Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #271
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While this sort of camera is not my cup of tea, I am surprised at the number of SLR users in this forum who are dumping on this camera. Quite likely this camera is not directed to the traditional SLR market, but to a different one.

Seems to me that we had the same sort of reaction when the KX came out in all of those wild colours. 'It would never sell' the forum users said, who is going to buy a pink or yellow SLR? Well history has shown us that there was indeed a large market, and it was in Japan and other areas of asia and that women loved the multi colours.

How many Japanese women are reading and commenting on this thread? I'd have to say maybe one or two. Having a very small capable camera that can easily fit into a women's purse maybe just what the market needs right now. Lets just give this a chance. Wait for the credible reviews on what it can , not reviews from a bunch of Canikon geeks who tend to hate anything not Canikon, but from reviewers who will look at the product with an open mind and really take it through the paces.

One of the real interesting changes in this camera is the breakthrough in Pentax technology around the speed of the flash. Seems that Pentax has been listening to us regarding flash speed and are now making changes in the next generation of cameras. Yipeee!

06-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #272
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
One of the real interesting changes in this camera is the breakthrough in Pentax technology around the speed of the flash. Seems that Pentax has been listening to us regarding flash speed and are now making changes in the next generation of cameras. Yipeee!
The LX5, XZ-1, and Canon G series can all go up to 1/2000th as well. In-fact I bought a G10 a few years ago just for that reason, but I quickly got tired of the small sensor and sold it. Panasonic has stated in the past they are working on a global shutter for m4/3's, which should allow their larger sensor cameras sync as fast as the flash can handle....but who knows when that will happen.

Anyway, has anyone found standard outdoor sample photos taken with the Pentax Q? I haven't seen anything other than those boring test shots taken at imaging-resource. It's very odd (and a bit troubling) that Pentax announced a camera but hasn't bothered showing anyone images taken with it. I can't even find samples on pentaximaging.com.
06-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #273
Veteran Member

There was speculation someplace that it's the same sensor as found in the Sony travel zoom, DSC-HX9V if I have it right. That would make sense - the chip is new in 2011.

But the image set you'll find for that camera is limited to JPEGs that went through the Sony imaging engine. They do not offer a raw option so there's little we can be certain of in regard to that chip.

I'm more interested in the imaging engine for this new Q series. It seems far more capable than found in the P&S line, much more in line with an entry-level DLSR.

We may find that the Pentax engineers have once again out-done Sony with their own sensor. If that's the case, we may have more fun here than those here with apoplexy are predicting. I'm staying optimistic. Not that anyone cares ......
06-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #274
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I was all set to say no to this because I didn't like the white/cream color. But it's also black and they have toy lenses!!! The toy lenses sealed it for me. I'm getting the black and the two toy lenses. I think it's a great idea but I'm not sure if it will sell. This is a pretty good measured response (although I still don't like the white colored one):

The Online Photographer: The Pentax Q System
Yeah, I'm attracted to the toy lenses too, and they justify the price tag.

Essentially, what this camera is about is: K-r shrunk to the size of a compact camera, with 3 primes (standard plus 2 toy) for less than $1000. A bit more with the fourth prime (fish eye).

AND retaining Pentax ergonomics and SLR like controls.

I'll have too see it in the flesh (hopefully at PMA on Sat - I will be heading straight to the Pentax stand!) to decide between black or silver - I'm inclining for silver at this stage.

I've been wishing for an SLR with a standard prime that can fit into my handbag, with good low light performance (f1.9, shake reduction, adequate high ISO, high DOF - yeah baby!)

This, or the Panasonic GF3, will be the camera I will use when I go out to lunch with my friends, when trying on clothes in fitting rooms (I currently take pictures with my iPhone, and they come out horrible), when cycling, it's a go anywhere SLR ...

I have been comparing between the NEX-C3, G3 and GF3 and slightly inclining towards the GF3. The Q has entered my comparison list with a "big bang" and went straight to the top of my list (if the image quality meets my expectations, which I will find out at PMA).

