Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2011, 02:43 AM   #916
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 158
Was looking around at cams with a similar same-generation sensor and came across the Canon ELPH 100 HS. Seems to have almost the same specs, 400X3000 image size, 1/2.3" BSI CMOS sensor. Have always liked the lens on this cam and its predecessor the SD1300IS, seen pretty sharp images from it. People seem to think the 100HS's got good high ISO performance.

Unfortch CHDK doesn't run on it and i won't be able to use it in semi-manual modes or save RAW files, so unlikely i'll go for it. C'mon CHDK dev guys, cheap, basic cams with good sensors and reasonably sharp lenses are useful! Stop looking at big-zoom cams that're blurry all over.

But the sensor performance seems good which keeps me hopeful for the Q.


Last edited by conradj; 08-01-2011 at 02:57 AM.
08-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #917
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
Target market? See here and here
I thought those product shots all looked really nice, so I took a look at the EXIF data; they were taken with a Sony A-900! Doh! I personally think an $800 camera should be capable of taking it's own product shots, but why didn't they at least take them with a K-5?


Edit: I now see that some were taken with a Nikon D7000. Even worse :-S

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 08-01-2011 at 07:49 AM.
08-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #918
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,236
They never are IMO. Never taken with the advertised camera.
08-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #919
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
They never are IMO. Never taken with the advertised camera.
Olympus made a commercial shot with the E-PL1. But yes, I don't expect cheapo P&S's or hotshoe-less cameras to be used to shoot their own product shots; however when you get up into this price range I think a company should consider using the camera it's promoting....or simply remove the EXIF data like most companies do

This of course is assuming those are official product shots. I don't speak Chinese and the google translation isn't very good, so I just assumed they were based on the red Pentax Q label slapped atop them.

08-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #920
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
QuoteOriginally posted by conradj Quote

But the sensor performance seems good which keeps me hopeful for the Q.
Based on my experience with the Sony HX7V, sensor performance on the Q should be just fine. The limitation on the HX7V is the lens - something the Q will hopefully address.

Something else to look for is the upcoming Nikon mirrorless. If it's roughly the same size as the Q (ie. smaller than micro 4/3 bodies and lenses) it could be very attractive.

I also had a chance to play with the NEX C3 on the weekend. The two big drawbacks are: lens sizes and confusing/dumbed down user interface. I don't understand why the specs on the camera are worse off than the HX7V (slower fps, only 720p movie mode, less advanced shooting modes). And *less* controls than the HX7V. I took a few sample shots on it, and I'm NOT immediately seeing an increase in image quality, despite the camera having an APS-C sensor.

PS - finally had a chance to look at your Flickr photostream. Some great photos there - congratulations!

Last edited by Christine Tham; 08-01-2011 at 01:50 PM.
08-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #921
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I took a few sample shots on it, and I'm NOT immediately seeing an increase in image quality, despite the camera having an APS-C sensor.
Wow, really? The NEX-C3 looks to be an upgrade from the NEX-3 based on everything I'v seen, and I snapped this pic of a buddy in a dim restaurant at ISO800 with a NEX-3, which turned out pretty clean to my eyes. On the other hand, the ISO800 pics taken in this review with an HX7V look like they have so much noise reduction applied the results are a quite blurry. They look very good for a compact camera mind you, but in the same class as C3? That is a very bold statement indeed.

The Sony lens's are awful, I will agree with that (I just always used adapted manual focus primes when I had my NEX-3). As far as manual controls go; I haven't used a C3 yet, but I assume it has programmable buttons the same as the NEX-3, I never had any issues using it in manual modes after I programmed them the way I wanted them. Of course I use aperture priority mode the vast majority of the time; that mode doesn't exactly require a ton of external controls.
08-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #922
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Wow, really? The NEX-C3 looks to be an upgrade from the NEX-3 based on everything I'v seen, .
<edit> never mind. <edit>

Last edited by jsherman999; 08-01-2011 at 09:03 PM.
08-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #923
Veteran Member
fikkser's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Borlänge, Sweden
Posts: 373
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
On the other hand, the ISO800 pics taken in this review with an HX7V look like they have so much noise reduction applied the results are a quite blurry. They look very good for a compact camera mind you, but in the same class as C3? That is a very bold statement indeed.
Looks like it beats my panasonic LX3 atleast. And it's supposed to be "good".

