Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

The 4 position dial on the front looked pretty ugly didn't it, OTOH the Fuji is just beautiful

06-22-2011, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

Bummer. Was hoping for APS-C or compatibility with K mount. How does this compare sizewise to the Sony NEX-C3? I really like the looks of the new Sony.
06-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I knew they gonna put it down. At least this is now advance info. =)
06-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #19
Forum Member

I agree, the X100 looks so much better

06-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The 4 position dial on the front looked pretty ugly didn't it, OTOH the Fuji is just beautiful
No kidding. Who designed the Q? It's like it was done by the team that designed Britain's electrical plugs and sockets.
Hopefully the Q2 will come in Q4!
06-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Boy did HOYA layoff all experience engineers for college dropouts? This thing is beyond ugly. 1/2.3" sensor? WHY???
06-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AKum8 Quote
I agree, the X100 looks so much better
that's an understatement and a half.

06-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Wow, that is one ugly camera. Looks like some cheap Chinese junk you'd see on eBay for $50...and it's going to look even worse in 8 days when Olympus announces their 3 new m4/3's bodies :-/
06-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #24
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think this is a decent development for the casual shooter.
The Q-mount would be a hit in my mind - good IQ but very compact size.
It's a little rich calling this technology 'junk' until it has been handled and used in real world photography.

Last edited by Ash; 06-22-2011 at 05:14 PM.
06-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
No kidding. Who designed the Q? It's like it was done by the team that designed Britain's electrical plugs and sockets.
Hopefully the Q2 will come in Q4!
06-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member

It is not a very attractive design. Does not look like a lot went into it.

Which camera would you vote as the best looking? I wont include the NEX because it is just butt ugly. Images stolen from mirrorlessrumors.com
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D Mark II  Photo   
06-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I am guessing who ever decided to come up with all those fan-dangle colours for the k-r. Atleast the white is more subdued than a bright pink. When those colourful cameras came out I had a twinge of shame toward Pentax and had the urge to hide when a few of my friends (Canikon users) brought them up in conversation. Sure some people might really like the colours, and yes it had reasonable performance but it just wasn't my kettle of fish. Neither is this.

And yes they should have gone for a k-mount, but there was probably a hole bunch of design restrictions.
06-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AKum8 Quote
For what concerns the camera, I think it is a way for Pentax to gain Market share where no big competitors are present.
That is a good way of saying they are going after a market that none of the other manufacturers see any money in.
06-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I see some value to it. Although with such a small sensor having lenses that can deliver thin depth of field will be challenging making interchangeable lenses a bit less useful. I'm sure fisheye would be neat if they can manage that considering the sensor size too.

Maybe looks are a bit deceiving, because Pentax always seems to do a good job with ergonomics. Having that dial over the grip looks like it will be easy to change with an index finger.

As for me, if I were in the market for such a camera... the x100's optical viewfinder tops anything and everything and that would most likely be my choice. Fuji is the only one who caters to my ideals at the moment. Now if we could get interchangeable with an optical viewfinder...
06-22-2011, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the design (from what I can see) is excellent. It's retro and eye-catching. The dials look tactile (I reserve judgement on quality of build at this point) and well-marked in the Pentax way. The lugs are rounded nicely and the shutter is reminiscent of the older rangefinders, slightly raised. It looks like it has a real hotshoe. Thre looks to be some nice touches in design where the dials are slightly above the top plane of the body proper, and the faux leather looks good on a camera with this much "face". If that front 4-digit dial is a customizable function dial, great.

Note: I do not see a "pop-up flash" as Ken 100D's earliest post indicates.

It's a bridge camera with ILC.

Its value will, and can, only be determined by price relative to its IQ.

I think in this category a critical factor will be AF in video. We'll have to wait on judgement there. I suspect 1 zoom lens will do that. Nice to see HDMI, 30 fps, 1080p, and especially H.264. Some good choices there.

Personally I believe the sensor is a notch too small for the desired market effect. Should have been 1/.17" (may not have been an option for Pentax based on supply; they may have had to go off-the-shelf, especially for the video). We'll have to see what the lens image circle tells us for the future.

I see a number of "play" lenses coming out for this.

I "see" the point of this camera as Pentax bridge cameras aren't really working and they have no answer to the LX5, S95, Nikon 8000 crowd. Now they do, with a twist. When you look at it that way, it makes sense. For Pentax in particular as Pentax makes lenses. They are, at heart, an optics company.

Again, where this competes will have a lot to do with price. We'll see if Hoya pulls a Sigma and falls down the world's longest flight of stairs.

Price. IQ. Price. IQ. Price. IQ.

Sidenote: The obsession with small cameras stops at the S95. It's too small, now thatI've had one. It's $400 balanced on 2 fingers. Yes, it can slip in a pocket. That's what my iPhone is for. When I need to brace for a shot, something bigger is absolutely necessary. There is a limit to small form factors for not only serious photography, but for even halfway decent shots. This Pentax design eschews miniaturization for photographic functionality. If you want miniature, an iPhone has a pretty decent camera attached to a computer that can do 10x more than a 1995 Pentium ever could.