06-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #275
Veteran Member

no wide prime ? are they kidding me . what am I going to do ?
I want this camera I would get it over the LX-5 but the LX 5 goes to 28mm.
a normal pancake is useless to me . fix it please pentax give me 28mm or 35mm something I could use on the street . I guess I could get the Zoom but then why am I a Pentax shooter ?
06-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #276
Forum Member

I'm pretty sure I'll get comments and hit up conversations if I walk around wearing this thing and changing lenses, lol. How much is a conversation worth? May work well as an urban fashion accessory, but the price is indeed too steep.
06-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #277
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
While this sort of camera is not my cup of tea, I am surprised at the number of SLR users in this forum who are dumping on this camera. Quite likely this camera is not directed to the traditional SLR market, but to a different one.

Seems to me that we had the same sort of reaction when the KX came out in all of those wild colours. 'It would never sell' the forum users said, who is going to buy a pink or yellow SLR? Well history has shown us that there was indeed a large market, and it was in Japan and other areas of asia and that women loved the multi colours.

How many Japanese women are reading and commenting on this thread? I'd have to say maybe one or two. Having a very small capable camera that can easily fit into a women's purse maybe just what the market needs right now. Lets just give this a chance. Wait for the credible reviews on what it can , not reviews from a bunch of Canikon geeks who tend to hate anything not Canikon, but from reviewers who will look at the product with an open mind and really take it through the paces.

I'm not dumping on it for anything other than having a tiny arsed sensor attached to an insane price tag. Hell, the price tag is probably bigger than the sensor.

Edit: But at least Pentax can add another "first" to the history of photography . . . the worlds first interchangeable lens system with a price tag larger than the sensor.

06-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #278
Pentaxian

I don't think this is the camera for me -- the price seems a little high, and I'd rather the sensor were a bit bigger. So I won't buy it at the introductory price, or anything near it.

But I'm amused by all the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments in here! Carry on!
06-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #279

To all the people comparing the Q body to NEX and m43 ... try comparing the lens sizes ... and take a look at how much more physical control the Q has vs. these cameras. As the Panasonic 100-300 is way smaller than a 135-400mm APS-C lens, so will telephotos on this mount be super small. Large-sensor kit zooms are generally slower than f/2.8-4.5. Even the NEX 18-55mm is 2/3 of a stop slower than the Q 5-15mm, and 120g heavier. And the 100mm-equivalent toy lens gives you some idea of how small the telephotos could be. Pie-in-the-sky, I know.

When I had a Canon G11, I spent a lot of time using the Custom mode with 50mm-equivalent zoom setting recall. I'd turn the camera on and wait for the lens motor to zoom me to 50mm, where, by the way, it was not f/1.9.

Canon sold a lot of Canon G10s, and that camera had worse high ISO performance than G11.

Yes, a small sensor camera has poor high ISO. High ISO is useful for two things: extending your ability to shoot with decent shutter speed in lower light (but faster kit zoom does the same), increasing depth of field when you have a bit more light (but smaller sensor makes this unnecessary).

So I'm a bit surprised at the prevalence of negative reaction to this thing.

Last edited by Michael Barker; 06-23-2011 at 01:55 PM.
06-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #280
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems many/most Pentaxians are drawn to the brand because of its uniqueness and overall commitment to image quality. Yeah, bubblegum-colored cameras might speak volumes otherwise, but the forum's love affair with the 31, 43, and 77mm lenses point to a camera company centered around image quality. No one as yet has produced a sensor that small that comes close to APC quality; maybe Pentax will be the first. If it has the typical high ISO issues associated with compacts, I doubt it could be very popular at that price. If the X100 ever becomes readily available, I really see it as the natural alternative to the new "Q." Can't say Pentax isn't willing to try something different...
06-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #281

I just can't get over this, are they living on the same planet?

$800 for the kit, what a joke!!

