Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 07:09 AM   #1081
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
This is a deal breaker for a 800$ camera. I would have hoped that a last the buffer and processing speed would be comparable to say a K-x or even a K-m. Otherwise it's just an expensive toy.
i also expected better performance than this. But i try not to jump to conclusions too soon. May be lens correction etc was on. So would try it again (on this saturday) and this time would try to make sure that there is nothing other than writing time. A way to do it is set the camera to jpg and then then both jpg and dng both. If there were other factors camera would be slow even with jpg only.

09-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #1082
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
i also expected better performance than this. But i try not to jump to conclusions too soon. May be lens correction etc was on. So would try it again (on this saturday) and this time would try to make sure that there is nothing other than writing time. A way to do it is set the camera to jpg and then then both jpg and dng both. If there were other factors camera would be slow even with jpg only.
If you can, note what speed SD card is inserted as well. I look forward to your report on the K-Q adapter...you should be able to get a fairly good idea how a K lens performs just by looking at the review image.
09-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #1083
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
If you can, note what speed SD card is inserted as well. I look forward to your report on the K-Q adapter...you should be able to get a fairly good idea how a K lens performs just by looking at the review image.
Do you have any lens in mind that you might use if you had k-q adapter. If I have same or similar lens then i will carry that with me.

PS: Just for kicks I will carry 10-17 fisheye, that would really crack them up
09-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #1084
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

09-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #1085
Veteran Member

Do you have any lens in mind that you might use if you had k-q adapter. If I have same or similar lens then i will carry that with me.

PS: Just for kicks I will carry 10-17 fisheye, that would really crack them up
I don't know really, any prime lens in between 24 and 135mm would be fine....a longer (100ish) macro if you've got one. A regular 50mm would be a good test as well, like an M series f/2.

10-17 is funny, but might not be so bad, in the centre it is very sharp.
09-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #1086
Veteran Member

Dozens of Pentax Q images, including RAW's for download, at all ISO's:

Pentax Q Photos | PhotographyBLOG

First impression: not bad.
09-02-2011, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #1087
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Dozens of Pentax Q images, including RAW's for download, at all ISO's:

Pentax Q Photos | PhotographyBLOG

First impression: not bad.
Yes. Not bad for P&S camera for USD400 at ISO125.

ISO250 and above have rather high level of NR.

But...the colours...so strange colours on photos...Rather pale. And unnatural.

09-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #1088
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Yes. Not bad for P&S camera for USD400 at ISO125.
That's your opinion, you are 1 out of 5billion of us. So your opinion has almost zero value.

As far as this forum is concerned , if you were intelligent you would have understood how little or no value your opinion has in eyes of other readers.

Keep on trolling.
09-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #1089
Veteran Member

speed

Hands on: Pentax Q review | News | TechRadar UK

"Speed

One area that we want to look at more closely during our full test of the Q is its speed. We'll experiment with different memory cards and shooting settings before we can say for certain, but we experienced 6 second delays between shots when shooting raw and JPEG files simultaneously with a basic SD card inserted.

Switching to a faster (30Mb/S) card pushed the write time closer to 3 sec, which is better, but still a little frustrating. Shooting raw or JPEG files separately, proved a much more satisfying experience."
09-02-2011, 02:19 AM   #1090
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting the link to the review - interesting reading.

Image quality based on the DXO Analyser graphs is interesting - the Q is stacking up well against its competitors. Dynamic range in particular is impressive - almost on par with the APS-C sensor in the C3 (same sensor as the K-5).

Do let us know what the lag type 2 time is for Raw only and JPEG only if you get a chance to re-try the Q tomorrow. The long lag time for Raw+JPEG is disappointing, but I never shoot in that mode, so meh for me.
09-02-2011, 02:25 AM   #1091
ogl
Banned

That's your opinion, you are 1 out of 5billion of us. So your opinion has almost zero value.
You too...
09-02-2011, 02:34 AM   #1092
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
You too...
Yepp true but then my opinion has at least equal value as yours and I do not agree with you.

So we are at 0 conclusions at the moment.

If there is one more opinion that disagrees with you, you will be in minority.
09-02-2011, 02:35 AM   #1093
Veteran Member

Shooting RAW + JPEG with a 12 MB sensor is moving a lot of data and using a lot of CPU, so some lag is not surprising.

Some of those metrics are quite promising, especially dynamic range.
09-02-2011, 02:36 AM   #1094
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Thanks for posting the link to the review - interesting reading.

Image quality based on the DXO Analyser graphs is interesting - the Q is stacking up well against its competitors. Dynamic range in particular is impressive - almost on par with the APS-C sensor in the C3 (same sensor as the K-5).

Do let us know what the lag type 2 time is for Raw only and JPEG only if you get a chance to re-try the Q tomorrow. The long lag time for Raw+JPEG is disappointing, but I never shoot in that mode, so meh for me.
The DR is not surprise though.

Here in his post Gordon explains.
http://forums .dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1028&message=39199408

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonBGood:

I agree that the Olympus micro four thirds (m43) sensor with their about eight times the sensor area will gather more light, although at the cost of larger lenses and camera bodies. This ratio of sensor are should produce about 2.8 stops better high ISO = low light performance if all other things were proportional. Actually, as the Q sensor uses new Back Side Illumination (BSI) technology, the effective light gathering ratio is reduced by about 20%.

However, not all things are proportional: the Oly m43 sensors have typically had quite high black read noise which increases the noise in the deep shadows where we notice it the most whereas the new Q uses the new Sony sensor technology which is noted to reduce black read noise by perhaps a stop or two below that of the current Oly m43's technology. This would have the effect of making images from the Q usable at higher ISO's than expected. I don't say that they will be equal, but it is likely that images at ISO 400 to 800 from the Q will be comparable in image quality to those at ISO 800 to 1600 from the Oly m32 cameras, although in different ways as the bright tones will be better from the Oly's but the deep shadow noise better from the Q.

I agree that the price of the Q need to drop by about 25% from initial MSRP's in order to achieve a reasonable market, but that would seem to be Pentax's pricing strategy: start about this ratio high and then drop as required - n6te the price tendencies of the recent Pentax K-r and K-5.

Regards, GordonBGood
09-02-2011, 02:41 AM   #1095
Veteran Member

Well, it's now beyond reasonable doubt that the Q's sensor has better performance than the K10D - something I mentioned as a possibility early on in the thread which generated some mirth amongst the naysayers in this forum. Strangely enough, these naysayers have gone quiet recently now that we are starting to see sample images from the camera that are surprisingly better than expectations.