Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #736
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
That said, noise is the only aspect of IQ where I would compare them. Dynamic range, pixel sharpness, and DOF control are all in favor of the K10D. But then again, a K10D is a big freakin camera; that's why I sold it and the D200 after I got an E-P1. I simply stopped using them because they were such a pain to carry around. For some users I'm sure the Q will do what the E-P1 did for me.
I still have my K10D and I disagree with you. At ISO100, the K10D has fantastic image quality - anything above ISO100 the Q wins.

And I still think you are confusing DOF with bokeh - from what I can see of the sample images, the bokeh on the lens is quite good (better than the FA43). The DOF equivalency of the lens is pretty high - from the images I think it's roughly equivalent to f8 on the FA43, maybe a little less but not much less. Definitely not the f11 some were claiming

f8 is very usable - I shoot a lot of pictures at f8 on my FA43.

The K10D still wins by having both front and rear dials (the Q is like the lower end cameras by only having rear dial).

However, in other respects, the Q wins over the K10D. It's small enough for me to mount on my bicycle or carry in a handbag.

And I'm guessing (from the sample pictures) the AF on the Q is a LOT better than the K10D (but that's not hard to achieve!). Also wins in continuous fps.

07-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #737
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I still have my K10D and I disagree with you. At ISO100, the K10D has fantastic image quality - anything above ISO100 the Q wins.

And I still think you are confusing DOF with bokeh
Actually we are in agreement on the K10D, that sensor was quite bad of a large sensor. That's why I said the Q appears to have better noise control then the K10D did. The Q's noise is at least manageable, if not outright less noisy all together. The noise patterns the K10D produced were a nightmare to work with.

And no, I said the K10D wins in DOF control because the Q has virtually no DOF control. I made no mention of bokeh...I only meant the ability to isolate a subject; something all large sensor cameras can do and the Q can't.
07-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #738
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given the attitude of some of the posters in this thread, maybe we should wait patiently with "open breath" and "baited minds"
This goes both ways, so lets not build it up to a miniaturized K-r in magnesium alloy that can whip the pig snot out of a k10d before it even hits the market. The last thing I want is a high dollar Porsche that looks like $1million dollars but when you pop the hood, there is a lawn mower engine up in there.
07-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #739
Veteran Member

I doubt that Pentax would be doing any different from Sony - in fact, I would speculate they are using exactly the same algorithm, which they probably purchased from Sony as part of a package deal with the sensor.

Pentax probably bought a "kit" from Sony which includes the sensor, the processor (that's why the Q is not using the PRIME engine), the OS and a library of in-camera effects. Pentax then built a shell around the kit, and added the lens system.
I'm a little late to come back to this thread, but this bit wouldn't surprise me at all. Let's see what Nikon comes up with, it may prove the model you're suggesting.

07-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #740
Veteran Member

PENTAX K-1 & Q | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Is it just me or is the K-1 prototype a lot smaller than I thought it would be? It looks almost the same width as the Q... and that was being developed back in 2000 or so?
07-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #741
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax Q Digital Camera with 8.5mm Lens (White),NIB JPN | eBay

Already available to select people?
07-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #742
Veteran Member

These high iso images from the Q are better than my K200D... (no kidding, i hesitate to write "far better)
I don't care of bokeh, i have my K-5 for bokeh.
That little camera looks really fun to use, with a good image quality.
I'm pretty sure than even if the Q shares a lot of specifications with some P&S, lenses gonna make the difference.
But it's still too expensive for the moment, if the price lower to 500€, it could be my nexy favorite toy.
Still waiting for final firmware & a serious test.

07-18-2011, 05:21 PM - 7 Likes   #743
Veteran Member

<facepalm>

QuoteQuote:
And I still think you are confusing DOF with bokeh - from what I can see of the sample images, the bokeh on the lens is quite good (better than the FA43).
<facepalm> <pound side of head with fist slowly>

QuoteQuote:
The DOF equivalency of the lens is pretty high - from the images I think it's roughly equivalent to f8 on the FA43, maybe a little less but not much less. Definitely not the f11 some were claiming
<facepalm> <pound side of head with fist slowly> <rock back in forth in chair repeatedly>

QuoteQuote:
And I'm guessing (from the sample pictures) the AF on the Q is a LOT better than the K10D
<giving up, going to watch Gilligan's Island reruns. The professor is making a coconut radio!>

07-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #744
ogl
Banned

And I'm guessing (from the sample pictures) the AF on the Q is a LOT better than the K10D (but that's not hard to achieve!). Also wins in continuous fps.
I don't understand why you have so many lenses and use DSLR...
07-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #745

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
<facepalm>

<facepalm> <pound side of head with fist slowly> <rock back in forth in chair repeatedly>

<giving up, going to watch Gilligan's Island reruns. The professor is making a coconut radio!>

i often find these forums a strange and mysterious place -- in a good way of course -- full of wildly colourful and interesting people giving voice to absolutely the most original of thots.

Here, both my hands are plainly visible, i'm making no sudden moves whatsoever, just backing away very very slowly, doing nothing surprising.

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
If you could be more attentive, you can see that Christine Tham compares Pentax Q with Pentax K10D...
i'm sorry: what?
07-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #746
ogl
Banned

anything above ISO100 the Q wins.

DOF equivalency of the lens is pretty high - from the images I think it's roughly equivalent to f8 on the FA43, maybe a little less but not much less. Definitely not the f11 some were claiming

However, in other respects, the Q wins over the K10D. It's small enough for me to mount on my bicycle or carry in a handbag.

I hope that it's good joke and you don't consider us an imbeciles.
07-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #747
ogl
Banned

<facepalm>

Bravo!
07-18-2011, 10:50 PM   #748
Banned

Photos: Albums
<facepalm>

I went back a few pages, but I still don't get how it came to this.
07-19-2011, 12:42 AM   #749
Veteran Member

People are taking this all too seriously.
07-19-2011, 01:15 AM   #750
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
No, read the middle of the page:

"This is PRE-ORDER item.

It selling start next month in Japan.
"