You can get the APS-C NEX-C3 kit for $599 and (I know it's not the same size, same market, ...) soon the A77, a 24MP full blown DSLR for $1000.

My faith in Pentax/Hoya has never been this low.

And 5 years of development , what did they spend all those years on? Way too much Sake I guess...
06-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #282

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I'm not dumping on it for anything other than having a tiny arsed sensor attached to an insane price tag. Hell, the price tag is probably bigger than the sensor.

Edit: But at least Pentax can add another "first" to the history of photography . . . the worlds first interchangeable lens system with a price tag larger than the sensor.
These are my thoughts exactly...
06-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #283
Veteran Member

The Kenko model demoed makes more sense for the format. Hopefully, there is an adaptor in the works for C-mount compatibility--the camera makes much more sense that way. The question is how much functionality the camera will retain with the such an adaptor. The claim that Pentax had been developing this for 5 years and was actually waiting for a good enough sensor may shed some light on this whole thing. 5 years ago this would have been an interesting camera, without all the other larger sensor mirrorless cameras on the market. It could have created a little stir then (or at least the high MSRP could have been forgiven).

Another puzzle to me is the lenses released. The standard prime I can understand. The fisheye I can understand. The zoom is puzzling--with that small a sensor, come on and make a zoom with a larger zoom ratio--the zoom should at least be 24-135mm, in my opinion. That's hardly asking to much for this size sensor, espeically considering P&S options with such a sensor (and those lenses are retractable). The toy camera lenses are very strange. Am I really going to spend $900 (or maybe $700 street) so that I can get the toy camera effect? Holga is cheeper than that, and quite frankly I think (although I can't say how all feel) that the film look is a big part of such lomo/Holga photography. The price of the lenses, at least as listed, is too high. These are not complex, high-spec lenses with lots of glass. A macro lens, for instance, would have made a lot of sense, and should have been in the initial release. Does anyone know what the MFD of the standard prime and the zoom are?

Really, it only makes sense in Japan. Think Harajuku/Shibuya. That seems like the market to me--I can see hipser guys and ojou-sama's there using this. Look at the hip, modern-tecno font they are using (e.g. on the lens ring and on the quick dial). Look at the naming/numbering system--e.g. "01 Standard Lens" (in techno font)--it's like shades of Neon Genesis Evangelion or some mecha/techno Japanese concept.

Really, what I think Pentax has demonstrated with this release is that the do not care about the rest of the world, only Japan. Their products are targeted only with the Japanese market in mind and if the rest of the world like it, then it does. They don't even seem to care that such an odd product release can damage the image of the Pentax brand here in the west when all the blogs and the forums are given this kind of grist for the mill. I truly hope it does well over in Japan and hooks more youngsters on the brand! Perhaps later we can see a plastic, affordable Q model too.

The pricing, to me, seems the big sticking point. $250-$350 would have made a lot more sense. Then it would have been an interesting option. A more fun and flexible P&S--perfect for someone creative who likes to try things out without having to invest too much, or tote a big professional camera + lenses around. I could have seen that as quite a popular product, especially among a younger set. Heck for that price I might have picked it up for the times I would have wanted a P&S. It's not going to be a P&S replacement you can give you your parents, etc. until it has a collapsable zoom (which I would have expected to have the less ambitious specs of the zoom they announced) that makes its size just as manageable as a P&S.
06-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #284

There are interest out there using Q with D mount cinema lenses with f<1 which I find intriguing. just not @ $800. Other than pricing, can't really say much till we see some production samples, and high Yen and crappy USD really doesn't help one bit.
06-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #285
Veteran Member

I think most of us shoot Pentax because it's different and FUN to shoot with. Heaven forbid that Pentax introduce something that is, yet again, quite different from the competition. The market for EVIL cameras, like multi-touch tablets, hasn't yet been ironed out. Pentax is obviously trying to position themselves apart - not just hop on the same bandwagon as others have done.

Kudos to Pentax for trying something different. It looks like this camera will be fun to shoot with and find buyers provided the price comes down.