Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 110 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #1216
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can fit my GF2 with 17/2.8 (or 14/2.4, or 20/1.7) in most of my shirt pockets. However, it is a bit more heavy than I would want in order to carry it there very long so a jacket pocket would be better.

09-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #1217
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They don't qualify because their cameras are too big.
Well, the LX3, LX5 and Leica versions aren't very big and have a 1/1.63" sensor.
09-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #1218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Well, the LX3, LX5 and Leica versions aren't very big and have a 1/1.63" sensor.
We are getting nowhere here. These cameras while fine cannot interchange lenses so you have the problem for example that the LX3 is a very short zoom (24-60mm). My EX1 is excellent but it's only 24-72mm. The Q could swap lens to a 12-24mm or a 100-300mm. I'm not going to explain further to you the advantages of IL cameras All these excellent "advanced compacts" use about the same zoom range so too bad if you want an ultrawide, a fisheye, a macro or a tele.

That said, none of these cameras are truly pocketable like a S95 can be.
09-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #1219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
We are getting nowhere here. These cameras while fine cannot interchange lenses so you have the problem for example that the LX3 is a very short zoom (24-60mm). My EX1 is excellent but it's only 24-72mm. The Q could swap lens to a 12-24mm or a 100-300mm. I'm not going to explain further to you the advantages of IL cameras All these excellent "advanced compacts" use about the same zoom range so too bad if you want an ultrawide, a fisheye, a macro or a tele.

Q has a fullframe 12-24mm equivalent? I dont think it even has APS-C 12-24mm equivalent. Q cannot shoot wider than the LX 3 unless the fisheye is used

The Pentax DA 12-24 mounted on Q is a standard - tele zoom (fullframe 60-120mm equivalent). Q is probably good for shooting long but for shooting wide non-fisheye, LX3 is superior (and is actually cheaper than a DA 12-24)

09-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #1220
Pentaxian

By the way, it would be interesting to calculate the angle of the Q fish-eye after putting straight it perspectves... so as to evaluate the resulting focal equivalent.
09-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #1221
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Q has a fullframe 12-24mm equivalent? I dont think it even has APS-C 12-24mm equivalent. Q cannot shoot wider than the LX 3 unless the fisheye is used
Well Q has 160deg fisheye at the moment. And good thing about IL system is that camera maker can launch 12-24mm for Q.

Unless you believe that there will no more lenses for Q in future.
09-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #1222

Some people pretend that the Q mount could accept a bigger sensor, but what about the lenses? They would have their FOV changed, not desirable so I'm very skeptical that Pentax would use a bigger sensor in the future.
I would be astonished if they didn't. They must hope the Q-mount will last as long as the K-mount, and will still be in use in 30 years. As such, not allowing for variation in sensor size would be very short-sighted. Especially as they don't make the sensors themselves.

That field of view changes is already the case when you move a K-mount lens between full-frame and APS-C. It will also happen when you use the K-Q adapter. It's not the end of the world. Especially not for the kind of people who care about the improved image quality a larger sensor would bring.

They'd need more lenses, of course. I wouldn't expect a larger sensor Q-mount body for 2+ years, so they have plenty of time to introduce them.

09-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #1223
Veteran Member

I'm waiting for the first Chinese company to make a c mount adapter for the Q mount. Flange depth is 17.5mm versus Q's 9.2mm. This makes much more sense than using the c mount lenses on m4/3 cameras as some are doing now. This would open up a whole new source of cheap lenses for the Q.
09-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #1224
Site Supporter

That wasn't the point. He said they were too big. They are not. The GF2 and GF3 then. Well the Q isn't as pocketable as the s95 either. If I wanted to use a true ultra wide, I would want a 15mm or 18mm on full frame. Lets face it an 8.5mm on a Q (1/2.3") isn't exactly an ultrawide field of view at the equivalent 47mm fov.
09-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #1225
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brangdon Quote
I would be astonished if they didn't. They must hope the Q-mount will last as long as the K-mount, and will still be in use in 30 years. As such, not allowing for variation in sensor size would be very short-sighted. Especially as they don't make the sensors themselves.

That field of view changes is already the case when you move a K-mount lens between full-frame and APS-C. It will also happen when you use the K-Q adapter. It's not the end of the world. Especially not for the kind of people who care about the improved image quality a larger sensor would bring.

They'd need more lenses, of course. I wouldn't expect a larger sensor Q-mount body for 2+ years, so they have plenty of time to introduce them.
Very true! the 8.5 has a fov equivalent to 47mm on full frame. To get an ultra wide angle field of view, Pentax will need to come up with a 2mm and 4mm lens, OR bigger sensor.
09-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #1226
Veteran Member

Hello, Pentax 4.2mm lens!

This would be like a 23mm equivalent. But what I've really got my eye on is this:

Pentax 8-48mm F/1.0-1.2 C mount lens
09-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #1227
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Hello, Pentax 4.2mm lens!

This would be like a 23mm equivalent. But what I've really got my eye on is this:

Pentax 8-48mm F/1.0-1.2 C mount lens
Are cctv lenses ideal for photography? I would assume they're nowhere as sharp / pleasing

QuoteQuote:
Well Q has 160deg fisheye at the moment. And good thing about IL system is that camera maker can launch 12-24mm for Q.

Unless you believe that there will no more lenses for Q in future.
Looking at the size of Q's standard zoom lens I have my doubts the wide zoom will be much smaller than the new zoom pancake from Panasonic (28mm equivalent). That lens look like a marvel of engineering equivalent to DA 40. Look at Jogiba's post. The first and third picture are lenses with equivalent FoV!
09-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #1228
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Q has a fullframe 12-24mm equivalent?
I said "could". I was talking about potential future lenses not what's available now.

Are cctv lenses ideal for photography? I would assume they're nowhere as sharp / pleasing
Maybe not but the Q can do 1080p video and these lenses could be extremely useful in that context.
09-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #1229
Site Supporter

I said "could". I was talking about potential future lenses not what's available now.

Maybe not but the Q can do 1080p video and these lenses could be extremely useful in that context.
I am the most curious about the 1080p capabilities of the Q than any other single aspect.
09-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #1230
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I am the most curious about the 1080p capabilities of the Q than any other single aspect.
Yep.