Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 110 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #121
Veteran Member

I think Hoya hired the same consultants to price the Q system as Sigma did to price the SD1!

At 1/3 of the price, appropriately undercutting M4/3 and NEX, for a lesser product, then they'd have a lot of interest. $800?!? $300 for essentially a kit zoom?!? Pass the bong please.

06-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #122

I don't know, I mean, this is very small, but who wouldn't buy an Olympus EPL-1 plus a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 for $770 instead of this camera with a 47mm f11 or whatever for $800? Even at $600 the Olympus is probably a way better choice. I think anything costing more than a S95 or a XZ-1 is too much.

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Obviously I'm in the minority here but I find this quite appealing though the price appears a little steep, I think $600 would have been a little more reasonable--I think that some price premium over LX5, XZ1, G12 might be warranted if the construction and glass are as good as they appear to be. I like my LX-5 but really was hoping that Pentax would make something in the same class, and it looks like this is their answer, and it looks like it might address some of my biggest complaints about LX5--a little more plastic-y than I'd like, and no remote control (I believe Q has IR remote capability), plus I believe it's compatible with P-TTL flashes of which I already own three. (I really hope it can do P-TTL wireless but I suspect they may have left that out). The control scheme and ergonomics look better, more Pentax-like than LX5, and I am hoping that metering/white balance/colors are more like my K-7 than LX5.

I hope the system does well enough for continued development (UWA and tele zooms) and that those who invest in it don't get punished by the system being orphaned.

Oh, and I think it looks great, though you just know that they're going to bring out an impossible-to-find limited-edition chrome version in a year or so that will look better than either the black or white ones.
06-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Obviously I'm in the minority here but I find this quite appealing though the price appears a little steep, I think $600 would have been a little more reasonable--I think that some price premium over LX5, XZ1, G12 might be warranted if the construction and glass are as good as they appear to be. I like my LX-5 but really was hoping that Pentax would make something in the same class, and it looks like this is their answer, and it looks like it might address some of my biggest complaints about LX5--a little more plastic-y than I'd like, and no remote control (I believe Q has IR remote capability), plus I believe it's compatible with P-TTL flashes of which I already own three. (I really hope it can do P-TTL wireless but I suspect they may have left that out). The control scheme and ergonomics look better, more Pentax-like than LX5, and I am hoping that metering/white balance/colors are more like my K-7 than LX5.

I hope the system does well enough for continued development (UWA and tele zooms) and that those who invest in it don't get punished by the system being orphaned.

Oh, and I think it looks great, though you just know that they're going to bring out an impossible-to-find limited-edition chrome version in a year or so that will look better than either the black or white ones.
I don't think anyone disregarded it about built quality or design. Also, knowing Pentax glass, I don't believe it will be a letdown.

The only problem is that all that is amazing about this camera is completely wasted beyond hope because of two little things:

1. The sensor is crap
2. The price is absurd
06-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its an eccentric step by Pentax but will see what this sensor does.
If you can see smartphone trend, they are pushing the limits of camera in a phone. take Nokia N8/N9.

06-22-2011, 11:24 PM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For M42 & K fans...definitely a NO GO on this..
06-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #126
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TOY lenses For LOMO effect are with plastic mount and fixed diaphragm.
Five Q mount interchangeable lenses designed for exclusive use with the PENTAX Q digital camera; a choice of High-performance or Unique series to satisfy diversified photographic requirements
06-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #127
Veteran Member

OK... reading too much negative comments.

Have some faith people. after all, Pentax bring us the awesome K-5 (minus video part).

Hope to see it beat Fujifilm, Sony, Panasonic, in images.

06-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #128

This is what appeared in Facebook. You can see 4 or 5 lenses and two colors.

06-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I think the design (from what I can see) is excellent. It's retro and eye-catching. The dials look tactile (I reserve judgement on quality of build at this point) and well-marked in the Pentax way.
Agree, I don't understand the negative comments.

QuoteQuote:
Again, where this competes will have a lot to do with price. We'll see if Hoya pulls a Sigma and falls down the world's longest flight of stairs.
Yes, I'm wondering if they are really going to be able to sell it for that price. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sony 1/2.33" sensor gives similar results to e.g. the LX5 sensor - the size difference isn't that big.

QuoteQuote:
If you want miniature, an iPhone has a pretty decent camera attached to a computer that can do 10x more than a 1995 Pentium ever could.
I was pleasantly surprised when I got an iPhone 4 some months ago, the camera is not bad. BUT it's a wide-angle only solution! Useful for a lot of snaps, but quite limiting for general use.
06-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #130
Veteran Member

Woeful.
06-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #131
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
For M42 & K fans...definitely a NO GO on this
Wrong target audience anyway.
I get the impression here that users here, particularly dSLR users, expecting it to be suitable for everyone.
06-23-2011, 12:23 AM   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I get the impression here that users here, particularly dSLR users, expecting it to be suitable for everyone.
I guess most here expect it to be suitable for... us. Who else?

That's reasonable considering that's an interchangeable camera to being with. The other half of the market just buys P&Ss, which are cheaper, same image quality (considering the crappy sensor they put inside) and none of the troubles. But this camera is, from what I see on the reviews, effectively offering sensor dust for USD 800.
06-23-2011, 12:23 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
However what is their target audience?
06-23-2011, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vcheng9 Quote
Imaging Resource has the hi iso samples. Looks to me ISO 800-1600 is not bad
Pentax Q Compact System Camera Samples - Hands-On Preview

$800 is incl the 47mm F/1.9. I think the body only is $600 MSRP and there will be 20-30% discount online real quick...
Yep, 1600 iso looks impressive.
If the price drops heavily, for macro & tele, why not ?
06-23-2011, 01:38 AM   #135
Pentaxian

Looks nice. Obviously that is subjective, which some people here don't seem to be able to comprehend.