Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #106
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
I wonder if Pentax (Hoya?) did any market research for this product with actual photographers.

I mean, they put high-end features like interchangeable lenses, M/Av/Tv modes, magnesium alloy body (!!!)... It's all a wet dream, until you figure out the crap sensor behind all. Then announce at that price.

You can't figure out what market they are after with this, because nothing makes sense. Maybe the market of the smallest camera on the universe. Which is as useful as a reverse gear on a bicycle.

If Hoya are trying to kill Pentax, they are doing a great job.
I think - NO. Hoya doesn't spend money for PR or market research.
Pentax lost high-end P&S market many years ago. P&S from Pentax is tiny niche of modern P&S market...

Pentax Q is result of Hoya's economy and money saving.

06-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #107

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I wonder if the pre-orders are sold out in Japan yet? Seriously, people seem almost outraged at this camera. But I bet it will have a decent following in Japan. Heck, I'd buy it if it were $500. But then again I was tempted by the Rilakkuma K-r.
I'm not outraged. It just surprises me that Pentax would release a cam like this, with such a tiny sensor, at this price.

I can't see anyone even remotely serious about photography buying this camera. :ugh:
06-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #108
Veteran Member

I think this is a very brave move by Pentax. I don't understand: if they have the guts to produce this system, they should have the guts to go into FF.

A very new idea and hope Pentax can carve out a new piece in digital camera and profit from it.

The only serious problem with it is the price, at $800 this is seriously too expensive. It should start at $400~$450 to make it a system people could try out. At $800, there are simply too many competition out there.

Oh boy.... I have never been so worry about Pentax survival since I bought into Pentax!

I do hope.... the sale in Japan will be enough to make it a successful system!

Now I know where the money that suppose to go into improving video in Pentax dSLR camera went though...
06-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #109

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I wonder if the pre-orders are sold out in Japan yet? Seriously, people seem almost outraged at this camera. But I bet it will have a decent following in Japan. Heck, I'd buy it if it were $500. But then again I was tempted by the Rilakkuma K-r.
Probably will be clearancing them out for less than $500 in a few months...hopefully the other one they announce in the fall won't be doa.

06-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #110
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
The only serious problem with it is the price, at $800 this is seriously too expensive. It should start at $400~$450 to make it a system people could try out. At $800, there are simply too many competition out there.
Second problem - sensor's size. Third - the dust.

It's the biggest Hoya's "know-how" - to clean sensor in P&S camera...
06-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #111
Pentaxian

This camera is a real waste. I really thought that Pentax had the know-how & good sense to produce a mirrorless camera that solved all the failings of the other systems out there, but instead they´ve produced this waste of space. When I think of all the effort that could instead have gone into a real mirrorless system camera, or into beefing-up the APS-C lens lineup, it´s really depressing.

A big thumbs-down for you, Pentax
06-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #112

I pretty much agree with everyone here. The sensor/price combination is ridiculous. This product might be interesting if it were much cheaper or if the sensor were even slightly larger. But anyone who cares about all the photog-friendly features will be turned off by the sensor, and anyone who's willing to overlook the sensor won't be sold by all the extra features.

To me it just seems like an introductory level, P&S-sized SLR for people who want to have an interchangeable lens system for the sake of saying they have one, without actually knowing what they're doing or what the benefits of such a system are. Admittedly I'm being pretty harsh without actually seeing or using one of these, but on paper the specs are absolutely dumbfounding.

It's not all bad. The toy lenses seem like a fun novel idea, especially for a camera of this size. And truth be told, they do seem like the perfect complement to this body. But at those prices? Hoya's absolutely out of their minds.

06-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
And I think this Thread summarizes every Pentaxian here regarding Pentax Q.

THIS CAMERA IS NOT INTENDED FOR US.

We still have our K-5's and all. For me if i would try. I believe HOYA spent some amount to put it there. If this was nonsense, HOYA would not approved it.

Check the link for the simulator.

??????? | ?????????:PENTAX Q
06-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #114
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I know there is a lot more corporate pressure these days, AND the digital format is still a widely unexplored medium. However, let's not forget that Pentax has been in the photography industry for almost a century. Pentax has been producing camera lenses since 1930. Pentax created the first successful 35mm SLR body with an instant return mirror. Pentax created the first SLR body with a TTL meter system. They have heavily studied voigtlander's formulas, and they have directly collaborated with Carl Zeiss.

I'm pretty sure Hoya did not fire everone when it bought Pentax in 2007, and I don't think Hoya really cares that much for photography related things (Hoya is more medical supplies orientated) so long as Pentax makes money. Let's wait a few more days before we tear this product apart when it hasn't even come out yet for demo.
06-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #115

the camera does look like it's very well made though from the video engadget linked, but still, what's the point?

Viddler.com - Pentax Q Hands-On - Uploaded by engadget
06-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #116
Pentaxian

Now we know what the "EVIL" rumors were all about...

QuoteQuote:
Hoya plans to release a mirrorless camera under Pentax brand that is distinct from models already on the market. 1
I really hope they are developing an actual useful EVIL, APS-C, K-mount camera, because if those rumors were about this Q crap I'm going to be pissed.

1. Source: Pentax’s EVIL Plans Apparently Leaked by Citigroup Report
06-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #117
ogl
Banned

If Pentax puts to this camera 1/1.65" sensor or 1" sensor + fixed fast zoom + swivel LCD, it could be simply long-waiting high-end P&S camera from Pentax. Everybody will be happy.

But...They invent bike. Silly.

8.5/1.9 = 47/10.8 for FF...
useless combination sensor+fixed lens+price.

Last edited by ogl; 06-22-2011 at 11:19 PM.
06-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
THIS CAMERA IS NOT INTENDED FOR US.

Check the link for the simulator.

??????? | ?????????:PENTAX Q
After looking this simulator, and how it concentrates on "photo filters", I know what it is all about.

This Pentax Q is for hipsters with deep pockets.
06-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #119
Veteran Member

Obviously I'm in the minority here but I find this quite appealing though the price appears a little steep, I think $600 would have been a little more reasonable--I think that some price premium over LX5, XZ1, G12 might be warranted if the construction and glass are as good as they appear to be. I like my LX-5 but really was hoping that Pentax would make something in the same class, and it looks like this is their answer, and it looks like it might address some of my biggest complaints about LX5--a little more plastic-y than I'd like, and no remote control (I believe Q has IR remote capability), plus I believe it's compatible with P-TTL flashes of which I already own three. (I really hope it can do P-TTL wireless but I suspect they may have left that out). The control scheme and ergonomics look better, more Pentax-like than LX5, and I am hoping that metering/white balance/colors are more like my K-7 than LX5.

I hope the system does well enough for continued development (UWA and tele zooms) and that those who invest in it don't get punished by the system being orphaned.

Oh, and I think it looks great, though you just know that they're going to bring out an impossible-to-find limited-edition chrome version in a year or so that will look better than either the black or white ones.
06-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #120
Forum Member

Imaging Resource has the hi iso samples. Looks to me ISO 800-1600 is not bad
Pentax Q Compact System Camera Samples - Hands-On Preview

$800 is incl the 47mm F/1.9. I think the body only is $600 MSRP and there will be 20-30% discount online real quick...