Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2011, 03:42 AM   #1276
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,967
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
nope... if you will check deals websites like you shall see deals directly from Dell or HP that you never ever find directly from Apple :


Dell Inspiron 15r Laptop: i7 2630QM 2.0 GHz Quad Core CPU, 6GB DDR3, 640GB HDD, GeForce GT 525M, 15.6 LED LCD (1366x768), WiFi N, DVDRW, 6 Cell Battery, Win 7 Prem $637 + Free shipping

or

HP Pavilion dv6tqe Quad Core Laptop: Intel i7 2630QM 2.0GHz, 6GB DDR3, 640GB HDD, 15.6" LED Matte Display (1920x1080), Blu-ray ROM + DVD-RW, 1GB Radeon 6770M, WiFi N, 6-Cell Battery, Win 7 Prem 64-bit $927 + Free shipping



granted they are not as shiny outside
No link with the Q ? huh !

09-11-2011, 05:22 AM   #1277
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
No link with the Q ? huh !
You're right, this is getting us nowhere as people insist to compare apples and oranges. Literally And in bold letters...

The link with the Q was profit margins in the consumer electronics industry which is a known figure for Apple and Canon dSLRs and we debated if the figures are applicable to other vendors too. But I'm not discussing it anymore here.
09-11-2011, 05:55 AM   #1278
Veteran Member
ManuH's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,209
Margin on the hardware Q is of course very high. There's nothing it that makes it so expensive. But if I'm not wrong companies will try to recoup R&D with early adopters, especially if they have an unique product. Or their capacity production is too low to meet the initial demand. Either way, Pentax probably know what they are doing with Q pricing. And as always better to start high so you have a lot of margin to adjust the price later...
09-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #1279
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,967
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The link with the Q was profit margins in the consumer electronics industry which is a known figure for Apple and Canon dSLRs and we debated if the figures are applicable to other vendors too. But I'm not discussing it anymore here.
you're right, i forgot that part

The Q is priced high, but when you compare with some Nex or 4/3, it is in the same price range, or almost.

Soon, price will go down a bit and the Q will be a great competitor

09-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #1280
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
Not to mention, I'm sure it'll end up like the k-5. Pentax pricing it at $1500, everywhere else pricing it at $1100.
09-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #1281
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,967
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Pentax pricing it at $1500, everywhere else pricing it at $1100.
and in europe it's even price lower
09-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #1282
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Not to mention, I'm sure it'll end up like the k-5. Pentax pricing it at $1500, everywhere else pricing it at $1100.
When has new K-5 been selling for $1100 in the U.S.? The just hit $1199 at BH and Adorama after a $100 reduction by Pentax plus a $300 rebate.
09-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #1283
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kobe/japan
Posts: 510
Unfortunately for me, I won't be able to buy Q. At least not in current incarnation.

AF in video is deal breaker at the moment. Because the person (my wife) for which this camera is meant to be, would not use it if it does not AF in video. She shoots everything in auto mode and I can not see her fiddling with cam to focus in video.
I hope they fix this in firmware. But it might again come too late.

Now the remaining option for me is NEX, which I do not want to get for two main reasons:
  1. I really liked Q, which is exactly the camera I would like to buy. (except for this small video hiccup).
  2. NEX is not pentax, it is Sony. Even though I have always had good experience with Sony, this time my heart is saying Pentax and not sony.


09-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #1284
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
You can get her a fisheye lens for video, and you don't need AF w/ such a lens mounted
09-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #1285
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
When has new K-5 been selling for $1100 in the U.S.? The just hit $1199 at BH and Adorama after a $100 reduction by Pentax plus a $300 rebate.
$1100, $1200, close enough. It was around that price online, if I remember correctly (Amazon, etc).
09-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #1286
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
$1100, $1200, close enough. It was around that price online, if I remember correctly (Amazon, etc).
That price was as of Sep 1. The Amazon prices you refer to prior to Sep 1 were open box items and used. The prices at Amazon, BH and Ador have held over $1300 for a long time. And keep in mind these are body only prices.
09-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #1287
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That price was as of Sep 1. The Amazon prices you refer to prior to Sep 1 were open box items and used. The prices at Amazon, BH and Ador have held over $1300 for a long time. And keep in mind these are body only prices.
Ah ok, I did not realize that.
09-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #1288
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
At least one store now offering the Q for around $700 - won't be long for the prices to drop even further.

One store offering the GF3 for $479 - at that price it's starts becoming very tempting.
09-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #1289
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,452
QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
Unfortunately for me, I won't be able to buy Q. At least not in current incarnation.

AF in video is deal breaker at the moment. Because the person (my wife) for which this camera is meant to be, would not use it if it does not AF in video. She shoots everything in auto mode and I can not see her fiddling with cam to focus in video.
I hope they fix this in firmware. But it might again come too late.

Now the remaining option for me is NEX, which I do not want to get for two main reasons:
  1. I really liked Q, which is exactly the camera I would like to buy. (except for this small video hiccup).
  2. NEX is not pentax, it is Sony. Even though I have always had good experience with Sony, this time my heart is saying Pentax and not sony.
Your wife's gonna have to wait a while then, because there's no dSLR or equivalent with usable in-video AF at the moment.
09-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #1290
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,072


Interesting detail on this 05 Toy Lens Tele, as on the oher lenses : it appears to me that to date, Pentax had no factory in Thailand... is this confirmation the lenses are made by Ricoh ?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, mirrorless, pentax, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q10, q7
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spotmatic motordrive...in the flesh! pickles Pentax Film SLR Discussion 8 08-09-2010 01:00 PM
Of Flesh and Clay dantuyhoa Post Your Photos! 9 11-11-2008 11:57 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:12 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top