Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #31
Veteran Member

If a compact underwater housing were made.. With the fisheye lens, this could be the cheapest way to get an interchangeable lens underwater setup.

06-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Sidenote: The obsession with small cameras stops at the S95. It's too small, now thatI've had one. It's $400 balanced on 2 fingers. Yes, it can slip in a pocket. That's what my iPhone is for.
I completely agree with that. I hate large cameras, even my K-7 was too large for my needs, but the S95 is entirely too small. Something around the size of the Fuji X100 is about perfect for me. Small enough to fit into a small bag like a messenger pack and not be a bother, but not so small that it's impossible to use. In all honesty the iPhone 4 is fine as an always with me pocket camera....and I'm sure the 5 will be even better.
06-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Sidenote: The obsession with small cameras stops at the S95. It's too small, now thatI've had one. It's $400 balanced on 2 fingers. Yes, it can slip in a pocket. That's what my iPhone is for. When I need to brace for a shot, something bigger is absolutely necessary. There is a limit to small form factors for not only serious photography, but for even halfway decent shots. This Pentax design eschews miniaturization for photographic functionality. If you want miniature, an iPhone has a pretty decent camera attached to a computer that can do 10x more than a 1995 Pentium ever could.
Thankfully you don't have to go Steve Jobs .... for descrete miniature compact I have a Sony TX-5. takes much better pictures than a mobile phone, isn't Apple and is waterproof down to 10 feet. tidy
06-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Note: I do not see a "pop-up flash" as Ken 100D's earliest post indicates.
You'll see, it is interesting, looks relatively fragile (think scissor lift minus one half of the scissor and you'll get the idea!)

06-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #35

Will there be a K-mount adaptor available? Looks very interesting and retro (Pentax also did a retro looking Optio compact, the I-10 by the way)

Last edited by aafuss; 06-22-2011 at 06:10 PM.
06-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wasn't expecting K-Mount myself - isnt the issue with going with K-Mount the distance to the sensor ? Being mirrorless, isn't this sitting at about 1/2 to a 1/3rd the distance that a 'normal' K-Mount would.... That would make the focus distance etc on most lenses completely out of whack wouldn't it ? So unless I'm talking out my arse... it doesn't surprise me its not a K/KAF derivative...
06-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aafuss Quote
Will there be a K-mount adaptor available? Looks very interesting and retro.
The crop factor is 5.65 - that would make a 50mm lens approximately 280mm equivalent, so, not exactly useful!

06-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Rumor has it Pentax will release a mirror less APS-C camera in August, and although it would have an adaptor for our existing k-mount lenses, they'd have to release a new range of lenses with short registration distances for it otherwise there's not much point as the K-mount adapter would make it as thick as a DSLR.

So that would make at least 4 lenses systems if that rumor is true; "Q", APS-C mirror less, K-mount, 645.

If that is true, then can we really expect Pentax to release a full frame DSLR on top of all this and with a bunch of reengineered FA lenses. How many ranges of lenses can one manufacturer with the market share of Pentax maintain?

Last edited by twitch; 06-22-2011 at 06:21 PM.
06-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I completely agree with that. I hate large cameras, even my K-7 was too large for my needs, but the S95 is entirely too small. Something around the size of the Fuji X100 is about perfect for me. Small enough to fit into a small bag like a messenger pack and not be a bother, but not so small that it's impossible to use. In all honesty the iPhone 4 is fine as an always with me pocket camera....and I'm sure the 5 will be even better.
I usually end up disagreeing with most of the posts on this forum. But I've got to agree on this, it's not that attractive. Compared to the X100, ugh. I get more questions and favorable comments about my X100. The really did that camera right from style through performance.

That said I think I saw two posts on another forum that said "It's cute." I guess it is kind of cute.

I have a G3 on pre-order and was thinking of holding off to see if Pentax came out with a Kmount mirrorless. I'm not sure I'm going to cancel that G3 now. I just hope it doesn't ship before I see the new Olympus models. I've been very pleased with the EPL2. The XZ1 is a very good camera too. That's about as small as it needs to be.
06-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Rumor has it Pentax will release a mirror less APS-C camera in August, and...
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
So that would make at least 4 lenses systems if that rumor is true; "Q", APS-C mirror less, K-mount, 645.
Sadly, I think you just discredited that rumor with logic.
06-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
And in case everyone has not noticed...

....it's almost certainly a 4:3 aspect ratio sensor.

Mini Me Micro Micro 43.
06-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #42
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote

Enjoy exceptional image quality in 12.4 megapixels courtesy of the Q’s 1/2.3 inch backlit CMOS image sensor.
Amen Absolutely nonsense system. Pentax Q is stillborn son of Hoya.
They waste money. I think that Pentax Q will be a BIG faillure of Hoya and one of the silliest invention in digital world.

Last edited by ogl; 06-22-2011 at 07:06 PM.
06-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #43
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
I know. We are all hoping for APS-C. But it seems they explored and study how Panasonic LX3-LX5 & OlyXZ-1 Cameras produced quality photos but fixed lens. This caters for high end compact with a bonus of Interchangeable lens.
LX5 and XZ-1 have better and bigger sensor. As for IQ - it's just better than ordinary P&S and nothing else....
06-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #44
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Wow, that is one ugly camera. Looks like some cheap Chinese junk you'd see on eBay for $50...
Looks like Chinese plastic toy-gadget...
06-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is it just me, or does the link not work? It's 404'ing for me and there's no references to it on the Pentax Imaging homepage or press page.