forum.

We're not paid by Pentax, we buy their products, happily so, and we only ask in return that they keep our 'investment' at least viable.

All true...when that opinion is justified. The Q hasn't even been released yet! Why not give it a chance, and then if it actually falls short, you'd be justified in your opinions. As of now it's just bashing by people who think their opinion of the relatively unknown future really matters.

Falling in line with most others here, let me jump ahead of the schedule:

Whatever comes after the K-R is stupid and the worst DSLR ever made (mostly because it's not full frame), Pentax is run by morons, Hoya is evil, and true pros only use Canon and Nikon. We should just shut the forums down now.

Oh, and don't look up because the sky is falling (all because of that @#$% Pentax Q...!).

Last edited by Internetpilot; 06-27-2011 at 07:14 AM.
06-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #463
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I just don't know why we should knock a camera just because it isn't full frame.

Anyway, anything that brings more folks into Pentax, whether its freaky colors, better point and shoots, etc is a good thing in my book, because it increases the possibility of more upper end gear.
06-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #464
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paene Quote
Thanks NicoleAu. Some technical things i noticed:

- Confirmation of no AA filter (is this normal for compact cameras with high resolution sensors? does it matter? i dunno.)
- Manual exposure controls (aperture, shutter, ISO) in movie mode
- They're evaluating feasibility of K-mount adapter
- The description of "Bokeh Control" mode is interesting. Maybe it takes two images shifted along the sensor plane and calculates a relative depth map to build some blur masks? Probably wishful thinking. Though that'd be a neat post processing experiment.

Speculation: I also wonder if it's significant that Pentax is emphasizing 12.4Mp specifically? Could it be the IMX078CQK sensor that was announced earlier this year or something related? Possibly the first camera to use that sensor -- the first based on a 12.4Mp Sony BSI-CMOS sensor that I can find anyway.
ugh nevermind. the people at dpreview suck at data entry. at least the p300 seems to have a similar sensor based on their press release.

So we have BSI, no AA filter, DNG output, and presumably quality optics...
Certainly some questions for me in terms of IQ. Would be interesting to see output from DNG files.

Could be an alternative for ultralight travel, wilderness backpacking. A fast high quality 6mm lens and maybe a fast 20mm lens would be useful though. Could throw it in an Aquapac camera case and use it for kayak/canoe tripping, swimming, surfing, etc. Make a helmet mount and go mountain biking. A quality fisheye with 160 deg. FOV and image stabilisation can be very useful in situations like these. Too bad it doesn't seem to have 60fps video output.
Nice one. Now i want to have one.
06-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #465
Veteran Member

the more i look at this camera the more i think if Pentax doesn't do some dedicated marketing with booths at the big Gay Pride events they are missing the boat. it's like a tiny perfect piece of jewelry in many ways, it's called the queen for cripes sake. And the most enthusiastic responses I had from friends I showed it to all fall in this target market (which is a huge market with a ton of disposable income BTW)
I know it's stating the obvious but most companies are truly crap at this kind of target marketing
It may not sell well to Middle America, but the right targeted marketing in San Fran, New York, Toronto and Vancouver could reap benefits beyond the investment (add London, Paris, Milan, Barcelona, Berlin for Europe)
get it in the Fashion magazines etc