08-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #924
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 158
QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
Looks like it beats my panasonic LX3 atleast. And it's supposed to be "good".
i've quite liked the B&W shots i've seen come out of that cam, seemed better than from my cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I also had a chance to play with the NEX C3 on the weekend. The two big drawbacks are: lens sizes and confusing/dumbed down user interface. I don't understand why the specs on the camera are worse off than the HX7V (slower fps, only 720p movie mode, less advanced shooting modes). And *less* controls than the HX7V. I took a few sample shots on it, and I'm NOT immediately seeing an increase in image quality, despite the camera having an APS-C sensor.
o that's too bad abt the IQ. i've gone to the store and mauled a couple of those Nex's and agree with you; i've always liked them a lot less at the point where i start messing with the interface.

i guess if i were to get one of those i'd mount my existing lenses on it using an adapter, and then all my lenses would handle no better than screw mount Takumars on my K-7.

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
PS - finally had a chance to look at your Flickr photostream. Some great photos there - congratulations!
Why thank you! That's awfully kind. Most of the new night shots were made around ISO800, a complete mess with the K-7 sensor, worse than grainy high speed film.
08-04-2011, 04:12 AM   #925
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 1,535
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
.

Something else to look for is the upcoming Nikon mirrorless. If it's roughly the same size as the Q (ie. smaller than micro 4/3 bodies and lenses) it could be very attractive.
I'm seriously considering the Q as the concept (deep DOF, high "crop" factor, high end body build quality) fits for some of my primary interests in photography. µ4/3 and APS-C MILC has left me underwhelmed with few and not very significant advantages and quite a few major disadvantages for my use.

I saw the rumors concerning the Nikon mirrorless, and thinking about it, assumed that it probably might be supported better and sooner by lenses I want (a dedicated 1:1 macro, and a long and fast (100mm f2.8-4 range) telephoto -- ideally both in one. . .).

After some further consideration of probable features, I've since pretty much mentally backed off from the rumored Nikon since they will most likely use OIS with the corresponding extra cost per lens since their DSLR lines are so invested conceptually in OIS.

I'm betting that if the rumors are true, Nikon will either announce or leak soon after the official release of the Q in an attempt to suck some of the attention and anticipation their way, so I'm guessing we'll probably know pretty soon. . .

Scott
08-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #926
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I saw the rumors concerning the Nikon mirrorless, and thinking about it, assumed that it probably might be supported better and sooner by lenses I want (a dedicated 1:1 macro, and a long and fast (100mm f2.8-4 range) telephoto -- ideally both in one. . .).

After some further consideration of probable features, I've since pretty much mentally backed off from the rumored Nikon since they will most likely use OIS with the corresponding extra cost per lens since their DSLR lines are so invested conceptually in OIS.

I'm betting that if the rumors are true, Nikon will either announce or leak soon after the official release of the Q in an attempt to suck some of the attention and anticipation their way, so I'm guessing we'll probably know pretty soon. . .

Scott
The rumour mill says Nikon will announce on 24 August, and the Q will be released on 31 August.

That will allow both of us to assess the merit of the Nikon prior to purchasing the Q.

Early indications are bigger sensor, but the lenses are underwhelming (two zooms and 1 wide angle - not interested in them at all)

I'm hoping against hope that Nikon will use the same mount system, which will then allow the consumer to choose between bodies and lenses.
08-05-2011, 07:14 AM   #927
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
Got chance to hold and play the Q for a while last night, I have to say those are some really nice stuff. They are very well made, feels pretty nice in hands, small enough to put in pocket (w/ the 8.5mm prime lens). Now I'm seriously considering to replace my GF1 w/ one of these:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #928
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,770
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Got chance to hold and play the Q for a while last night
Cool.

Give me the black one, you can keep the white one.
08-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #929
Veteran Member
Andi Lo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,925
K-5 have way too much DOF for the Q product shots perhaps the K-1 has the A900 sensor inside and the EXIF indicates it as such?
08-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #930
Veteran Member
Laurentiu Cristofor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,044
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Looks like one beer can unlock one's composition abilities.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, mirrorless, pentax, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q10, q7
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spotmatic motordrive...in the flesh! pickles Pentax Film SLR Discussion 8 08-09-2010 01:00 PM
Of Flesh and Clay dantuyhoa Post Your Photos! 9 11-11-2008 11:57 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:51 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top